• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

MK 71 Lightweight 8" gun.

cjwilks

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
The attachments are awaiting approval.

TomS

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Oh, that's nice. Thank you for digging it up.

cjwilks

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
How long does it take for attachments to be approved? I put some on 5 days ago, and they still show waiting approval!

sferrin

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
From NAVWEAPS:

"The gun barrel for the Mark 71 was the Mark 28 Mod 1, a 55 caliber two-piece loose liner barrel. The production gun mount was to have used a one piece monobloc barrel designated as the Mark32. "

SpudmanWP

Reaction score
I don't understand why I have never seen a naval gun with a muzzle break. This should help reduce stress & recoil through the ship.

TomS

Reaction score
SpudmanWP said:
I don't understand why I have never seen a naval gun with a muzzle break. This should help reduce stress & recoil through the ship.
There are some -- the OTO Melara 76mm has one, as do some guns in the OTO 127mm family, for example.

RLBH

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
SpudmanWP said:
A muzzle brake also significantly increases blast overpressure in the surrounding area. On ground vehicles this isn't such an issue, provided that the surrounding area doesn't have too many people around, because dirt is pretty hard to break and nobody really cares if you do break it. On ships, you have to provide additional structure to deal with the overpressure. In general, it's preferable to make the gun mount strong enough to handle the full recoil of the weapon, rather than have to beef up quite a bit of the upper decks and superstructure. Though there are always exceptions to any rule of thumb.