NASAs 1969 Manned Flight to Jupiter Study

Graham1973

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
This would appear to be NASAs response to Kubrick's film. Aside from a study into landers for outer-planet missions this is one of the few 1960s studies that looks at sending men beyond Mars.

An exploratory analysis was performed to determine the feasibility of outer planet, round-trip Mission profiles which might have manned flight applications. Simplifying assumptions used minimized the analytical effort, but the main conclusions are still considered valid. A round-trip flyby of Jupiter of approximately 1000 days duration was found, which appears to be within the capabilities of technology generally assumed for a manned Mars stopover mission. Missions beyond Jupiter were found to be either of very long duration or very demanding in terms of propulsion requirements.

Multiplanet flybys were not examined, but it is suggested that, at least in the case of a Jupiter-Saturn-and-return flyby, energy requirements might be less than for the Saturn-only case.

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19700028253_1970028253.pdf

There's another study that I think has been posted here that outlines a human deep space mission, complete with a very large landing vehicle. I forget the particulars, but the size of the lander (10 people) seemed kinda crazy. Put that many people down and what would they all do? How would you support them?

blackstar said:
There's another study that I think has been posted here that outlines a human deep space mission, complete with a very large landing vehicle. I forget the particulars, but the size of the lander (10 people) seemed kinda crazy. Put that many people down and what would they all do? How would you support them?

I think I have that one on my hard drive somewhere.

blackstar said:
Put that many people down and what would they all do? How would you support them?

...Well, let's assume that for starters, the Republicrats don't figure out a way to totally repeal Obamacare *and* Social Insecurity.

:p

OM, please no more political comments here

Thanks

pometablava said:
OM, please no more political comments here

Thanks

Humor. I *know* it's a difficult concept across language barriers, but at least give me the benefit of the doubt, eh?

[shakes head in mild confusion]

Humor. I *know* it's a difficult concept across language barriers, but at least give me the benefit of the doubt, eh?

ok

blackstar said:

In 1960s NASA believed, that a manned spacecraft had to be operated 24 on 24 hours.
Means shift work with large crews, see the Space Base proposal with 48 man on board.
Because the computers technology of the 1960s was not ready for that kind operations.

In case of the Jupiter mission, the Lander carry 10 astronaut, 5 for each shift.
with today Computer the crew would reduce to 2 a 4 astronaut for lander.

This would appear to be NASAs response to Kubrick's film. Aside from a study into landers for outer-planet missions this is one of the few 1960s studies that looks at sending men beyond Mars.

An exploratory analysis was performed to determine the feasibility of outer planet, round-trip Mission profiles which might have manned flight applications. Simplifying assumptions used minimized the analytical effort, but the main conclusions are still considered valid. A round-trip flyby of Jupiter of approximately 1000 days duration was found, which appears to be within the capabilities of technology generally assumed for a manned Mars stopover mission. Missions beyond Jupiter were found to be either of very long duration or very demanding in terms of propulsion requirements.

Multiplanet flybys were not examined, but it is suggested that, at least in the case of a Jupiter-Saturn-and-return flyby, energy requirements might be less than for the Saturn-only case.

Any links that work?

Page not found.​

Now, if you splurge on a big Mars ship assembly, it can be reused to go to Jupiter by SuperHeavy putting more fuel in it...biolation used in shifts...

There may be hope for a revival of this idea.
Centauri Dreams has a new article called:
WIND RIDER: A HIGH PERFORMANCE MAGSAIL.