Northrop pre-ATF and ATF studies

There's a top view only in Tony Chong's - Flying Wings and Radical Things P223
Actually, in the Northrop NAD roadmap it seems there's a side view of it under the "Ongoing Northrop Vehicle Designs" box. The top view, when lined up with the top view provided by Tony Chong, matches near perfectly. Unless it's a side view of another project? Perhaps related to the Missileer?
1000003328.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well spotted. It looks 100% consistent.

1000003328-jpg.719402

missileer-jpg.159261

Going through my files I found this incredibly nice high res drawing of the Northrop N-371 that @BillRo sent me, I don't ever seem to have posted.
N-371.png

John B. [John Binden - Admin] drew it but I cannot remember what AFT stood for - perhaps Advanced Fighter Technology. It also has the ubiquitous delta wing after we were warned off the diamond wing by the YF-23 team. Prior to coming to Northrop, John did the configuration for the ATR-42.

According to Tony Chong this was the last "ATF" study by the 'white world' team.

Last edited:
Going through my files I found this incredibly nice high res drawing of the Northrop N-371 that @BillRo sent me, I don't ever seem to have posted.
View attachment 719413

According to Tony Chong this was the last "ATF" study by the 'white world' team.
It looks like those engines are non-reheated or am I mistaking? I recall Northrop did a series of studies for such aircraft somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom