Nakajima B-107 Bomber

Pelzig

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
In the July 1981 issue of Airpower, Robert Mikesh continued with his two-part series on Japanese 4- and 6-engine bombers. One of the profiles (attached here) pro-ports to show a wind tunnel model of the Nakajima B-107. According to Mikesh, the wind tunnel test of this bomber commenced May-June 1945. He goes on to say that while Nakajima's name was on it, the model was not a Nakajima design according to March-April 1945 dated documents. Mikesh feels it was a Rikugun design (and thus an IJA project) and that he had no idea what the B-107 stood for.

So, we have to assume from this that the concept was fleshed out early in 1945 and was only wind tunnel tested late in the war. My thoughts, just off the top of my head, is the B-107 was the identifier for the wooden model, assuming that with few wind tunnels, there had to be some sort of numbering system to keep the various test models from getting all confused as to whose project it belonged to. As for the design itself, perhaps it was a follow-on or proposed improvement of the G8N?

Attachments

• Nakajima B-107.jpg
    Nakajima B-107.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 436
It's the first time me too see such a aircraft and such a name for me.
Is it a Bomber? No armaments.
Very old fashoned shape in1945. Rectangular window means non pressurized cabin. Engine size is very small and diffficult to identify emgine type.(air cooling, liquid coolig or gas turbine?) I can't imagine her mission. Also bomb bay center position is little strange.
I feel it's a motor glider. ;D

It may not be a bomber at all, just that the artist who made the sketch perhaps took some liberties. Many of the wind tunnel models I've seen of Japanese aircraft are smooth and relatively featureless. I have a theory and that is the B-107 may, in fact, have been a transport. If we take the dates at face value, the idea of a 4-engine bomber at such a late stage in the war when all other 4-engine and 6-engine bombers were shelved is kind of crazy. But what was still very much being considered were transports. If we assume that this B-107 was, in fact, a Rikagun design, the IJA had numerous late war transport projects such as the Ki-105, Ki-110, Ki-111, Ki-114, and Ki-120. Of these, only the Ki-120 is the most enigmatic with nothing being known of its design or even who was put in charge of it. All of the other late war transports were 2-engine. Could this be the Ki-120? Maybe it is or maybe it isn't.

blackkite said:
It's the first time me too see such a aircraft and such a name for me.
Is it a Bomber? No armaments.
Very old fashoned shape in1945. Rectangular window means non pressurized cabin. Engine size is very small and diffficult to identify emgine type.(air cooling, liquid coolig or gas turbine?) I can't imagine her mission. Also bomb bay center position is little strange.
I feel it's a motor glider. ;D