Next Gen Close Air Support

prolific1

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Website
lost-aviation.blogspot.com
This was a little thing I cooked up as a successor to the A-10. I feel that the USAF should think twice about replacing the A-10 with some fragile fast jet that lacks the loiter time and robustness necessary to do the job. I know there is an obsession with high tech so this model has a few things to bring it in to the next century but largely it recycles much of the proven components from the A-10 among others. Orionblamblam told me it resembles some piece of Eastern European kit...but I forgot what that was.

Attachments

• closeairsupport.jpg
    closeairsupport.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 269
Very nice piece of work. Kind of a A-10-ARES-Skorpion, all in one.

PZL 230 Skorpion concept from Poland. Early..ish concept

Attachments

• POL- PZL 230F Skorpion MM_1a.jpg
    POL- PZL 230F Skorpion MM_1a.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 367
  • POL- PZL 230F Skorpion MM_2.jpg
    POL- PZL 230F Skorpion MM_2.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 112
That's funny since I wouldn't describe myself as anything approaching an engineer yet I came to a similar design conclusion as something that could fly. If I were as much as a Airplane geek as I would like to be I would have known of the Skorpion's existence before I made my drawing. With a little tweaking I could pass it off as a Skorpion cutaway I guess.

I just thought I'd comment and say that this is quite a nice cutaway rendering. I have a rather substantial collection of cutaway illustrations and I think I can speak with some authority that this is rather good.

Thanks. I will have more stuff appearing in Scott Lowther's APR Magazine (Project Pluto SLAM) since I love doing cutaways of off-the-wall stuff rather than the countless F-16's and F-22's out there. I really like making illustrations of stuff that has little or no information other than a basic three view since I enjoy the extrapolating aspect of it. That said I am considering making a cutaway of an asymmetrical nuclear powered bomber I viewed in APR.

That's actually very interesting. I am a cutaway collector so if you are interested in selling your art, let me know.

Sure. I'm working on a bunch of stuff that will be available after it has been published. Some other things will be available after I complete them as there are no firm plans to publish them.

Well the Close Air support needs to be tightened up a bit. I guess I could get a print made of it and maybe splash some color too. I need to import it into Photoshop to clean it up since I'm old fashioned and draw with a pencil on paper.

No need for that. I'm actually more interested in the originals as they are; even in pencil. I've been collecting original artwork for some time. So let me know if this is possible and feel free to email me directly if you choose.

Also, I have no interest in obtaining reproduction rights. I'm just interested in the illustration.

Prolific1, seems it's usual pen and handwork? Very impressive, we have another Mike Badrocke here I sure!

Prolific, your drawings are great!! Love that mech-raptor :eek:

I'm starting to think of YF-23 cutaway...Had my very old pencil attempt at home...

doggedman said:
I have the drawings of the YF-23A if they will help.

The source? Official 3-view (I've a bunch) or something else?

Attachments

• 22281.jpg
    22281.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 191
  • 22306.jpg
    22306.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 198
I have the inboard profiles. A cutaway was done by Badrocke (I think) for Air Power review some time ago.

Well, don't be too concerned. It did not contain a significant amount of detail and was fairly generic. So I don't think you would loose any credit whatsoever if you decided to do one. Also, note that I'm working on getting some additional drawings. I'm assuming you are more interested in the F-23 production configuration than the two YF-23A prototypes? BTW, the artists I have been impressed with so far for aviation cutaways are: John Batchelor, Albert Bentley, Joe Picarella, and J.H. Clarke. John is conceivably one of the most talented artists I've ever seen and Joe is simply terrific. John actually does all his work with goache on illustration board. Joe does the original drawing by hand and finishes it in Photoshop. At there highest resolution, you can actually see all the rivets.

That is often the level I want to do. I usually try to scale up each new drawing I do to include more detail. I have yet to apply this completely to cutaways but I plan to. This is a wild example that is no way connected to aviation. I'll have to look up their work. As for the F-23 the production version may be the best to do. That being said, I am interested in which ever has the most information.

Attachments

• machine_color.jpg
    machine_color.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 70
Actually I am familiar with Joe Picarella's work in flight international and have a bunch of Clarke's work in a book of WW2 planes. John Batchelor's stuff is also familiar to me as well. I like his stuff because of the color too.

With respect to John, it's utterly amazing how much detail is lost when his work is printed. His originals show infinitely more detail. Too bad that John only does a cutaway now and then, maybe once a year.