Profiles and such

What about the Grognard? The Espadon? The SO M.1? Any French prototype of that period would be fine with me!

How about soemthing a bit more obscure, like the CAC CA-23 interceptor from the early 1950s?

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1479.15.html

http://jet-flight.net/ca23.html

If built it could have seen some action around the world in the late 50s, 1960s; maybe as a RAAF aircraft during the Indonesian Confrontation and VietNam War and exported to India to fight Pak Sabres in '65?

OK...I realize that the Espadon I was looking at is some dart-like comic book airplane so Google failed me again. I would like to make something real wild like that. There is so much to dig up on our forum here that I don't know where to start.

Abraham Gubler said:
How about soemthing a bit more obscure, like the CAC CA-23 interceptor from the early 1950s?

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1479.15.html

http://jet-flight.net/ca23.html

If built it could have seen some action around the world in the late 50s, 1960s; maybe as a RAAF aircraft during the Indonesian Confrontation and VietNam War and exported to India to fight Pak Sabres in '65?

I strongly second this request!!!

Regards,

Greg

See the links posted by Abraham. For now, they are one of the best information sources until Keith Meggs's new book is released (see here.

Regards,

Greg

SO 4080 - the Mach 3 cruise missile / unmanned bomber project? Les Avions de Combat Francais Vol 2 has a page on it, where this drawing came from.

index.php

I'd like to see any of the following example of fine Soviet British aircraft technology :)

Vickers non-compliant OR 330 design
index.php

Vickers 559 fighter
index.php

Saunders-Roe SR.187

Attachments

• SR.187.jpg
    SR.187.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 194
This might help a bit.

Regards,

Greg

Attachments

• vt559.jpg
    vt559.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 160
Yessir...and I thank you as it was invaluable. As I am unlikely to score money of what I do I will gladly email Hi Res images to anybody who's interested, particularly those who provided me with the resources to do so and those who are simply enthusiastic about what I do. All I ask is that it be kept for personal use and not disseminated freely for some other more enterprising chap to make a few quid off it.

Would love to see the Fairey Delta 2, WG774, in its mauve colour scheme, with the "World Record Holder" titles. Not many pictures of this historic aircraft in that dress. Thanks

By request from Maddog
Sources
-"Faster than sun" by Peter Twiss
-AEROPLANE-December 2005
-AEROPLANE-July 2001
-AIR ENTHUSIAST-May/June 2001
-Unknown Source

Attachments

• Escanear0006.jpg
    Escanear0006.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 89
  • Escanear0005.jpg
    Escanear0005.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 74
  • Escanear0004.jpg
    Escanear0004.jpg
    585.1 KB · Views: 113
  • Escanear0003.jpg
    Escanear0003.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 117
  • Escanear0002.jpg
    Escanear0002.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 126
  • Escanear0001.jpg
    Escanear0001.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 125
By request from Maddog (Post-2)
Sources
-AEROPLANE-December 2005
-AEROPLANE-July 2001
-Unknown Source

Attachments

• Escanear0014.jpg
    Escanear0014.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Escanear0013.jpg
    Escanear0013.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Escanear0012.jpg
    Escanear0012.jpg
    381.3 KB · Views: 92
  • Escanear0010.jpg
    Escanear0010.jpg
    359.9 KB · Views: 86
  • Escanear0009.jpg
    Escanear0009.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 64
  • Escanear0008.jpg
    Escanear0008.jpg
    524.9 KB · Views: 53
  • Escanear0007.jpg
    Escanear0007.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 55
By request from Maddog (Post-3)
Sources
-AEROPLANE-December 2005
-AEROPLANE-July 2001
-Unknown Source

Attachments

• Escanear.jpg
    Escanear.jpg
    448.3 KB · Views: 58
  • Escanear0001.jpg
    Escanear0001.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Escanear0002.jpg
    Escanear0002.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 68
Even if it might require a bit of fudging or extrapolation....
I would also like to cast a vote for the mach 3 Mirage. :)

Or perhaps a camo'd F-107?

Thanks for all the effort Prolific1.

Justo,

Thanks for the great pictures of my favorite aircraft of all time! As a boy, I chanced upon its image in an old book and I was immediately taken with it. This was nearly 40 yrs ago and that little purple airplane ignited a life long interest in things aeronautical for me.

I have combed books and the internet and can tell you that good quality shots of this little wonder-in this particular scheme-are hard to come by.

Thanks, again!!

You have been doing an excellent job on the profiles so far. If you are still open to new ideas, I might suggest one of the Rockwell ATF designs. It must be one of my favorites among the "fighters that never were". I made a top view of it myself, but I was too lazy to do a side and front view! Still, it might be of some help to you.

Dan Raymer has a 3-view on his site that might help: http://www.aircraftdesign.com/atf3.jpg

Attachments

• RockwellATF2.png
    RockwellATF2.png
    70.7 KB · Views: 100
  • rockwell_atf.jpg
    rockwell_atf.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 83
  • rockwell-atf4.jpg
    rockwell-atf4.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 84
Kryptid said:
one of the Rockwell ATF designs.

Very "Sukhoi-ish" appearance - a cross between T-4MS and Su-27!

overscan said:
Vickers non-compliant OR 330 design
index.php
That's bizarre... Is there any more info on this bird?

Was the briefing something along the lines of "build a lot of big airplane parts around a single bomb"?
I've seen weird planes. I've seen ugly planes. This looks wugly. But super cool ;D

Skyraider3D said:
That's bizarre... Is there any more info on this bird?

Was the briefing something along the lines of "build a lot of big airplane parts around a single bomb"?
I've seen weird planes. I've seen ugly planes. This looks wugly. But super cool ;D

The RAF's OR.330 competition is detailed in Tony Buttler's "British Secret Projects (BSP) Jet Bombers Since 1949". The specification was actually for a high altitude, high speed reconaissance aircraft to provide targetting for RAF nuclear bombers and ballistic missiles. In effect a sort of British SR-71 Blackbird.

The aircraft pictured was designed in 1954 and was a subpersonic bomber that was used as the baseline for Vicker's OR.330 design. The bomb was only 5,000 lb and it could carry it for 4,315 NM cruising between M 2.2 and 2.5 and reaching 70,000 feet over target.
The engines were not reheated R-R turbojets, it had no flaps and only a pilot for crew.