Reaction score
Hi,

there is two projects for Nash-Kevinator,all of them related to
the Sikorsky designs,first XJRK-1 a 37-passenger four-engined
heavy flying boat developed from Sikorsky XJR2S-1,and the
R-6B a project for the Sikorsky helicopter with the Lycoming
O-435-7 engine.

http://www.aerofiles.com/_n.html

Well, Nash-Kelvinator was first and foremost a manufacturer of refrigerators! They did, however, have great aviation-oriented advertisements. Here is the best of them:

Attachments

• 16315a1.jpg
    16315a1.jpg
    1,022.4 KB · Views: 171
There was some production adjacent to the refrigirators.....
The YR-6A was identical to the XR-6A except for some minor modifications. 26 were built by Nash Kelvinator with serials 43-45316/45341. The R 6A was the production version and 193 were built by Nash Kelvinator with serials 43-45342/45534.
The R-6B version was to be fitted with a Lycoming O-435-7 engine but production by Nash Kelvinator was cancelled.

The XJRK-1 was a four engined light transport flying boat for 37 passengers which was not built.
The Nash Kelvinator advertisements from 1942 provided by Stargazer shows indeed the Sikorsky JR2S (S-44). It is possible that consideration was given to building the JR2S at the Nash Kelvinator plant as XJRK-1, although there is no evidence whatsoever to support this assumption.

Yes, and another advertisement which seems to indicate the same...

Attachments

• A refrigerator and an automobile go to war!.jpg
    A refrigerator and an automobile go to war!.jpg
    925 KB · Views: 148
So, Nash-Kelvinator was going to build Vought-Sikorsky VS-44 flying boats under license?

It would seem so. I have collected U.S. Navy designations all my adult life but I have to say this XJRK-1 thing was unknown to me. I really would appreciate a source for this, although visual evidence (above ads) seems to go for it.

United States Navy Aircraft since 1911, Swanborough & Bowers, 2nd edition, NIP 1976
in the Designation Index (pages 527 - 540):
JR-UTILITY TRANSPORT, 1935-1955
JRK NASH KELVINATOR Proposed four-engined 37-seat boat.

Well the Nash facility in Wisconsin did build R-2800's primarily for F6Fs and F4Us. It was also re-activated during the Korean conflict. Also it is my understanding that during the war the Kelvinator facility in Michigan was the the largest builder of props in the US, and possibly the world

Under the Lend-lease agreement between Britain and the US serials (JW670-681) were allocated but cancelled, in addition to Sikorsky JR2S (JX570-581) also not taken up/cancelled