Momentum bomb

Tim52413

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
I didn't find anything about Momentum bomb project in the forum.
In Chris Gibson & Tony Buttler's book "British secret projects: Hypersonics, Ramjets & missles" this project names "RAE Momentum bomb":
9Hov0bvTYaM.jpg
and "Vickers Momentum bomb":
iewTM1LlGHE.jpg
What does it mean? And I have another question. Do you have any information or blueprints of Momentum bomb project?

What does it mean?

Update: found more data.

Momentum Bombing

By the mid-1950s, air-dropped nuclear weapons were the deterrent weapon of choice for the superpowers, but developments in surface-to-air missiles were making high-flying bombers vulnerable. Low-level attacks became favoured, but this left the problem of releasing a nuclear bomb from low level while allowing the dropping aircraft to escape. As an alternative to the “toss bombing” technique which was developed (and which still opened up the bomber to the target defences in the last stage of the attack), Wallis proposed a “momentum bomb”. The small, unpowered, winged bomb would be mounted “piggy back” on the bomber, which would fly past its target at supersonic speed. The bomb would then be released, whereupon it would fly a backwards half-loop arriving over the target, while the bomber continued safely away from the target at high speed. Although the concept was considered feasible by the RAE, it was never put into practice.

I.e. the idea was, that the bomb would use the momentum from plane moving on supersonic speed to gain altitude without the need to be tossed.

There were at least two proposals for a 'momentum bomb'. One came from Wallis; the other from the RAE.

I cover them both in my book on Skybolt.

What does it mean?

Update: found more data.

Momentum Bombing

By the mid-1950s, air-dropped nuclear weapons were the deterrent weapon of choice for the superpowers, but developments in surface-to-air missiles were making high-flying bombers vulnerable. Low-level attacks became favoured, but this left the problem of releasing a nuclear bomb from low level while allowing the dropping aircraft to escape. As an alternative to the “toss bombing” technique which was developed (and which still opened up the bomber to the target defences in the last stage of the attack), Wallis proposed a “momentum bomb”. The small, unpowered, winged bomb would be mounted “piggy back” on the bomber, which would fly past its target at supersonic speed. The bomb would then be released, whereupon it would fly a backwards half-loop arriving over the target, while the bomber continued safely away from the target at high speed. Although the concept was considered feasible by the RAE, it was never put into practice.

I.e. the idea was, that the bomb would use the momentum from plane moving on supersonic speed to gain altitude without the need to be tossed.
Thank you for your information. But I know about it. I interested in blueprints If there are any.

There were at least two proposals for a 'momentum bomb'. One came from Wallis; the other from the RAE.

I cover them both in my book on Skybolt.
Thank you for your information.