art by Jared A. Zichek

Attachments

• Escanear0001.jpg
    Escanear0001.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 382
  • Escanear0002.jpg
    Escanear0002.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 364
Very interesting project. What country? Britain? The US?

Hi,

in the Airpower 3/2004,my dear Jared Zichek spoke about Mr. Cross flying wing aircraft,
and in the article about three design projects.

Attachments

• Kemmer-6.JPG
    Kemmer-6.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 263
  • Kemmer-5.JPG
    Kemmer-5.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 214
  • Kemmer-4.JPG
    Kemmer-4.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 474
  • Kemmer-3.JPG
    Kemmer-3.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 478
  • Kemmer-2.JPG
    Kemmer-2.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 473
  • Kemmer-1.JPG
    Kemmer-1.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 485
  • Kemmer-0.JPG
    Kemmer-0.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 503
Stargazer said:
Completely new to me, thanks.

Thank you my dear Stargazer,

and can you imagine with me the configuration of design No.1,it was a pursuit
fighter aircraft and design No.2 was a large scaled-up from it.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 185
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 194
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 188
Vaguely reminds me of Hydra's flying wing from CAPTAIN AMERICA.

Attachments

• HydraFlyingWing-Front.jpg
    HydraFlyingWing-Front.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 178
My dear XP67_Moonbat,

was it a real design ?.

For the Mr. Cross No.3 aircraft,it was a three jet bomber developed from No.1.

Attachments

• No.3.JPG
    No.3.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 187
I couldn't help but notice the small view in the corner of the jet powered variant of the supposed number 4 design so I modified the the No 2 design into this as a possible look. I canted the exhaust of the outer engines, as per the Vulcan, which also gave me a look for the intakes, which I think I may have done too small. Anyway a possible flavour of the larger jet design from Mr Cross.

Attachments

• Cross Design No 4 GA.jpg
    Cross Design No 4 GA.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 186
Hello. I happened to come across this thread in a search for Norman Cross. I have a little personal story to share about him and the balsa Model version above.

In 1970, My father, a Industrial and Mechanical engineer, was working as a consulting engineer for Rohr Aircraft company in San Diego, California. At the time, my mother and father started to investigate the idea of building a sailboat. In their search, they found a series of Trimaran plans from Norman Cross and found that he lived not too far away. After contacting Mr. Cross for More information, The two engineers found that they had a lot in common, and Mr Cross invited us to his house for a meet and greet over dinner.

I was 12 years old, and had a strong love of flying. My parents had a small plane, and I was enamored with making model planes. By and by this fact came up and Mr. Cross seemed pleasantly surprised and said that he had built model planes, and that he even had 16mm home movies of it He then insisted that he show them, and proceeded to set up the machine and screen in his living room. I still remember much of the film, showing that very model in the above pictures in various stages of building and then several minutes of it flying. Rubber band powered of course. He distinctly said it was made to test the concept of a full size airliner and that someday it may very well be made. Of course, that peaked my interest even more.

I must have been obviously excited about the model so much that as we were leaving, Mr. Cross handed me a copy of the plans for the model.

Several years later, I finally built the model and flew it several times until it crashed one too many times and was destroyed. Alas, the plans he gave me and that I took extreme care of were destroyed in a fire nearly 20 years ago and I have been looking for a copy ever since, even to the point of contacting his son to see if any had survived his estate, but to no avail.

Last December, the ongoing searches came to fruition. Suddenly, in the Plans section of The Academy of Model Aeronautics, Was a copy of the original plans. I ordered them and the copy was not the best, so I have been working to restore them digitally and will give the restored version back to the AMA.

The plans link is here; https://plans.modelaircraft.org/product/cross-flying-wing/

Sometimes perseverance pays off.

I am so happy for you. With me it's water damage that is my bane. A book on space my father bought me I propped up by the bed. Come morning it was soaked for a rivulet of rainwater had snaked past the window unit AC seal and made a beeline right for it. Water seems drawn to my book collection-flood damage-you name it.

My dear XP67_Moonbat,

was it a real design ?.

For the Mr. Cross No.3 aircraft,it was a three jet bomber developed from No.1.

I hope if someone can make a 3-view to this concept ?.

Back
Top Bottom