Mystery Aircraft from Area 51? - from Ares Defense Technology Blog

bobbymike

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs/defense/index.jsp?plckController=Blog&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&newspaperUserId=27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7&plckPostId=Blog%3a27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7Post%3a9bdb15ba-0343-4449-830b-6cca1534d3ff&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest

The flight profile reminds me of THAAD test firings. THAAD was fired, and then it basically nosed over into a loop. This burned off excess kinetic energy so that if something went foul, the missile didn't go zooming off into a populated area, but would rather stay within the boundaries of WSMR.

I thought THAAD tests were all "announced" anyone here at SP hear of a THAAD test?

Anything is possible, it IS Thursday at DET 3.

SOC said:
The flight profile reminds me of THAAD test firings. THAAD was fired, and then it basically nosed over into a loop. This burned off excess kinetic energy so that if something went foul, the missile didn't go zooming off into a populated area, but would rather stay within the boundaries of WSMR.

The corkscrew after launch effect is called the "Energy Management System" and in the case of THAAD is not just a keep within the missile range boundary measure but also a means to align the motor with the expected altitude of intercept. Not a unique capability to THAAD...

Attachments

• 060712-D-0000X-001.jpg
    060712-D-0000X-001.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 58
Abraham Gubler said:
SOC said:

The corkscrew after launch effect is called the "Energy Management System" and in the case of THAAD is not just a keep within the missile range boundary measure but also a means to align the motor with the expected altitude of intercept. Not a unique capability to THAAD...

Which other system uses that? ("Corkscrew" manuever right off the pad.) Also, I think it's interesting that they needed to do that with THAAD but that they weren't worried about Nike Zeus exiting the range back in the day. Has WSMR shrunk, was Zeus's profile more up than out, or does THAAD have more range than generally given? ???

There was a Patriot missile test against a Hera target on that date and it all launched around half six in the morning. Patriots I believe where launched from White Sands area... could of been this they saw maybe?

As far as THAAD launches, I have to concur. I live close enough to White Sands so when a THAAD is test-launched it makes the local news at 6. I have to admit that this fits in nicely with the THAAD shots I've seen on TV previously.

I'll have to ask my godmother about this since she works in WSMR Admin. She may have heard something. Then again she might not be able to tell me. Not the first time I've gotten just a mere smile as a response to some of my questions.

Speaking of THAAD , did the US gave this system a service designation yet ? ( as in MIM-something...)

Thanks.