Quantum Radar

GruntFox

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
That wouldn't be useful against quantum-radar (i.e. radar that uses quantum superposition as an identity tag, the moment you fiddle with the radar return, it'll show up as fiddled with by the radar set) if what I've read about Q-Radar is to believed.

That wouldn't be useful against quantum-radar (i.e. radar that uses quantum superposition as an identity tag, the moment you fiddle with the radar return, it'll show up as fiddled with by the radar set) if what I've read about Q-Radar is to believed.
It depends what you're actually doing with the signal. Quantum radar could theoretically protect against broadcasting a spoofed return, but other EW techniques would potentially still work and it will undoubtedly open up new EW techniques. And a viable quantum radar faces major technological issues - the need to compare the return signal with a reference copy split off it as part of the signal generation process - that gets worse the longer its range is (because of the increasing number of signals you need to hold in some form of memory without altering their quantum state).

And of course this is an issue for all EW systems, not simply SPEAR EW.

so when will we have the first production quantum radar in any fighter or surface to air system? 30 years? 40 years?

so when will we have the first production quantum radar in any fighter or surface to air system? 30 years? 40 years?
It's already being implemented on ground units from what I've heard. Although where I've heard them is a bit suspect.
It depends what you're actually doing with the signal. Quantum radar could theoretically protect against broadcasting a spoofed return, but other EW techniques would potentially still work and it will undoubtedly open up new EW techniques. And a viable quantum radar faces major technological issues - the need to compare the return signal with a reference copy split off it as part of the signal generation process - that gets worse the longer its range is (because of the increasing number of signals you need to hold in some form of memory without altering their quantum state).

And of course this is an issue for all EW systems, not simply SPEAR EW.
It's quickly becoming a thing from what I've heard.

It's already being implemented on ground units from what I've heard. Although where I've heard them is a bit suspect.
It clearly has not been implemented
Everything are pretty much 95% theoretical at this point and there are technical barrier that they must overcome
Even if experimenters can overcome the technical hurdles, quantum radar would still suffer from a fatal weakness, researchers say. The entangled pulses of microwaves provide an advantage only when the broadcast pulses are extremely faint. The extra quantum correlations fade from prominence if pulses contain significantly more than one photon—which is overwhelmingly the case in real radar. “If you crank up the power, you won’t see any difference between the quantum and the classical,” Barzanjeh says. And cranking up the power is a much easier way to improve the sensitivity.

Interesting, the Q-Radar papers I've seen said that it can be used with current radar sets. :\

Interesting, the Q-Radar papers I've seen said that it can be used with current radar sets. :\

"can be used" is not the same as "has been used".

Quantum radar is basically a new signal generator and new signal processor, the broadcast hardware can remain the same, as can the Man-Machine-Interface, so technically you can use it with existing radar, you're just replacing everything under the hood (and 80% of the cost/value I'd imagine, maybe a bit less for an AESA).
Think:
Jack Up radar
Remove old brains
Insert new brains
Lower radar

Or just think Frankenstein (and don't drop the brain).

Geez that will take awhile, more curious about the Yenisei being in a state of active and passive along with photonic radars have a better chance reaching operation.

Report on Military Applications for Quantum Computing

May 27, 2021

Military Applications of Quantum Technology

The Defense Science Board (DSB), an independent Department of Defense (DOD) board of scientific advisors, has concluded that three applications of quantum technology hold the most promise for DOD: quantum sensing, quantum computers, and quantum communications. The DSB concluded that quantum radar, hypothesized to be capable of identifying the performance characteristics (e.g., radar cross-section, speed) of objects—including low observable, or stealth, aircraft—“will not provide upgraded capability to DOD.”