Mystery Frigate drawing on Converteam Webpage

TinWing

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Bandeau_Marine_navy.jpg

I corrected the aspect ratio and increased the size, and it appears that this drawing does not represent any know frigate proposal.

Any clue what it represents?

Attachments

• Bandeau_Marine_navy.jpg
    Bandeau_Marine_navy.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 163
  • Converteam.jpg
    Converteam.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 222
This design closely resembles one of the older designs for FSC produced somewhere between 1999-2001, around the "Baseline 5" Iteration.

RP1

RP1 said:
This design closely resembles one of the older designs for FSC produced somewhere between 1999-2001, around the "Baseline 5" Iteration.

RP1

I don't know if got the aspect ratio exactly right, but when I try to put this thing into scale using the rotor diameter of the EH 101 on the flight deck as a guide, I get a length for the mystery ship in the neighborhood of 167 to 172 meters?

Am I right in assuming that "Baseline 5" was the 9,500 ton stretched derivative of the Type 45?

Of course, the scale of the forward gun really bothers me. The gun housing looks superficially similar to the current low visibility Oto Melara 76mm, but the scale of the ship indicates something altogether larger?

The stretched Type 45 was a BAE proposal for FSC. The "Baseline ..." designs are MoD in-house configurations used to allow exploration of options and to evaluate the impacts of capabilities, without being locked into a specific design. They sometimes appear in publications - the last was Baseline 7, in trimaran and monohull form, as a comparison of the advantages and disadvantages - Richard Beedalls' Navy Matters site has some images:

http://navy-matters.beedall.com/fsc-pre2005.htm

But, as I said, the designs have appeared in other publications, with various detail changes - this most closely resembles them in appearance - certainly it's closer to that than a Type 45, although it could be variant of the latter, or maybe neither!

I couldn't comment on the weapons outfit, but the illustrations have generally shown 114mm Mk8, some kind of 155mm-a-like, and more recently US 127mm weapons.

RP1