Question regarding Vickers and FMC armoured vehicle manufacturers

Pioneer

Seek out and close with the enemy
Reaction score
G'day all

Might seem a streight forward question, but with all the endless corporate takeovers, does anyone know what corporations armoured vehicle manufacturers Vickers and FMC now come under please?
I'm attempting to gain some information into an armoured vehicle program of 1981-1985 and am hoping to request and gain archival information regarding Vickers and FMC's design submissions.

Thanks in advance

Regards
Pioneer

FMC spun its armored vehicle business off into United Defense, which was bought by BAE in 2005. BAE also bought Alvis Vickers from Rolls Royce around the same timeframe. So they're all technically one company now.

Good luck with the archives. They tend to suffer badly in multiple rapid acquisitions like those companies went through.

Last edited:
DMC spun its armored vehicle business off into United Defense, which was bought by BAE in 2005. BAE also bought Alvis Vickers from Rolls Royce around the same timeframe. So they're all technically one company now.

Good luck with the archives. They tend to suffer badly in multiple rapid acquisitions like those companies went through.
Thank you greatly TomS, you're a gentleman.

Regards
Pioneer

A friend of mine sent me these photos of the Vickers-FMC Bradley modifications. It seems that Vickers modified the type to mount British weapons, with the IFV variant being able to use the American Bushmaster, or the British RARDEN, and the light tank using a turret seemingly related to the VFM 5 turret, presumably armed with a 105mm cannon. I do wonder whether the chassis had to undergo and modifications, and whether it was put forward for a British requirement, or made simply for export. Is there more info about this vehicle?

Attachments

• IMG_8745.jpg
    IMG_8745.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8744.jpg
    IMG_8744.jpg
    369.5 KB · Views: 11
Damn, I thought I was onto something....
Hey, we didn't have it on here, so that helps.

Also, the caption on Junsupreme's photo must be wrong. This is not a model from the MCV-80 competition. The Bradley was indeed considered against the vehicle that became Warrior, but that was late 1970s and there was no requirement for a light tank version AFAIK. As you said, the turret on this model is likely from the VFM 5 and probably dates from the mid-1980s. Feels like it might have been for FFLAV, except I don't think Vickers offered for that.