• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

NASA Langley STOL Supercruise Twin-Boom Fighter (TBF-1) (1984)

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Senior Member
Joined
May 26, 2006
Messages
27,092
Reaction score
3,777
Hi,

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19870015532_1987015532.pdf
 

Attachments

  • fighter.JPG
    fighter.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 193

Tophe

ACCESS: Top Secret
Joined
Feb 18, 2006
Messages
1,149
Reaction score
39
Website
cmeunier.chez-alice.fr
Nice, with such a layout tested in 1987, this may have been turned into an industrial project in the 1990s, then a production model in the 2000s. The skies of the World would feature twin-boomers as top-performance aircraft, I would be happy... What-if...
Thanks for this piece of dream, half-serious (in NASA I trust!)... ;)
 

flateric

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Senior Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2006
Messages
9,086
Reaction score
983
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19880016990_1988016990.pdf
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19840014485_1984014485.pdf
 

Attachments

  • TBF-1-0.jpg
    TBF-1-0.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 137
  • TBF-1-0-.jpg
    TBF-1-0-.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 131
  • TBF-1-0--.jpg
    TBF-1-0--.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 125
  • TBF-1-1.jpg
    TBF-1-1.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 140
  • TBF-1-2.jpg
    TBF-1-2.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 76
  • TBF-1-2.jpg
    TBF-1-2.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 69
  • TBF-1-3.jpg
    TBF-1-3.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 66
  • TBF-1-4.jpg
    TBF-1-4.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 72

shedofdread

ACCESS: Secret
Joined
Nov 14, 2009
Messages
462
Reaction score
91
What an interesting read - many thanks. Always thought that the twin - boom layout gave advantages beyond merely short duct lengths and it's so nice when NASA agrees with you!

S
 

Sundog

ACCESS: Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2006
Messages
2,848
Reaction score
292
shedofdread said:
What an interesting read - many thanks. Always thought that the twin - boom layout gave advantages beyond merely short duct lengths and it's so nice when NASA agrees with you!

S

It also gives problems like increased surface area and interference drag.
 

shedofdread

ACCESS: Secret
Joined
Nov 14, 2009
Messages
462
Reaction score
91
Sundog said:
shedofdread said:
What an interesting read - many thanks. Always thought that the twin - boom layout gave advantages beyond merely short duct lengths and it's so nice when NASA agrees with you!

S

It also gives problems like increased surface area and interference drag.

Very true but equally as well as the reasons laid out in the PDFs, you have the potential for increased IR shielding of the exhausts.
On the -ve side, I don't much care for how they have done the tailplane.
S

Ps still prefer the P1216 though!
 

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Senior Member
Joined
May 26, 2006
Messages
27,092
Reaction score
3,777
My dear Flateric,

may be we must to merge those topics;

[who can identify this twin boom STOL fighter ?.
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19880016990_1988016990.pdf];

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,5268.0/highlight,1988016990.html
 

Sundog

ACCESS: Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2006
Messages
2,848
Reaction score
292
shedofdread said:
Sundog said:
shedofdread said:
What an interesting read - many thanks. Always thought that the twin - boom layout gave advantages beyond merely short duct lengths and it's so nice when NASA agrees with you!

S

It also gives problems like increased surface area and interference drag.

Very true but equally as well as the reasons laid out in the PDFs, you have the potential for increased IR shielding of the exhausts.
On the -ve side, I don't much care for how they have done the tailplane.
S

Ps still prefer the P1216 though!

Yeah, the P1216 is ht best twin boomer I've seen yet.

Although, I need to thank Flateric for posting these, as I do like the design, but I hadn't seen it since college.
 
Top