Mystery missile (RAM Block 2 flight test vehicle?)

sferrin

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
It's definitely not your typical RAM Block 2.

At a guess, an early test of the Block 2 motor. It's missing the forward fins and interferometer antennas, so its obviously not a guided flight, but if they were just testing the new motor and ejection from the launch tube, leaving out the full front end might be more economical.

Makes sense. I just didn't realize there was that much difference in diameter between the forward end and the new motor.

The front end is 5 inches, the Block 2 motor is 6.3 inches, so it's about a 25% difference.

Visually, I think the fin and antennas on the front end make it look a lot wider when they are present.

Could this also be the rocket motor to be used on future aim9x block 3?

Block 3 was cancelled sometime ago, though it would not surprise me if they'd intended to use a common motor.

Block 3 was cancelled sometime ago, though it would not surprise me if they'd intended to use a common motor.

God I hate Reddit. I came across something that looked very like a DoD acquisition memo dated October 2018 announcing an FY19 IOC for Block III. Turns out it's one of those Nation States-type fantasy boards, with narry a hint that it's fictional.