Questions about the future of Nuclear war.

Kane

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Now im no expert in Nuclear design but ive been tossing around this theory for the past few months so i figured id finally post it to see if any experts in the field of Tellar-Ulam Design could come forward and validate or deny my speculations. It started when i was reading an article on the impact of Hafnium Nuclear Isomer research and, the possibility of using the ability to "load" energy into the Isomer to use as a weapon. It seemed to me after doing some pondering about it that the ability of Hafnium to store massive amounts of energy and release them could possibly suppliment or replace the role of the classified "fogbank" Aerogel as an inter stage between the Fission primary and the Fusion secondary. By catching the free energy coming off the primary nanoseconds after detonation, id assume after technological refinement we could use the Hafnium to store that energy until finally becoming unstable and expending it into the secondary, creating radiation implosion and inducing Fusion. Its efficiency in this role is questionable, as to changing the yield of the weapon is as well questionable, i am simply curious as to whether this could actually work. It seems plausible since the quality of refined Nuclear Isomer mimicks that of an Aerogel in some ways and i think ill just feel better about the whole thing if somebody can help me out. :)
thanks again!

Hafnium can store energy in form of Neutron,
that why it used as good neutron-absorbers in nuclear reactors
it's in control rods who steering the reactor output
So inside of H-bomb, Hafnium is no good stuff

the Hafnium power source concept :D
Idea: a isotope of it called 178m2Hf would triggering by X-ray release its energy

DARPA start an R&D program on that concept
then the rumors start with article in "Popular Mechanic"
about a Hafnium power Aircraftengine
but so far no one has reproduce in experiments, that proved the concept really works

wow ;D dont really do much research into the field so i thought id put a speculation to rest . thanks for the insight
sorry bout that one ::)