Mosquito Highball and other experimental versions

Is it known which variant of the Mossie was used to test the Turbinlite system?
Serial:​
W4087
Build Type:​
F.II, Merlin 21 engines
Build Location:​
Hatfield
Contract Number:​
B.1355522
Contract Date:​
16-11-1940
Contract Notes:​
Originally ordered under B.69990/40 which was amended to 21 aircraft in 6-1941

British Secret Projects 1935-50, Tony Buttler : A conversion for the Mosquito to take the AT. 6 pounder cannon was proposed by 1943. (p. 72-73)

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1631348729465.jpg
    FB_IMG_1631348729465.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
British Secret Projects 1935-50, Tony Buttler : A conversion for the Mosquito to take the AT 6 pounder cannon was proposed by 1943. (p. 72-73)
The one pictured is actually an experimental variant that had a 32-pounder AT gun. The 6-pounder (really, a 6-pounder equivalent), was used in service on the Mosquito FB.XVIII.

Was the 'Turret Mossie' intended for anti-bomber work, such as night-fighter ??
Strafing dive with nose-guns, duck under and rake wings / belly...

( Bit like our Tabby's tactics: 'Ms. Robbie the Ratter' earned her out-door tag of '005½' due one fortnight's remarkable tally... )

I'd hope 'Turret Mossie' was not another take on 'turret fighter' concept, with only radar in nose. At least a Mossie was quick enough to get clear of most trouble...

Was the 'Turret Mossie' intended for anti-bomber work, such as night-fighter ??
Strafing dive with nose-guns, duck under and rake wings / belly...

( Bit like our Tabby's tactics: 'Ms. Robbie the Ratter' earned her out-door tag of '005½' due one fortnight's remarkable tally... )

I'd hope 'Turret Mossie' was not another take on 'turret fighter' concept, with only radar in nose. At least a Mossie was quick enough to get clear of most trouble...

Old text books refer to the Turret-Mossie as self-defending. Minus the turret, Mossies could use their run-foo to escape from most other airplanes.
The turret slowed Mossie to speeds where it needed a defensive turret. Thankfully the turret was dropped soon after they flew a mere mock-up.

Turret Beaufighter, intended for anti-bomber work, such a night-fighter
Beaufighter was already considerably slower than Mosquito. We wonder if the the four-gun turret was intended to be fired upwards more like the German Schage Musik??????
That turret looks like it could be locked in the forward position and aimed by the pilot during conventional attacks.

Beaufighter was already considerably slower than Mosquito. We wonder if the the four-gun turret was intended to be fired upwards more like the German Schage Musik??????
That turret looks like it could be locked in the forward position and aimed by the pilot during conventional attacks.
In my opinion it was designed as a successor to the Defiant, with better radar, but the engines chosen lacked enough power to overcome the drag turret.

In my opinion it was designed as a successor to the Defiant, with better radar, but the engines chosen lacked enough power to overcome the drag turret.
Yes, that is exactly what it was.

Slightly off topic, I have a note of Highball being proposed for DH. Hornet, PX219, not one iv seen a photograph of tho

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1692776931215.jpg
    FB_IMG_1692776931215.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 3
  • FB_IMG_1692776923225.jpg
    FB_IMG_1692776923225.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited: