NSSN Virginia-class - current status and future

Just call me Ray

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Wow, someone's been posting a lot!

There were a lot of concepts for NSSN. A few of them tried for the more conventional approach, similar to what eventually became the Virginia. Some of them had a hull shape more in common with Russian designs, with the smoothed-over sail. A few others were more artists' conjecturals more than anything else with bizarre, "super-hydrodynamic" shapes and equipped with its own mini-fleet of seagoing unmanned vehicles.

Triton

Donald McKelvy
Reaction score
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com
Just call me Ray said:
Wow, someone's been posting a lot!

There were a lot of concepts for NSSN. A few of them tried for the more conventional approach, similar to what eventually became the Virginia. Some of them had a hull shape more in common with Russian designs, with the smoothed-over sail. A few others were more artists' conjecturals more than anything else with bizarre, "super-hydrodynamic" shapes and equipped with its own mini-fleet of seagoing unmanned vehicles.
Thanks for the response. I recently discovered this web site and had many questions. :) Where might I find information about the NSSN concepts?

Just call me Ray

Reaction score
PopSi and PopMech had some articles, but I cannot recall the specific issues.

fightingirish

Reaction score

The attached pic is taken from a cover of the Popsi magazine.

Attachments

XP67_Moonbat

Reaction score
I think "All Hands" magazine ran a picture like that back then. I'll have to see if I still have it.

Moonbat

TomS

Reaction score
I'm fairly sure that's not actually a pre-NSSN concept, but rather a concept for the Advanced Sail, which may show up in later years production of the Virginia class.

For a survey of several other NSSN successor designs proposed back around 2002, see this PDF of an article from International Defense Review:

http://www.kentaurus.com/downloads/IDRSub.pdf

Just call me Ray

Reaction score
I have to wonder if a Virginia can be used as an SSBN in that manner. I doubt a Trident would fit, but a purpose-designed missile would.

Demon Lord Razgriz

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
I've looked all over and I can not find the US alphanumerical designation of the VLS system used in the Virginia-Class SSN. Does anyone here have a clue as to what it is?

F-14D

I really did change my personal text
Reaction score
Demon Lord Razgriz said:
I've looked all over and I can not find the US alphanumerical designation of the VLS system used in the Virginia-Class SSN. Does anyone here have a clue as to what it is?
Unlike the Mk 41 designation for surface ship VLS, I don't believe there is a numerical designation for sub use. They seem to simply be referred to as "Submarine VLS" or "VLS tubes", because they're basically just tubes.

Starting with SSN 784 the 12 tubes of the previous VLS will be replaced by two of what's called the "Virginia Payload Tube". This is very similar to the tubes in the Ohio SSGNs except that each tube will house six rather than seven missiles (the center will now house an access tube). The VPT's can be loaded with modular systems (called canisters), which will allow greater versatility relative to the pure VLS. Don't know if this will have a designator.

Demon Lord Razgriz

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
So the US Military has given up a chance to add a alphanumerical designation to a weapons system!?! :eek:

I never thought that could happen with their love of alphanumerical designation!

F-14D

Reaction score
Demon Lord Razgriz said:
So the US Military has given up a chance to add a alphanumerical designation to a weapons system!?! :eek:

I never thought that could happen with their love of alphanumerical designation!
Since the Virginia VPT is so unique (unlike the Mk41 which was deployed on a variety of platforms and so basic, maybe they didn't thing a designator was necessary? Now, one wonders if the canisters might get designators.

F-14D

Reaction score
Triton said:
Virginia-class Batch 3 / Block IV
According to something I read in the Naval Institute Proceedings, I believe, some years back, Seawolf, and its successor were originally planned to have a sail much like depicted here. However, according to the article, powers that be thought it would make the boat look too much like a Soviet sub, and there were objections at the high levels. As a result, the design was changed, and all that remains of the original design is the little fillet at the for end of tghe sails of the Seawolf and Virginia classes.

Stranger things have happened.

Triton

Donald McKelvy
Reaction score
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com
F-14D said:
Triton said:
According to something I read in the Naval Institute Proceedings, I believe, some years back, Seawolf, and its successor were originally planned to have a sail much like depicted here. However, according to the article, powers that be thought it would make the boat look too much like a Soviet sub, and there were objections at the high levels. As a result, the design was changed, and all that remains of the original design is the little fillet at the for end of tghe sails of the Seawolf and Virginia classes.

Interesting. The concept has some resemblance to the Soviet/Russian Bars/Shuka B Type 971 (NATO "Akula") class attack submarine. I wonder what the possibility would be that it would be mistaken for an "Akula" class on the surface?
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/row/rus/971.htm

Firefly 2

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
It really depends on the training of the sighting crew, me thinks. Chances are that it could happen, and it wouldn't be the first miss-identification by military personnel. It remains a nice design from a purely aesthetic point of view though.

sferrin

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
F-14D said:
Triton said:

I'd be happy if they brought the build quality back up above 3rd world standards.

flateric

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Composite Advanced Sail configurations, studied for Virginia Block IV in late 90s

sources
http://ftp.rta.nato.int/public//PubFullText/RTO/MP/RTO-MP-089///MP-089-33.pdf
http://ftp.rta.nato.int/public//PubFullText/RTO/MP/RTO-MP-089///PowerPoint%20Slides/MP-089-33.pps

Var 1

Var 2

scaled to 1/4 Advanced Sail tests onboard LSV Kokanee in 1999

макет Advanced Sail

Virginia with AS (high-res version)

Virginia command post

another redesigned bow Virginia render