NPO Molniya 'ALCM Remora' Missile

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One of the oddest "Cold War era" projects from 80s I've heard rumour of was the 'ALCM Remora' missile, supposedly studied at NPO Molniya in the mid 80s.

Air-launched missiles would meet incoming American ALCMs launched over the North Pole and then act like remora fish, following the cruise missile at close quarters and interfering with the fusing mechanism, to prevent nuclear blasts (inevitable if the missile blew up the missile) over Soviet skies. It's not clear if there were means of jamming or control interception to either make the missile impact at once or fly to a safe detonation location, but the basic idea is clear (and crazy!)

It might just be a coincidence, but in 1985 one of the items the Soviets were reported in that year to have successfully acquired from the West (through it's technical espionage programs) for use in important on-going projects was chemical related technology (fuel?) for a 'Hybrid Ramjet Engine for Cruise Missile'.

Surely, if one was able to get the missile close enough to the incoming ALCM it would be more effective to simply destroy rather than jam?

Seems to me that the only way this concept could have been made *more* ridiculous was if the remora was meant to attach to the ALCM, hack into its control systems, and then a little miniature monkey that had been brainwashed and it's mind over-written with that of KGB officer Putin takes command and steers the ALCM back towards capitalist territory.

Ah, the flashbacks to 1950s science-fiction you are giving me are the closest thing I'll ever have to the memory of an acid trip...

Btw. What would be cool would be if it was planned to suffocate and/or get caught in the air intake... thus making for a soft landing

Orionblamblam said:
Seems to me that the only way this concept could have been made *more* ridiculous was if the remora was meant to attach to the ALCM, hack into its control systems, and then a little miniature monkey that had been brainwashed and it's mind over-written with that of KGB officer Putin takes command and steers the ALCM back towards capitalist territory.

Sounds like an Annie Jacobsen book.

PaulMM (Overscan) said:
to prevent nuclear blasts (inevitable if the missile blew up the missile) over Soviet skies.

Errr... So... blowing up a nuclear cruise missile detonates the nuke?
That... uh... yeah... uh...

quellish said:
PaulMM (Overscan) said:
to prevent nuclear blasts (inevitable if the missile blew up the missile) over Soviet skies.

Nuclear armed cruise missiles tend to be 'salvage fused', that is if they are over enemy territory and detect that they have been intercepted short of their target or are about to be, their payload is triggered.

Grey Havoc said:
quellish said:
PaulMM (Overscan) said:

Nuclear armed cruise missiles tend to be 'salvage fused', that is if they are over enemy territory and detect that they have been intercepted short of their target or are about to be, their payload is triggered.

Which sucks if you are Canadian (same goes for nuclear tipped BOMARCs)

Avimimus said:
What would be cool would be if it was planned to suffocate and/or get caught in the air intake... thus making for a soft landing

I would imagine, what with the tiny little wings, is that if you shut down the turbojet of a cruise missile the landing would be anything but *soft.*

Grey Havoc said:

That sounds like a good way to fry your own people.

I'm aware of other countries triggering a render safe mechanism under... similar conditions, but not triggering a yield.

Orionblamblam said:
Avimimus said:
What would be cool would be if it was planned to suffocate and/or get caught in the air intake... thus making for a soft landing

I would imagine, what with the tiny little wings, is that if you shut down the turbojet of a cruise missile the landing would be anything but *soft.*

Maybe, but: https://www.google.ca/search?client=opera&q=muskeg+is+bouncy&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest&gws_rd=ssl

Orionblamblam said:
Muh? I don't get it.
Muskeg/bogland being soft and bouncy makes for a soft landing?

This was probably one of the chief threats that the Soviets were hoping to defend against with the 'Remora'.