North American-Rockwell NR-349 "Retaliator"

Re: North American-Rockwell NAR-349 "Retaliator"

archipeppe said:
Enjoy it... ;)
Archipeppe,
Great looking drawing of a project I'd like to model someday, although I've never been able to find images depicting the whole configuration. Can you let us know where, if anywhere on the drawing, you're guessing?

Regards,

Taildragger

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this design draw heavily on the RA-5C Vigilante?

taildragger said:
archipeppe said:
Enjoy it... ;)
Archipeppe,
Great looking drawing of a project I'd like to model someday, although I've never been able to find images depicting the whole configuration. Can you let us know where, if anywhere on the drawing, you're guessing?

Regards,

Taildragger

I second Taildragger's sentiments!!!!!!

The 'Retaliator' in my opinion had merit, as an advanced and cost-effective interceptor!
I think it's biggest problem with being excepted would have been U.S military's interservice rivalry - the USAF was not likely to adopt a USN designed aircraft!!
I remember reading elsewhere that the original North American A-5 Vigilante (NAGPAW) design had a two tail fin arrangement - so as to negate the issue of hanger roof space aboard a carrier. But the USN was sceptical at the time, for such a advanced arrangement - the navy insisting on the single-folding tail fin arrangement. I think the 'Retaliator' design would have benefitted in stability, design strength and simplicity if a two tail fin arrangement was implemented! (any chance of this Archipeppe ??? ?)

Regards
Pioneer

First of all, let me thanks all of you sirs for your kind comments about my work.

To realize the NAR-339 drawing I started, obviously, from the original A-5 drawings (there's a lot available on the net and in several dedicated publications as Squadron/Signal and Aerofax ones, for istance) helped with very few drawings found out on Internet (at least only three!! I know, is very poor references but anyway better than nothing).

I enclose the drawings I have about the matter, even I'm pretty sure that they can also be found on this Forum in appropriate topic.

I agree that a twin tail A-5 would be more effective (and even have more appeal, a sort of Tomcat's prequel) but I've found anything about that and I don't like to speculate without solid ground proofs.

Attachments

• 285-North_American_NR-349_Interceptor_proposal.jpg
    285-North_American_NR-349_Interceptor_proposal.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 858
  • ava55.jpg
    ava55.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 817
  • NAR-339.jpg
    NAR-339.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 831

archipeppe, your previous post and one of the pics wrongly label this project as the NA-339.

Please note that this designation was reserved for the project for the canceled US Navy equivalent of the A-X program.

The ABC Improved Manned Interceptor (IMI) tri-jet Vigilante project for U.S.A.F. and R.C.A.F was the NR-349.

Stargazer2006 said:
archipeppe, your previous post and one of the pics wrongly label this project as the NA-339.

Please note that this designation was reserved for the project for the canceled US Navy equivalent of the A-X program.

The ABC Improved Manned Interceptor (IMI) tri-jet Vigilante project for U.S.A.F. and R.C.A.F was the NR-349.

Thanks for the clarification Stargazer, sometimes is difficult to make way among US manifacturers designation... ::)

Ok Archipeppe, your wish is my command ;)

"The original NAGPAW design had twin vertical stabilizers, and this was actually how the mock-up was configured when it was reviewed in March of 1956. However this was changed to a single vertical stabilizer shortly thereafter (the USN getting cold feet with this revolutionary design idea of smaller twin-vertical stabilizers). The vertical tail was sufficiently tall that it had to be fitted with a hinge so that the top could be folded to the left for stowage aboard aircraft carriers."

Regards
Pioneer

Attachments

• The mock-up of the North American NAGPAW (North American General Purpose Attack Weapon) in 1957.jpg
    The mock-up of the North American NAGPAW (North American General Purpose Attack Weapon) in 1957.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 794
Pioneer said:
"The original NAGPAW design had twin vertical stabilizers, ...."

We had the NAGPAW here http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,659.15.html ,
the patent only shows a single fin, but maybe that the actual design actually started with twin fins,
when the patent already was filed. But re-reading the post in the mentioned thread, there still seem
to be some uncertainty.

What happened to the previous thread on this? Most of these pics have been on this site for years (that's where I got the pic for my avatar) but now they seem to be gone.

Thanks to our Circle-5, which provided me several neat shots of factory desktop model of NR-349, I was able to modify (or at least improve) my drawing, any comment is welcomed (as always).

Attachments

• North American Rockwell NAR-349 Retaliator_01.jpg
    North American Rockwell NAR-349 Retaliator_01.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 544
I don't know enough to 'critique' it, but I do know that I love your talent & style of work. Thanks.

foiling said:
I don't know enough to 'critique' it, but I do know that I love your talent & style of work. Thanks.

Thanks Foiling, your appreciation and kind words are always welcomed.

Back
Top Bottom