Northrop TACIT BLUE

Tacit Blue also had to meet a broad radar frequency band no matter where the aircraft was being illuminated since it was for near-front line battlefield surveillance plus had to deal with the infrared, visual, acoustic elements and operating the LPI radar, pretty tall order for that time period. B-2 had to meet the same requirements. Northrop did spend a lot of money to develop their RCS prediction code for any shaped air vehicle which definitely paid off and a lot of pole testing at the range to boot. TSSAM and YF-23 directly benefited from Tacit Blue and I would assume other non-acknowledged programs as well.

That’s the first belly pic I’ve seen…a big manned cruise missile ;)

Last edited:

Attachments

• Pages from Air Power International 1996 08-09 (22).pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 88
everything with wings looks better with canards.
A bit of a tangent to the topic, but right under this monitor atop the stack of books which raise it to a better height is a Matchbox diecast SB82 Pusher Prop, an attractive little sky blue and white T-tail canard looking like something from Piaggio or Beechcraft or Velocity.

You are not far from the truth but in Germany its called ET403 aka the father of the ICE
Aw man, in the 1980s and 1990s I had one of those in DB paint scheme with red window band in HO scale by Lima; it vanished in a move.
Great looking train. Miss the model to this day. And very much remember it having picked up "Donald Duck" nickname.

Does anyone have information on any aircraft or programs that were post Tacit Blue but Pre YF-23 more in line with an F-111 sized aircraft or role?

Last edited:
Does anyone have information on any aircraft or programs that were post Tacit Blue but Pre YF-23 more in line with an F-111 sized aircraft or role?
You would have to look at Tony Chong's book but there may have been programs still classified and prohibited from publication during that time frame, the only one I know of would be FB-23 which was in parallel with YF/F-23 and a derivative.