North American Aviation in the Jet Age: The California Years, 1945–1997 Hardcover – January 28, 2020 by John Fredrickson (Author)

bercr

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score

5137ekB4J1L._SX387_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

During the waning days of World War II, a frenzied race was underway in rubble-strewn Europe as US and Soviet forces sought to seize advanced German weapons technology. Over the next quarter century the North American Aviation (NAA) would enhance these spoils of war into fearsome weapons in America’s arsenal. There’s the swept-wing F-86 Sabre jet fighter, which would go on to be the only Allied warplane to outmaneuver a Soviet MiG-15 over Korea. X-15 rocket planes carried humans to the boundaries of space, setting speed and altitude records that still hold today. The stories of these weapons and the engineers who nourished them is a fascinating look into postwar corporate history of the NAA and its impact on the United States’ aviation and space history.

Size: 8 1/2″ x 11″ | 249 color and b/w photos | 224 pp
ISBN13:
9780764358746 | Binding: hard cover

Oh I hope they have all the good stuff in that book.

It sounds promising, particularly if they include their missile efforts and the divisions that resulted from them. I think, though, that I shall wait and see what it actually covers before deciding on whether or not to purchase it.

I have a semi-related question that maybe a British old-timer can answer. Back in 1992, Putnam Aeronautical announced a book in its regular manufacturer series that was to be entitled "North American and Rockwell Aircraft Since 1928". The book obviously never saw the light of day (unfortunately), but I was wondering if anyone may have an old catalogue that shows the intended cover art for the book, or any other information for that matter.

I have a semi-related question that maybe a British old-timer can answer. Back in 1992, Putnam Aeronautical announced a book in its regular manufacturer series that was to be entitled "North American and Rockwell Aircraft Since 1928". The book obviously never saw the light of day (unfortunately), but I was wondering if anyone may have an old catalogue that shows the intended cover art for the book, or any other information for that matter.
In 1998 a publisher named Narkiewicz/Thompson did a 2 Volume set titled North American Aircraft 1934-1998 (Vol 1) and 1934-1999 (Vol 2) by Norm Avery. The story I was told by the owner of Aviation Books in LA was this was the Putnam manuscript. I have both volumes-they are very nice with good photos and 3 views of the planes NA built. It has a listing in one volume of all the NA projects but sadly few pictures or 3 views of aircraft which didn't leave the drawing board.

It has a listing in one volume of all the NA projects but sadly few pictures or 3 views of aircraft which didn't leave the drawing board.

Any chance to share it?

I have them. They're good.

In 1998 a publisher named Narkiewicz/Thompson did a 2 Volume set titled North American Aircraft 1934-1998 (Vol 1) and 1934-1999 (Vol 2) by Norm Avery. The story I was told by the owner of Aviation Books in LA was this was the Putnam manuscript. I have both volumes-they are very nice with good photos and 3 views of the planes NA built. It has a listing in one volume of all the NA projects but sadly few pictures or 3 views of aircraft which didn't leave the drawing board.
I have those books, but the authors were named Avery and Thompson. In the Putnam catalog I have the author is listed as D. Baker. So is it really the same manuscript?

I have those books, but the authors were named Avery and Thompson. In the Putnam catalog I have the author is listed as D. Baker. So is it really the same manuscript?
It was the story I was told-regardless they are very decent books on NA aircraft

For those who like unpublished photos (like me), this book is full of them. For instance a full page color photo of a line-up of Navions... Or cocooned F-86s on the San Francisco bay... Outstanding. Regarding the accuracy of the text, I do not know... But surprised by a X-10 vertically launched on its booster ??? Rather G-26... The good news is that there will be (perhaps) a third volume on Columbus plant.

Any review? Thank you.
I had a flick through, its more of a generic company history covering major programs, not really anything project related.

Three new designs for me inside book:
p7 -> straight-wing twin-turboprop bomber without designation (identifying maybe possible by checking the NA-... list?)
p21 -> NA-148 (not the the executive transport based on Mitchell) - it's a four-engine contrarotating-turboprop commercial airliner (drawn 12-3-46, named NA 148 P10)
P176 -> E.S.O. 2969 - twin (propeller-)engine medium aircraft for eight passengers, 1954

For those who like unpublished photos (like me), this book is full of them. For instance a full page color photo of a line-up of Navions... Or cocooned F-86s on the San Francisco bay... Outstanding. Regarding the accuracy of the text, I do not know... But surprised by a X-10 vertically launched on its booster ??? Rather G-26... The good news is that there will be (perhaps) a third volume on Columbus plant.
Definitely hoping for, and looking forward to, a volume on the Columbus plant and it's products and projects; there's a lot of interesting material there.

Definitely hoping for, and looking forward to, a volume on the Columbus plant and it's products and projects; there's a lot of interesting material there.
A friend is putting the Columbus book together - it will be well worth the wait!

Enjoy the Day! Mark

I recall seeing an illustration of the edition offered by the Naval Institute Press (they published many of the Putnam's titles in the US). It depicted an RA-5C Vigilante, nose high and about to touch down on a carrier. The view was from the starboard quarter and above, as if seen from the carrier's island.

A friend is putting the Columbus book together - it will be well worth the wait!

Enjoy the Day! Mark
That's most encouraging. I used to work with a gent who had worked at NAA-Columbus from 1954 until they closed. He went on to work for GE engines, Cessna, Learjet, and Northrop (I worked with him at the last three). He had some interesting stories to tell.

Back
Top Bottom