Older Italian ships

red admiral

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Hi guys,

In addition to drawing aircraft, I also do ships which is what I have done most of. I was wondering if anyone was interested in me posting some of them. Usually there'll be a picture and a bit of a backstory to go with it. Most of them are Italian and fit into the alternate universe here. I'll post a bit of an assortment here. Most of the ships are from 1920s and 1930s rather than modern era. They're just nicer to draw out.

The CR-35 used to be one of Jemiba's drawings.

Attachments

• M45.JPG
    M45.JPG
    13.4 KB · Views: 254
  • Fiat_CR-35bis.GIF
    Fiat_CR-35bis.GIF
    33.6 KB · Views: 321
  • morosini iii.GIF
    morosini iii.GIF
    8.9 KB · Views: 298
Great to see some other ship drawings. But I don't really get whether this was a real ship, just a design or entirely fictional. Fictional is fine by me as long as I know how and what it relates to. And I can't say I understand it but I've added your Wesworld site to my bookmarks. I hope to photoshop-up one of those H3 designs you posted when I get some time.

Cheers, Woody

Fictional but along historical lines. There was a plan by the RM to convert an unfinished Caracciolo-Class battleship into a large aircraft carrier around 1920/21. Pictured below with retractable island and funnels at the end of the flight deck aft. Also present were a number of cranes for seaplanes. My fictional design is a rebuilt version in the late 20s early 30s. Differences include moving to a starboard island and funnel, cutting some more lifts in the flight deck, cutting down the forward hull for installation of catapults.

Caracciolo_cv.jpg

morosiniiii.gif

looking to verify source of 1920's CV design drawing, I understand the 1930 refit is fictional ......does the 1920's design have a basis in fact...I ask as I am researching a book on Italian BB's and seek a cv plan for the caracciolo design

sdae102 said:
looking to verify source of 1920's CV design drawing, I understand the 1930 refit is fictional ......does the 1920's design have a basis in fact...I ask as I am researching a book on Italian BB's and seek a cv plan for the caracciolo design

Details can be found in "La Nave Virtuale" by Enrico Cernuschi published in Storia Militare but this picture is from "Le Navi da Battaglia Classe Caracciolo" by Antonio Mascolo

You can find more pictures here from a couple of sources.

Let me know if you want to find anything regarding the book.

sdae102 said:

Details can be found in "La Nave Virtuale" by Enrico Cernuschi published in Storia Militare but this picture is from "Le Navi da Battaglia Classe Caracciolo" by Antonio Mascolo

You can find more pictures here from a couple of sources.

Let me know if you want to find anything regarding the book.
Would you be able to post the detailed design data for the Caracciolo conversion to a CV? As much data as possible would be great, size, length, width, speed, displacement, armour scheme, embarked airplanes, etc. I can't seem to find information on the Caracciolo's CV conversion anywhere else.

If there's technical data on any other CV designs or conversions, I'd also be interested

Last edited: