Perry Helicopter of 1923

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

here is a Perry Helicopter of 1923,it had a coaxial two large rotors,does anyone know
from which country it was ?.

https://books.google.com.eg/books?id=tikDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA39&dq=perry+helicopter+popular&hl=ar&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiw0_XL5J_LAhVEVRoKHRLcBUYQ6AEIIDAB#v=onepage&q=perry%20helicopter%20popular&f=false

http://www.oklahomahistory.net/newsletters/ttnews0404e.html

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    263.5 KB · Views: 87
  • PerryHelicopter1923.jpg
    PerryHelicopter1923.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 79
does anyone know from which country it was ?.
Until the forum software highlighted the recent posts on this thread I didn't even know that it was, let alone where it was.

Helicopters, "helos" in the US Navy terminology of my childhood, are an interest but are overshadowed by my interest in fixed wing aircraft even though my youngest nephew is in the Army and jumps out of perfectly good helicopters to earn his paycheck.

(umm, "perfectly good helicopter"? come with me a minute, we need to talk) ;)

Last paragraph of that linked page from 1924 is interesting;

That the helicopter will ever displace the airplane, though is unthinkable. Airplanes and dirigibles are absolutely beyond competition where aircraft capable of long flights at high speed are required for such purposes as the transportation of passengers, freight, and mails between cities.

Here in 2024 that bit from 1924 about the dirigible is a bit antiquated, but, yeah, the fixed-wing airplane still reigns supreme in those applications.

Helicopters ain't exactly running nonstop air freight routes from Queensland to Dusseldorf, but they do fill plenty of roles which other aircraft can not.

(the terms 'dirigible' and 'high speed' being in the same sentence has me wondering what a hypersonic dirigible would look like ...) ;)

To lift itself vertically the helicopter has to pay in power expended for the purpose and in mechanical complexities, both of which detract from its likelihood of becoming a craft capable of prolonged, fast flight.

That bit is relevant and mentioned in a recently purchased book about a 1950s US helicopter which is currently being read, & in recent online reading about the subject of next such book on my list to get;

Back
Top Bottom