Passager open Aircraft door during Landing...

Michel Van

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
During Landing Asiana-Airlines flight in South Korea (26.05 2023)
Manage a passenger to open the emergency exit door on Airbus A321-200
lucky the Aircraft was 200 meter over ground as it happened and
All onboard were seated with seat belts fastened because the plane was about to land.
and Pilots landed the aircraft safe on ground.
the Man was arrested by Police at Air Port

AA1bIODA.img

Source

I was under the impression that opening such a door in flight would be damn near impossible. Maybe because it was so close to landing there was no meaningful pressure differential to keep things squeezed closed...
Seems that normal practice is to slightly overpressurise the cabin for takeoff and landing, I expect mostly for fire safety (smoke ventilation) reasons, but I would think it would help keep the doors shut. Apparently 0.2psi is enough to keep the cockpit windows shut, which corresponds to about 500 feet of altitude. And a door is substantially bigger than a window!

I wonder what was going though the man's head when he opened the aircraft door? Good job he was arrested when the aircraft landed.
A couple decades ago, he would *clearly* have been either a terrorist or a full-blown whackaloon. Today, he'd just be one more minor clip in a twitter video compilation of people behaving badly at airports or on airplanes.

I was under the impression that opening such a door in flight would be damn near impossible. Maybe because it was so close to landing there was no meaningful pressure differential to keep things squeezed closed...
Seems that normal practice is to slightly overpressurise the cabin for takeoff and landing, I expect mostly for fire safety (smoke ventilation) reasons, but I would think it would help keep the doors shut. Apparently 0.2psi is enough to keep the cockpit windows shut, which corresponds to about 500 feet of altitude. And a door is substantially bigger than a window!
Actually, the pressure differential is much bigger at cruise altitude, since the cabin is kept at a pressure that corresponds to less than 10000 ft altitude, but the plane is cruising at over 30000 ft.
So, at cruise altitude the cabin pressure is much more than outside pressure.

Why should overpressurizing the cabin help keeping a door shut that actually opens outward?

Last edited:
Dear Spaceman,
Many airliner doors and emergency escape batches are built like “plugs” so that cabin pressure pushes them against their seals and frames. You need to pull those doors inboard a bit before you can wiggle them out.
Older airlines tended to pressurize cabins to 8,000 feet above sea level, but newer airliners tend to pressurize cabins to 5,000’ ASL. I suspect that lower cabin pressure altitudes are driven by declining health among aging Baby Boomers.
And most airliners deliberately pressurize cabins while still on the ground to prevent this sort of foolishness.

Last edited:
Dear Riggerrob,
Thank you for your explanation.

Dear Orionblamblam,
Thank you for the videos.

Why should overpressurizing the cabin help keeping a door shut that actually opens outward?
So far i understand open the Idiot a Emergency Exit Door
in contrast to modern airliner door who hold by Overpressure during flight
This emergency exit door is build to open fast and eject a slide for evacuation. (rip off during this event)

The Door in question, the Idiot had make several actions to open it
A321_Door_3R.jpg

Last edited:
According dutch NOS news

The man, from the authorities say he is 33 years old unemployed, suffer of some kind panic attack during flight.
and believe he would suffocate and wanted to get out the Aircraft.
The man who try to escape after landing is now under arrest,
Because Police estimation he would try escape criminal prosecution.
he could face up to 10 years prison do his act endanger 200 persons !

Asiana Airlines announce to keep seats next Emergency Exit Doors empty to prevent that again...

Source in Dutch: