Original spec DH121 vs B727

alertken said:
Terry: Viscounts with BEAC & AF on Silver Wing London-Paris, then the busiest international air route in the world. Nicely carved up in a cartel ("Pool"). AF announce intention to replace with Caravelle, with much UK content, such as Avon. UK, owning BEAC, exactly then, 1955/56, chose to decline to accede to the Treaty of Rome and thus be a founding Member of (then EEC). That was the greatest political blunder in UK's post-War diplomacy. So, to reject the Not-Made-Here Caravelle, and to take the (Vickers-Armstrongs-funded, egad!) Vanguard was simply folly-compounded. Of course UK should have joined Caravelle, participated in its Product Development, and shut out DC-9, then 737. Just Imagine...EADS-inc-BAC/HSAL coming into existence around 1970, to Rule the World.

Exactly right alertken. Although I suspect we have veered offtopic, I read somewhere (but for the life of me cannot remember where) that the privately owned French long-haul airline UAT - Union Aeromaritime de Transport was going to place an order for four De Havilland DH-106 Comet 4C jetliners to offset a purchase of Caravelles by BEA. UAT had been one of the original Comet 1 customers (taking delivery of three Comet 1As and losing one in an accident) and had placed orders for the abortive Comet 2......

UAT eventually ordered a pair of Douglas DC-8-32 jetliners for their francophone Africa network, and bought a third second-hand (UAT was a subisidiary of the shipping line Chargeurs Reunis)......

Terry (Caravellarella)

Hi Max,

may be here;

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1958/1958-1-%20-%200118.html

Dear Boys & Girls, here are three vintage photographs that I have purchased over the past few years of Airco presentation model of the Airco DH.121 Trident......

Terry (Caravellarella)

Attachments

• Airco Trident - 3.......jpg
    Airco Trident - 3.......jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 162
  • Airco DH121 Trident - 1.......jpg
    Airco DH121 Trident - 1.......jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 134
  • Airco DH121 Trident - 2.......jpg
    Airco DH121 Trident - 2.......jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 134
Interesting to see JFC Fuller that the outboard engines are mounted below the fuselage datum line and that the intake trunk for the inboard engine is not faired/blended into the rear fuselage/tail-fin to the same degree as the smaller production HS.121......

Terry (Caravellarella)

Welcome your return my dear Caravellarella,

we miss you so hard,and we want your effected posts.

Trident birdstrike testing. Instead of firing the birds at the windscreens, they fired the cockpit at the birds...

Attachments

• Trident_AvWeek_19630415_041.JPEG
    Trident_AvWeek_19630415_041.JPEG
    119.4 KB · Views: 15
The FARs at that time specified fresh-killed birds (the bird shots were done on the ALF-502 in the 1970s, shortly before I worked there). Where the British CARs different?

The FARs at that time specified fresh-killed birds (the bird shots were done on the ALF-502 in the 1970s, shortly before I worked there). Where the British CARs different?

It's a MythBusters thing.

It's a MythBusters thing.

There was a meme going around that Rolls-Royce forgot to thaw the birds they were shooting into the earliest RB.211s, which shattered the experimental carbon-fiber reinforced blades, leading to Rolls' bankruptcy. Of course, everybody had problems with their first-generation high-bypass engines.

At the time, the [US] FARs required the use of freshly-killed birds; the [UK] CARs and the [Europe] JARs were very similar to ease international certification, so were likely to also require never-frozen fowl.

Last edited: