Missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zeppelin said:
Yes, until the plane is located - there will be endless speculation.

Don't kid yourself. If the plane is located tomorrow at the bottom of the sea, and is successfully recovered and found to have gone off course & crashed through entirely dull reasons (accidents & malfunctions), the speculation will continue. No matter how well documented an event is, there'll be whackadoodle conspiracy theories. And the longer the mystery lasts, the less likely that the nuts will shut up.

Hell, at this point I'm pretty sure that if the plane and bodies are recovered tomorrow, someone will claim that the plane is a replica and the bodies are clones, with the originals all spirited off by aliens/time traveling models/superNazis/CIA/ChiComs/Bilderbergers/Templars...

0AAsianAir_zps77a2b8c4.jpg

It's a good thing it didn't disappear while flying over the Bermuda Triangle. It would be on TV 24/7! -SP

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 172
Noooo... surely its.. too soon.. for (Gobi) desert island discs?

Actually, this seems oddly apropos.. ..Stand by.. for Action!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iO7_C4xWzA

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/malaysia/10704769/Malaysian-Airlines-MH370-live.html

The Malaysian authorities are now ducking questions about the multiple waypoint turns reported esrlier -- they won't confirm that the plane actually flew through VAMPI, GIVAL, and IGREX.

http://www.malaysiakini.com/news/257600

That muddies the waters considerably on what happened after loss of communications.

They also aren't explaining how they "know' that a new waypoint or course was programmed into the FMS before loss of communications. We assume it's an ADS-C message sent via ACARS, but if so, why the heck would it take more than a week to notice it?

the Australians have found two object's 1500 mile's wsw of Perth they shouled know for sure by Thursday afternoon
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/20/mh370-two-objects-spotted-in-southern-indian-ocean-australia-says

shaba said:
the Australians have found two object's 1500 mile's wsw of Perth they shouled know for sure by Thursday afternoon
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/20/mh370-two-objects-spotted-in-southern-indian-ocean-australia-says

News reports indicate that the debris is "very credible" in relation to MH 370. So this would indicate something looking like an aircraft part was seen floating on the surface. Its location would very much support the hypothesis that the crew and passengers were incapacitated in some disaster and the aircraft flew on at its last heading until running out of fuel.

Sadly, credulity is more likely an accurate term than credibility - when it comes to Tony Abbot-speak..

He would not hesitate to use a speculative/spurious announcement in Parliament for a political distraction.
This being contemporaneous with a ministerial resignation - in the face of corruption allegations.

& what chance of corroborative USN Diego Garcia radar plots then - in this instance?

J.A.W. said:
Sadly, credulity is more likely an accurate term than credibility when it comes to Tony Abbot-speak..

What chance of corroborative USN Diego Garcia radar plots then - in this instance?

Diego Garcia is about 4-5,000 km from where the debris has been supposedly found. You should be asking if McDonald & Heard Island radar picked something up, it'd be about as useful.

Well, - if it had flown over Australia - it would have popped up on defence radar there..

Proof of the puddin'.. 1st, please.. ( & given nearly a fortnight's oceanic drift)..

Perhaps we should be asking what JORN saw? From the multiple maps having been published, it flew through JORN's search area.

JORS.svg

If.. 370 flew through those zones,
.. then indeed, where are the radar plots?

Or did 370 fly N-W, over the Andaman Is/ Bay of Bengal where the Indian defence radar was 'off-line'?

JORN isn't always on and without any military exercises or illegal immigrant events is almost certainly not on and if it had tracked a plane flying out in the middle of nowhere something would have been done about it when it happened. The head of AMSA's press conference this afternoon indicated the objects of interest were large and awash. Further sat imaging and the MPAs are going to try and relocate the objects. Weather is good in the area but visibility is very low and its also going to be nightime there soon.

So, our national early warning radar system is not turned on all the time? That explains a lot. I suppose it's a cost cutting measure? I wonder if an attacker has to phone ahead to ask them to turn it on?

J.A.W. said:
If.. 370 flew through those zones,
.. then indeed, where are the radar plots?

Or did 370 fly N-W, over the Andaman Is/ Bay of Bengal where the Indian defence radar was 'off-line'?

The outermost blue zone was traversed it seems, if it flew in a SW direction, which appear to have been increasingly likely. If, however, it was turned off to save costs, then it's all moot.

Shades of Hawaii, Dec 7 `41.. Radar there.. but switched off/misinterpreted/disregarded..

Sea wreckage now reported to be 25m 'Boeing wing sized' artefact..

We'll see..

& of course no one would ever hoax a bogus flotsam/jetsam dump as cover-up.. would they?

A drop of some surplus/wrecked wing sections on the sly?

Recovery of verifiable evidence (& oceanic drift data) might lead to another Air France/Airbus-type search..

Hot Breath said:
So, our national early warning radar system is not turned on all the time? That explains a lot. I suppose it's a cost cutting measure? I wonder if an attacker has to phone ahead to ask them to turn it on?

Well since there is no remote war threat to the north of Australia the ADF does not maintain a 24-7 operational posture.

& if there are no remote threats - why aren't they busy tracking all the close threats?

Have they learned nothing since Sept 11, 2001?

50 years ago the SAC was flying nuke bombers/nuke bomber interceptors around the clock..

An ex-pilot 'expert commentator' on the news reckoned the large piece of floating debris could be the tail fin..
..based on the Air France South Atlantic crash..

But AFAIR, the Airbus fin is lightweight composite-plastic & is buoyant, & the 777 fin ain't?

Satellite images of the objects in question.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 77
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 75
Am I the only one that thinks that looks just like solar reflection off an ideal patch of sea?

Today's Daily Telegraph streaming coverage: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/malaysia/10710250/Malaysian-Airlines-MH370-live.html

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26659583

http://news.yahoo.com/australia-checking-2-objects-search-plane-031712226--finance.html

I guess they will have boats there soon. Seems a Norwegian craft is close and China is redirecting an Icebreaker up there. 4 Orions from RAAF and I believe, one from NewZealand and one from the USAF are in the mix searching. still no proof until someone picks up a bit of aircraft flotsam. (I doubt if there found be much from any other aircraft) - but it could still be just any debris.

Am I right that any black box would only record the last 2 hors of conversation?. It would not be any help here, having such a long automated flight.
I bet the Pilot was trying to reset an emergency landing to Langkawi, Malaysia - or maybe just back to KL.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2014/03/18/mh370_disappearance_chris_goodfellow_s_theory_about_a_fire_and_langkawi.html
I don't know how accurate the waypoints indicated were navigated - I'm guessing not - just the instinct to a safe known landing strip. What was the huge altitude gain to 45,000ft? - was that to put out a fire out?, or were the pilot and crew disabled before that huge height gain. Any wreckage would help the forensics - but I'm doubting if this case will ever get solved as far as the cause.
I cannot believe any hijacker would send the craft on such a long distance - low impact terrorist cause. I think it all will roost with maintenance or structural failure here, or a fatal combination of both, as is often the case.
I doubt Malaysian Airlines or Boeing will be wanting that outcome. But, I think Malaysian Airlines and the Malaysian Government have had to handle something totally unexpected. especially how long it has dragged out, has been very damaging for all involved and so incredibly painful for all the relatives who expect some efficient, reliable outcome.
I think all have all been treading water, and god forbid this could have caught out any airline.

I also find it tragically comic that so many military radars seem to be switched off, perhaps they are never switched on, or ever staffed. I once landed at Learmonth airstrip ( Exmouth, WA) on a commercial flight, and was advised as we taxied to the ramp "not to take any photographs out of the window as this is a military RAAF base" Well all I could see were empty hardened concrete bunkers for F111's that were obviously not there, and only one or 2 RAAF trainers. so I guess that was what I was not to photograph.

Regards and thanks to all for the trails here.

I think the report of a climb to 45,000 ft has to be an error -- a loaded 777 will struggle to get much past 40,000, and climbing would certainly not be the instinct of a pilot dealing with a fire.

The waypoint thing is such a mess now. If the plane really did turn right on top of those waypoints, it would indicate a programmed diversion, because no pilot dealing with an emergency would punch in multiple waypoints over the Malacca Strait. But the Malaysian authorities have walked way back from that claim and it looks like the plane might have just flown vaguely near those locations. If that's the case, an emergency and an incapacitated crew looks much more plausible.

Daily Telegraph:
13.26 Concerning the timing of the pictures, they were captured on March 16 but "due to the volume of imagery being searched, and the detailed process of analysis that followed, the information was brought to the attention of the Australian Maritime Safety Authority" this morning.

13.21 The Australian Maritime Safety Authority's statement says that four aircraft today covered an area of 23000 square km. The Höegh St Petersburg is already on the scene with another merchant ship also en route to the area. A total of six merchant ships have assisted in the search since a shipping broadcast was issued on Monday night.

13.15 The BBC reports that Australian Defence Minister David Johnston has been quoted as saying something definite should be known about the possible discovery of debris within "two or three days".

13.04 According to AP, Australian officials have said that the search for possible objects from the missing plane has ended for Thursday.

Yes such a climb would be an odd reaction to to any situation.
the fact that a Pilot would decent to 10,000 ft without reporting back to control would be in line with
the first reaction of a pilot to any decompression - or any undercarriage fire - "media reported" ( I doubt that crew would know exactly where any fire source would be from - they would just act )

I still think this is worth a watch, as it has happened before to commercial flights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c6P42WxyPM&feature=player_embedded

Sorry, Missing reference of Cypriot Helios Airways flight 522, 14 August 2005. [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]There is an Australian Beechcraft 200 King Air flight back in 2000 and [/font]Lear 35 carrying the golfer Payne Stewart back in 1999 all attributed to crashing due to Hypoxia.

If they haven't found the thing by then, I'll be on CNN at 2PM EST on the 22nd.

...aaaaaaand at 5:30 AM on the 21st.

SOC said:
If they haven't found the thing by then, I'll be on CNN at 2PM EST on the 22nd.

Break a leg! ;)

Daily Telegraph:
15.33 The BBC is reporting that British satellite company Inmarsat said there were very strong indications 10 days ago that the plane would be found either in the southern part of the Indian Ocean or in Central Asia, and not in the South China Sea or the Malacca Straits where Malaysian authorities continued to search.

Inmarsat says it learned on 11 March that the plane had continued to fly for seven hours or more but Malaysian authorities continued to search in the South China Sea and Malacca Strait. The company has gone public with the information because of concerns over the way the search operation has been handled.

Dragon029 said:
Am I the only one that thinks that looks just like solar reflection off an ideal patch of sea?

No. It could be something or nothing.

According to the news & search aircrew reports, conditions were 'perfect' today - but nothing sighted..

& Tony Abbot did his routine back-pedal act.. '...It could've been a shipping container..."

Red Chinese navy units are reported to be en-route to the search area..

Today's BBC streaming coverage: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26676749

Daily Telegraph: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/malaysia/10710250/Malaysian-Airlines-MH370-live.html

Status
Not open for further replies.