Airborne Laser airborne no more

Triton

Donald McKelvy
Reaction score
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com
http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs/defense/index.jsp?plckController=Blog&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&newspaperUserId=27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7&plckPostId=Blog%3a27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7Post%3a2cce307f-7e3e-4d24-978c-f7d2adc09212&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest

ikke666 said:
Does it mean the project is completely closed or is it postponed? ::)

The Airborne Laser project based on the Boeing-led 747-400F is DEATH
After USAF, the program changes to more compact Laser system build into unmanned Aircraft
The question is how big gonna be this unmanned Aircraft...

Last I heard info related to this was for the Electric Laser on Large Aircraft (ELLA) program,
which is an effort to fit DARPA's Hellads high-power electric laser into the B-1B weapons
bay and cover it with a new conformal cover. Using the B-1B sniper pod for targetting.
The Chief Scientist of USAF even test rode a B-1 to get a personal impression of an airman
handling the job of targetting the laser. General Atomics and Textron were to develop rival
150KW lasers under Hellads, that weigh less than 5kg/kw, much smaller than previous airbrorne
lasers. Lockheed/Martin is developing the Laser Weapon System Module (LWSM), including
power, cooling and beam director. Full power testing to be completed by FY2012, but program
timeline was accelerating back in 2010.

So I guess it's time to retire the Airborne Laser if you have something smaller and better.

Jam tomorrow!

A prediction, if ELLA fails the next "emperors new LASER" will be mounted in a modified F35B replacing the lift fan. Funny how in hind-sight a massive chemical laser was logistically unfeasible. Could we apply foresight to the power requirements of solid sate LASERS?

Power will always be commensurate to size. I don't think anyone expects a MW scale laser on an F-35B, considering the available shaft horsepower. The B-1 work might also be construed as a backdoor way to keep B-1R work moving forward.

That said, I wouldn't necessarily say ABL is flat out dead yet. While it is true that many components are specific to a COIL type laser, it doesn't necessarily preclude using it as an airborne testbed for other technologies. Solid state systems are being designed as linearly scalable module sets, so putting many of the same type onboard is doable. But a laser that actually needs the size of a 747 would be a free electron type laser, which if I remember correctly, ONRL is involved with.

Additional power for such systems can be achieved through additional APU arrangements. Boeing has done early work several times on jet engine based APU designs that are podded for command and EWACS aircraft, and can mount on existing engine ferry pylon positions.

Cooling is probably the harder problem. ABL basically dumped laser gases overboard, carrying away heat with it. Anything else needs a substantial cooling arrangement.