• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Napier Agricopter / Napier-Pan Britannica Agricultural Gyroplane

boxkite

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
For the friends of small helicopters - the Napier "Agrocopter" (from "aero" magazine 10/1961). Never heard of a helicopter company with this name - any connection/relation to the Napier engine manufacturer? I don't believe.

Attachments

• 220.JPG
    220.JPG
    280.5 KB · Views: 262

steelpillow

So many projects, so little time...
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Website
www.steelpillow.com
Napier the engine company did produce aircraft designs from time to time. In 1959 they tendered the "Seahorse" anti-submarine missile, see https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,25507.msg259183.html#msg259183

The Agrocopter looks like an autogyro to me, after the classic Bensen/Wallis pattern. It could well have been by the usual Napier engine Co. but I can find no other reference to prove it either way.

Apophenia

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
They got the name slightly wrong ... G-21-3 was a prototype Napier Agricopter, derived from the Bensen B.SM (B.SMEJ) Gyrocopter. Also known as the Napier-Pan Britannica Agricultural Gyroplane and the Napier-Benson Gyrocopter.

Three Agricopters were built in 1961 (likely all at Luton): G-29-2, G-29-3, and G-29-4.

http://www.nwamuseum.co.uk/AIRCRAFT%20MANUFACTURE-1.pdf
Aircraft Manufacture in West Essex, North Weald Airfield Museum , 2010, pp.11-12

steelpillow

So many projects, so little time...
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Website
www.steelpillow.com
Nice find, thanks.
Should this topic perhaps be renamed "Napier Agricopter", "Napier-Pan Britannica Agricultural Gyroplane", or "Napier-Bensen B8" (after the registration details of G-ATWT), or what?

title changed