Polish K2 Black Panther procurement discussion

Phantom Fanatic

the ATF program was truly great
Reaction score
Hello all

I thought I’d start a thread for folks to discuss Polish procurement the K2 Black Panther MBT, as well as the upgraded K2PL.

It appears to have a bulkier and presumably more armoured turret. This makes sense since I've heard that Korean tank doctrine prioritises MBTs capable of operating in mountainous terrain, necessitating a lighter vehicle. Obviously Poland isn't anywhere nearly as mountainous.

And is that an APS on the turret?

It will be interesting to know how much added weight the K2PL will have. Since there is an extra road wheel and additional turret armor, I think there will be at least 5 or so tons added.

And yes I believe there is an APS on the turret.

Yes the extra road wheel seems to be the main difference. The turret of the K2PL also appears to be larger although some of that might supposed to be spaced armor.

Yes the extra road wheel seems to be the main difference. The turret of the K2PL also appears to be larger although some of that might supposed to be spaced armor.

Pretty sure that the stretched version with 7 road wheels is no longer being considered. This is from 2022.

1695778618669.png

Ok good to know, I thought so because the 7 road wheel models seem to be pre 2022. Wasn’t the Polish arms Expo a few weeks ago? I wonder if there were anymore K2PL models displayed there.

1695850324118.png
It also looks as though they're keeping turret more in line with the original shape rather than bulking it up. On a side note, would anyone be able to remind me on what style of turret the K2 and Leclerc have? It's sort of a semi-cleft design, isn't it?

Do you know if that is the interim K2 that will be procured in small numbers (around 150 I think). Or if that is supposed to be the K2PL? I’m pretty sure that there has been no K2PL demonstrator built yet.

That makes sense, I wait to see the next concept models of the K2PL. I’ve been toying with the idea of making one myself.

It's possible that we'll see a model with a turret more similar to the 7 road wheel version, but with the 6 road wheel hull. Alternatively, since the K2 uses a modular armour package, we may see the same basic turret but with a thicker, heavier armour package that provides more comprehensive protection. This would likely extend to the hull, too, in any case.

Here’s a pic of the K2PL concept I found on Wikipedia View attachment 708490
It appears to have a bulkier and presumably more armoured turret. This makes sense since I've heard that Korean tank doctrine prioritises MBTs capable of operating in mountainous terrain, necessitating a lighter vehicle. Obviously Poland isn't anywhere nearly as mountainous.

And is that an APS on the turret?
That's old model, no longer representative of K2PL. And yes, that's KAPS

View attachment 708665
It also looks as though they're keeping turret more in line with the original shape rather than bulking it up. On a side note, would anyone be able to remind me on what style of turret the K2 and Leclerc have? It's sort of a semi-cleft design, isn't it?
This is base K2. There's a separate K2PL model revealed in MSPO.

here is the model Maro Kyo talked about
I think its probably a less ambitious upgrade than the earlier 7 wheeled model.
that looks like the Trophy system on the turret.

t8nz4aqk6fmb1.jpg

I wonder why the Polish home built PL-01 MBT wasn't a valid choice for the Polish army, i was stealthier than current tank designs, and according to Wikipédia it had:
" The primary weapon of the PL-01 is a 105 mm or 120 mm cannon fitted within the unmanned turret, in accordance with NATO standards.", "The cannon will be able to shoot both conventional projectiles and guided anti-tank missiles. It has an automatic loader for its main cannon, which ensures a fire rate of 6 shots per minute. The vehicle carries 45 rounds, 16 of which are stored within the turret and ready to fire, with the remainder stored within the chassis compartment. The tank is also armed with a 7.62 mm UKM-2000C machine gun with an ammunition supply of 1,000 rounds."
"Planned designs included a 7.62 mm or 12.7 mm machine gun or a 40 mm automatic grenade launcher with a supply of 8,000 rounds of 7.62 mm, 400 rounds of 12.7 mm or 96 rounds of 40 mm grenades

I wonder why the Polish home built PL-01 MBT wasn't a valid choice for the Polish army, i was stealthier than current tank designs, and according to Wikipédia it had:
" The primary weapon of the PL-01 is a 105 mm or 120 mm cannon fitted within the unmanned turret, in accordance with NATO standards.", "The cannon will be able to shoot both conventional projectiles and guided anti-tank missiles. It has an automatic loader for its main cannon, which ensures a fire rate of 6 shots per minute. The vehicle carries 45 rounds, 16 of which are stored within the turret and ready to fire, with the remainder stored within the chassis compartment. The tank is also armed with a 7.62 mm UKM-2000C machine gun with an ammunition supply of 1,000 rounds."
"Planned designs included a 7.62 mm or 12.7 mm machine gun or a 40 mm automatic grenade launcher with a supply of 8,000 rounds of 7.62 mm, 400 rounds of 12.7 mm or 96 rounds of 40 mm grenades

PL-01 isn't an MBT. It's a 30-ton light tank based on a CV90 chassis with some sci-fi body cladding. It's protected to STANAG Level 5+, meaning 25-30mm canon. It would be dogmeat against a tank main gun round.

here is the model Maro Kyo talked about
I think its probably a less ambitious upgrade than the earlier 7 wheeled model.
that looks like the Trophy system on the turret.

t8nz4aqk6fmb1.jpg
Is that overhang on the rear of the turret supposed to be the Trophy system?