• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Northrop Grumman B-21 Long Range Strike Bomber

Flyaway

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Seeing that the B-2 along with the B-52 are both counted in the New Start treaty how would the B-21 be treated especially if Australia and or the United Kingdom flew them? Would those two countries need to be included in the treaty? How would an opponent know in a time of crisis the nationally of a B-21 headed their way and whether or not it had nukes on board? The last heavy bomber the U.S. exported was the B-29. I don't see the B-21 being exported.
I presume they’d export versions without the ‘nuclear wiring’ on the aircraft so to speak.

Forest Green

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Seeing that the B-2 along with the B-52 are both counted in the New Start treaty how would the B-21 be treated especially if Australia and or the United Kingdom flew them? Would those two countries need to be included in the treaty? How would an opponent know in a time of crisis the nationally of a B-21 headed their way and whether or not it had nukes on board? The last heavy bomber the U.S. exported was the B-29. I don't see the B-21 being exported.
The treaty would just be between the US and Russia, otherwise the US could ask for China to be included, which opens a whole new can of worms, and is probably the reason there won't be a treaty.

kaiserd

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
The treaty would just be between the US and Russia, otherwise the US could ask for China to be included, which opens a whole new can of worms, and is probably the reason there won't be a treaty.
I wouldn’t overly worry about the complex consequences of export B-21s.
IT’S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Desertfox

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
The US has two options on the B-21s and New START. This is assuming New START continues unchanged. This is also assuming the B-21 meets the definition of a "heavy bomber" and can't be simply ignored like the Tu-22Ms.

1) Declare it non-nuclear and have it excluded from the treaty, as was done with the B-1s and a number of B-52s.
2) Declare it as nuclear and countable under the treaty, replacing the nuclear capable B-2s and B-52s. Each B-21 would therefore count as one warhead.

Export version do not matter under the treaty, just as British Tridents are not accountable.

rooster

Reaction score
When Dutch offered the F-117 to England the US had already advanced stealth technology beyond flat plates. The raider will be the epitome of US stealth technology and likely have technology in it we don't even know exists. I don't foresee the USA offering that for sale even to close allies like Australia or England and risk loosing that technology to anyone under any circumstances

Foo Fighter

I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
Reaction score
I do not see the UK ever having the finances to run the things unless there is a heavy duty rubber band in the schedule. With all the other items on the to acquire/buy/engineer where is the money? Some time ago I know but Chieftain was restricted on track milage we were then restricted on how long the engines could run and finally on engine revolutions. Having bought two bath toys, yes big bath toys, we are going to have to very carefully dole out money for programs. Whats that, you need new tyres for the staff car? Get real, run it on the rims or use Challie 2 wheels.......

zebra159357

Reaction score
"As the first B-21 enters final assembly in Palmdale, California, the Northrop Grumman-led program is on track to hit a first-flight target in two years, although the first signs of schedule pressure have appeared. Most of the details of the U.S. Air Force’s newest stealth bomber remain a tightly guarded secret, but those facts released show the program is following a conventional trajectory despite being managed by an organization with the word “rapid” in its ... "

FighterJock

Reaction score
"As the first B-21 enters final assembly in Palmdale, California, the Northrop Grumman-led program is on track to hit a first-flight target in two years, although the first signs of schedule pressure have appeared. Most of the details of the U.S. Air Force’s newest stealth bomber remain a tightly guarded secret, but those facts released show the program is following a conventional trajectory despite being managed by an organization with the word “rapid” in its ... "
Good news that the first prototype B-21 has entered final assembly at Palmdale. :cool:

rooster

Reaction score
Good news that the first prototype B-21 has entered final assembly at Palmdale. :cool:
Don't people think we are building more than 1 at this time?

FighterJock

Reaction score
I wonder how much money was spent redesigning the logo instead of working on the B-21?
Pretty sure the logo change wasn't charged to the B-21 program.
Let’s hope so, I preferred the old NG logo over the new one, but I suppose that they have to move with the times. And I will probably get to like the new logo with time.

bring_it_on

Reaction score
I really love this logo. After the OATK acquisition they really needed to do a logo and re-branding that emphasized everything from stealthy aiframes, to advanced rockets and their space and sensor business. Also, there is something about this logo that says Great Power Competition in a way their older design really could't.

flateric

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
most of current employees and veterans I know don't like it

FighterJock

Reaction score
Let’s hope so, I preferred the old NG logo over the new one, but I suppose that they have to move with the times. And I will probably get to like the new logo with time.
Definitely wasn't easy to swallow.
You are right about that In_A_Dream, I was a bit annoyed when I first saw the new logo so it probably showed in my initial post.

Sundog

Reaction score
Let's hope the in house marketing group made the logo. I would hate to think they paid a professional marketing team for that logo. It almost looks like they made it in MS Word and forgot to turn off the formatting marks.

They should have consulted with whomever made Bell's new logo. Now there's an excellent logo that also conveys what they do, in a very cool way.

Sundog

Reaction score
The inlets being further "forward", the shorter aft fuselage. and the cockpit being farther back are just the result of this being an overall smaller vehicle than the B-2, IMHO.

sferrin

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
A shame it will be so limited. I was hoping for an actual bomber not a modern A-12.

bring_it_on

Reaction score
A shame it will be so limited. I was hoping for an actual bomber not a modern A-12.
The biggest challenge to being fielded in 100-150 strong force is the unit price. They designed something that has a strong chance of being fielded in numbers than the biggest, baddest bomber they could have built. To do the latter would have involved killing some other high profile program which would have also had negative consequences.

TomS

Reaction score
There's a huge space between the B-2 and the A-12's realistic payload/range figures. I know they claimed 8x2000-lb bombs for the A-12, but that just can't fit in the A-12's actual bays. And even the Avenger's claimed range is way short of the intercontinental range claimed for the B-21.

This aircraft is clearly significantly larger than an A-12 class aircraft. But think B-47, not B-52.

In_A_Dream

Reaction score
The biggest challenge to being fielded in 100-150 strong force is the unit price. They designed something that has a strong chance of being fielded in numbers than the biggest, baddest bomber they could have built. To do the latter would have involved killing some other high profile program which would have also had negative consequences.
Yes, NG worked this just right :)

Flyaway

Reaction score
The fact that it looks so similar to the supposed RQ-180 kind of indicates they may have saved time and money by pulling across lots of experience from that program into development of the B-21.

And you can also see why I think they maybe fielded together.

In_A_Dream

Reaction score
The fact that it looks so similar to the supposed RQ-180 kind of indicates they may have saved time and money by pulling across lots of experience from that program into development of the B-21.

And you can also see why I think they maybe fielded together.
:)