Northrop Grumman B-21 Long Range Strike Bomber

Foo Fighter

I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
Reaction score
I do not understand why people bother to photochop stuff at all, what is the point?

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
Not to mention the odd bit of grey propaganda/misinformation. Hiding any real leaked info in a sea of noise is a time honoured tactic for instance.
;)

Flyaway

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Won’t they be building the first example by now as I thought it had completed all its design reviews?

Foo Fighter

I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
Reaction score
Shirley it will take at least a year to wind up the elastic bands.

FighterJock

Reaction score
Won’t they be building the first example by now as I thought it had completed all its design reviews?
I certainly hope that Northrop have started building the prototype now and that there has been no delays as a result of the design reviews.

rooster

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
They likely have 2 under construction, staggered. Very exciting, but not as exciting as 1988 when the F-117 and B-2 were revealed with 2 ATF waiting in the wings. Considering the B-21 is partially based on some existing and proven technology, I wonder if they pull the wraps on some unseen drone/plane/demonstrator that precedes the Raider after the Raider reveal.

rooster

Reaction score
Nothing new, but will keep the thread fresh:

Smartguy31

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Interesting comment in the article '“We’re closely monitoring the build of the additional test aircraft and associated software to support the first flight,” ' 'additional' test aircraft so more than one in production?
Nothing new, but will keep the thread fresh:

rooster

Reaction score
Well given the programming timing to field it, they can't build 1 and wait a year or two before they get article #2 and #3 in the air. With the aggressive timing, it's a given they are building more than just 1 at time of rollout.

After re-reading, it sounds like #1 is completed. I wonder if they have gotten the point of taxi tests yet. Would be amazed they could do that with such a large aircraft and keep it secret.

Public rollout must be coming any time now.

the USAF is finally seeing some sunlight after the long drought. New AAM coming out, JSF in full swing, B-21 coming into the light any day apparently, hypersonic weapons, new ALCM coming along with ICBM program, the new tanker. Cross your fingers for PCA.

zebra159357

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
We will see, maybe we will witness 2 big rollouts in Q4 of this year, the B-21 and chinese H-20.

totoro

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Hmm... not so sure it means the first one is completed. But it may be well along by now and we may indeed see a roll out sometime in 2020. If B-2 programme is something of comparison, then we may have 8 months between a roll out and first flight. So first flight in late 2020 or sometime in 2021?

rooster

Reaction score
Hmm... not so sure it means the first one is completed. But it may be well along by now and we may indeed see a roll out sometime in 2020. If B-2 programme is something of comparison, then we may have 8 months between a roll out and first flight. So first flight in late 2020 or sometime in 2021?
That has always been a mystery to me. Look at the time between rollout and flight of other aircraft. 8 months makes me wonder if what was rolled out was a complete aircraft. What was the time between rollout and powered taxi tests?

NeilChapman

Interested 3rd party
Reaction score
At least one hopes that the the RCO we're not going to see 10 Block 10 aircraft with no initial capability to launch conventional guided weapons. Perhaps we'll get more than two test aircraft to move rapidly through flight tests.

Even with mature technologies it has to be a quite an endeavor to integrate it all in a new platform. Wasn't it reported that the coatings plant completion is Christmas 2019? With that, would they get coatings from a development location for test aircraft or would test aircraft come after?

I still think an optimistic date for first flight is 2021.

flateric

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
That has always been a mystery to me. Look at the time between rollout and flight of other aircraft. 8 months makes me wonder if what was rolled out was a complete aircraft. What was the time between rollout and powered taxi tests?
B-2 was rolled out on certain date to comply with a schedule to avoid financial sanctions afair. It was _very_ far from being ready for a first flight. She even doesn't have all avionics and ejection seats installed and windows were masked to conceal this fact. (My memory may serve wrong though).

FighterJock

Reaction score
B-2 was rolled out on certain date to comply with a schedule to avoid financial sanctions afair. It was _very_ far from being ready for a first flight. She even doesn't have all avionics and ejection seats installed and windows were masked to conceal this fact. (My memory may serve wrong though).
You are right about the first B-2 flateric, it took Northrop a further year or so to get the avionics and other bits that were missing fitted. I hope that they do not do the same thing with the B-21.

sferrin

Reaction score
Why would anybody think the first aircraft would be ready to go fly missions off the line? When's the last time that happened?

kitnut617

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Even with the desperate situation Germany was in towards the end of the war, their ""new"" designs were going to take a few years before they went into service, I don't think the Allies were in any different situation.

sferrin

Reaction score
With the B-1B there had been the previous 4 B-1As to do a lot of R&D with so the first B-1B made it into the fleet (though probably wasn't ready right out of the gate). I seem to recall there being one or two "iron" birds in the B-2 program that didn't fly. . . I don't know why the B-21 would be any different.

coanda

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
With the B-1B there had been the previous 4 B-1As to do a lot of R&D with so the first B-1B made it into the fleet (though probably wasn't ready right out of the gate). I seem to recall there being one or two "iron" birds in the B-2 program that didn't fly. . . I don't know why the B-21 would be any different.
A lot of it will be cleared in simulation and minor rigs these days. Big aircraft companies want to minimise the footprint of a development program as much as possible because all that money isn't directly earning them profit. If they're like the company I work for, they're looking for automated assembly of large scale structures that cuts down assembly time to the absolute minimum. Ok, they're not after the build rate that airlines want for the next single aisle, but there will be things that take a lot longer to do (fit and finishing etc...) than on an airliner build line.

sferrin

Reaction score
A lot of it will be cleared in simulation and minor rigs these days. Big aircraft companies want to minimise the footprint of a development program as much as possible because all that money isn't directly earning them profit. If they're like the company I work for, they're looking for automated assembly of large scale structures that cuts down assembly time to the absolute minimum. Ok, they're not after the build rate that airlines want for the next single aisle, but there will be things that take a lot longer to do (fit and finishing etc...) than on an airliner build line.

Yes, but look at recent things like the F-35, CH-53K, SpaceX, etc. All use development articles.

coanda

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score

Yes, but look at recent things like the F-35, CH-53K, SpaceX, etc. All use development articles.
I think we mean slightly different things. I doubt that there will be a full 'Iron Bird' or major static rigs.

I agree that the first aircraft and probably the second are not likely to be production representative (if at least because it'll be full of extra wiring, boxes, and sensors for flight test, and it isn't actual trivial to remove that stuff)