Nakajima Ki-62 (competitor to the Kawasaki Ki-61 « Hien »)

T-50

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Hello people I'm searching for info about the Nakajima Ki-62 I believe it was the competitor to the Kawasaki Ki-61 Hien.
Is there any info about this project or artist impressions?
regards T-50

AFAIK, Ki-62 was a light fighter (and Ki-63 was a heavy fighter, a successor to Ki-44 Shoki, or an improved Ki-44 with a different engine). It was to be a successor to Ki-43 Hayabusa, or planned to be an improved Ki-43.

Regards.
Ryusuke

There is a profile of the Ki-62 in the Docavia #7 "Les Chasseurs Japonais" (Japanese Fighters) page 200.
In line single engine, total vision canopy.
I could scan and present it if a Webmaster confirms there is no Copyright issue doing that, as this book is still sold I think.

I have not seen the drawing of Ki-62 in Docavia, but I think it is from the same source. The first published drawing of Ki-62 was on the book "世界航空機三面図集 第3集" (World aircraft scale plans set, vol.3) (published in 1955, Hobun shorin), at page 119. I don't know the original source of this drawing, but I think this is the only drawing of Ki-62 known till today. It is written as ".. a heavy fighter equipped with Ha-140 engine. No information left and the details are unknown. This drawing is said to be the sketch of Ki-62 (imaginary picture of completed one)."

Regards,
Ryusuke

images of Ki-62 just found making a search for images on google ! ::)
Other image you can find on old book of Putnam !

Attachments

• Ki-62.jpg
    Ki-62.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 598
  • Ki-62a.jpg
    Ki-62a.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 581
ryusuke said:
I have not seen the drawing of Ki-62 in Docavia, but I think it is from the same source. The first published drawing of Ki-62 was on the book "世界航空機三面図集 第3集" (World aircraft scale plans set, vol.3) (published in 1955, Hobun shorin), at page 119. I don't know the original source of this drawing, but I think this is the only drawing of Ki-62 known till today. It is written as ".. a heavy fighter equipped with Ha-140 engine. No information left and the details are unknown. This drawing is said to be the sketch of Ki-62 (imaginary picture of completed one)."

Regards,
Ryusuke

I don't suppose there's any chance of showing us ;D ;D ;D or is that book still readily available?

Hi Nick,

I think it is very much difficult to get the book now. There may be a chance to get it by the Internet auction or secondhand bookshop (if you are lucky, but you have to pay much money). The vol.3 deals with IJA aircraft and vol.4 deals with IJN aircraft. The information seems to be rather old, but they include some eye-openers.

I compared the drawings in vol.3 and Putnam by Francillon. They seem to be almost the same.

Regards,
Ryusuke

Nice pics Airman! they are very similar to the pic in Rene J Francillons book about WW2 Japanese
Aircraft
cheers T-50

T-50 said:
Hello people I'm searching for info about the Nakajima Ki-62 I believe it was the competitor to the Kawasaki Ki-61 Hien.
Is there any info about this project or artist impressions?
regards T-50

Sorry to have taken so long T-50
I had to find it!
I do not have much -but here goes -

I believe that the Kawasaki Ki-61 design, which the Nakajima Ki-62 competed against, one the competition because it (Kawasaki) was license building the German DB-601 in-line engine which was specified to power both designs.
From what I can make out no prototype of the Ki-62 was ever built.

Going by the 3-view drawing - it appears to have a longer wing span than the Ki-61!

I hope that helps some (and I hope my info is correct - as I got it from an old photo copy from an unknown book decades ago)

I will see what else I can dig up!

Regards
Pioneer

Hi pioneer better late than never we say in Holland,thanks for the beautiful drawing!Sad that the Nakajima design team never had the opportunity to build a real prototype!
cheers T-50

Hey no problem T-50!

I think there is nothing better to waking up to a long lost aircraft design you have been in search of for years!

I found a couple more on the web

The plain side-view drawing is from - 'Japanese Aircraft of the Pacific War', by Rene J Francillon
and the model box cover is self explanatory

Regards
Pioneer

Attachments

• Nakajima Ki-62 fighter model.JPG
    Nakajima Ki-62 fighter model.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 512
T-50 - I just found this snippet of info - you probably already have it!!

Ki-62
One 1,175 hp Kawasaki Ha-40 liquid-cooled engine. Span 12 m (39 ft 4 7/16 in); length 8.75 m (28 ft 8 1/2 in).

Regards
Pioneer

Hi Pioneer thanks for your searching work! nice pics I must say
cheers T-50

My pleasure T-50!
The search will continue!!!

Thanks for the link Tophe!
I had the picture of the model box Ki-62 sent to me by a mate when I put out the word!
It does look an interesting model though + the coloured profile drawing that looks like it comes with!
Thanks
Its a pity I am such a bad model maker - so as to do it justice!!!!

Regards
Pioneer