Missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.
The blame game is already well under way:
In recent days the Malaysian government has been criticized for not sharing information earlier with international investigators.

A senior Western law enforcement official told ABC News today that the Malaysian government repeatedly turned down assistance from Interpol to assist in its investigation. That offer has since been repeated several times and declined each time.

"It's the old pre-9/11 approach: close-hold information, don't share anything," the official said.

A spokeswoman for Interpol declined comment.

Law enforcement officials are now worried that critical investigative time has been lost and leads could well have dried up as sources of information could have dispersed in the last week. The FBI also hasn't been invited by the Malaysian government to help on the ground, sources said.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/malaysia-airlines-jet-made-tactical-aviation-maneuvers-law/story?id=22922961

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/malaysia/10700892/Malaysia-Airlines-MH370-plane-crash-live.html
10.40 Our South Asia Editor Dean Nelson was at the press conference in Kuala Lumpur, and has sent through the following notes:

The pilot of MH370 had either switched off the plane's radar and transponders when he said goodnight to Malaysian air traffic controllers or had done so under duress by hijackers, Malaysia's transport minister said.

The police investigation is focussing on crew, passengers and ground staff. The perpetrator/s had one of four motives/causes: hijacking, sabotage, personal problem or psychological problem.

Passengers from four different countries have been investigated by their own intelligence agencies and cleared of any suspicion.

We will have more on these points shortly.

grab_2853492c.jpg

http://project.wnyc.org/runways/

14.20 As this Reuters article points out, the assumption that China and India are too extensively covered by radar for the plane to have flown through their airspace undetected doesn't quite stack up either.

We have many radar systems operating in this area, but nothing was picked up," Rear Admiral Sudhir Pillai, chief of staff of India's Andamans and Nicobar Command, told Reuters. "It's possible that the military radars were switched off as we operate on an 'as required' basis."

Separately, a defense source said that India did not keep its radar facilities operational at all times because of cost. Asked what the reason was, the source said: "Too expensive."

14.12 Jeff Wise, a pilot and author who writes on aviation, has blogged for Slate on why he thinks it is most likely that the missing airliner is somewhere in Central Asia.

He points out that the sourthern arc, or "corridor", (see 09.22) contains "only two kinds of place" - small islands and ocean:

As for the first, I find it impossible to imagine that MH370 landed on a small island without being noticed.

As for the second, I find it impossible to reconcile with my understanding of human nature that someone would commandeer a plane, maneuver it skillfully and with great imagination through a well-monitored zone of radar coverage, fly for eight hours, and then just go pffft in the middle of an ocean. To believe this scenario, I think you would have to overlook for me what has become a bedrock assumption about this case: that whoever carried it out is extremely intelligent, daring, dedicated, and brave. (Not words you’re supposed to apply to a bad guy, but neither his motives or the nature of his deeds has yet been established, so I’ll let them stand for now.)

Color-MH370-locati_2853522c.jpg

Archibald said:
Can't help thinking about the following (crude) scenario. The terrorists - whoever they are - clean the aircraft and "paint it" like another 777 from another company. (when I say paint, I mean they disguise the aircraft - remember that story about a wolf in lamb clothing ?)

Painting aircraft like this is no small feat

Also, the Mode S transponder has a unique ID number that stays with the aircraft regardless of how it is set to squawk. So this aircraft is going to be immediately recognizable if it ever shows up again pretending to be someone else.

Wherever it is, I'm convinced it's in pieces, either underwater or on land.

this map could be a clue
Color-MH370-locati_2853522c.jpg

The upper red line past over Chinese Xinjiang province
were the uyghur people life and the seperatist movement fights for.

So in this case we got Uyghur Terrorist attack or aircraft kidnapping
and Chinese Government keep quiet as usual in such internal affair...

Please note that these red lines are not possible flight paths. They are possible locations for the last SATCOM keep-live signal. The lines are based strictly on the signal's elevation to the satellite and signal lag time; the actual location can be narrowed down by looking at possible airspeed, etc.

TomS said:
Also, the Mode S transponder has a unique ID number that stays with the aircraft regardless of how it is set to squawk. So this aircraft is going to be immediately recognizable if it ever shows up again pretending to be someone else.

That's reassuring. I had some doubts you couldn't really disguise that aircraft as another 777. There are not that many 777s flying, btw. It's not like a Renault Clio among millions of other Clios... ;D

Archibald said:
Can't help thinking about the following (crude) scenario. The terrorists - whoever they are - clean the aircraft and "paint it" like another 777 from another company. (when I say paint, I mean they disguise the aircraft - remember that story about a wolf in lamb clothing ?)

If you want to steal an aircraft for whatever purpose probably the worst way to do it is to try and take one in the middle of a regular commercial airline flight. Its like trying to steal a car from the middle of a motorcade rather than just going to some quiet carpark somewhere.

Well, since it has been a wee while since flight 370 went west,
-so it seems the (unauthorised) flight plan is working according to plan, so far..

Have the Chinese state authorities ever publically acknowledged 'responsibility' for 'terrorist acts'
being 'claimed' by its Islamist separatist factions?

Are the Malaysian authorities being open regarding the aircraft skipper's dealings?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/malaysia/10702190/Missing-Malaysia-plane-flew-at-5000ft-and-used-terrain-masking-to-avoid-radar-detection.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/malaysia/10700892/Malaysian-Airlines-MH370-live.html

10.46 The Reuters news agency have produced this timeline of what we know so far.

- 0041: Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 departs from Kuala Lumpur International Airport and is due to land in Beijing at 0630 the same day. On board the Boeing 777-200ER are 227 passengers and 12 crew.

- 0107: After take-off and ascent, the plane sends its last ACARS transmission, which gives engine maintenance data to the ground. The system is later deactivated.

- 0119: Someone in the cockpit says "All right, good night" to Malaysian air traffic control. They were the last words heard from Flight MH370.

- 0121: The plane drops off air traffic control screens as its transponder - which responds to civilian radar - is switched off. The Civil Aviation Authority of Vietnam says the plane failed to check in as scheduled at 0121 with air traffic control in Ho Chi Minh City. Malaysian authorities believe that someone on board shut off the plane's communications systems and turned it sharply to the west.

- 0215: Malaysian military radar plots Flight MH370 at a point south of Phuket island in the Strait of Malacca, hundreds of miles west of its last known location.

- 0811: The last signal received from the plane, according to satellite tracking data. The final communication placed the plane somewhere in one of two corridors: a northern arc stretching from northern Thailand to Kazakhstan, or a southern one stretching from Indonesia to the vast southern Indian Ocean.

11.31 AFP news agency have added more detail to this morning's new development - that the co pilot spoke the final known words from the cockpit.

KUALA LUMPUR, March 17, 2014 (AFP) - The last words spoken from the cockpit of the Malaysian passenger jet that went missing 10 days ago were believed to have been spoken by the co-pilot, the airline's top executive said Monday.

"Initial investigations indicate it was the co-pilot who basically spoke," Malaysia Airlines CEO Ahmad Jauhari Yahya told a news briefing.

The last message from the cockpit - "All right, good night" - came around the time that two of the missing plane's crucial signalling systems were switched off.

Captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah and his first officer Fariq Abdul Hamid have become a primary focus of the investigation into the fate of Flight 370, with one of the key questions being who was controlling the aircraft when the communications systems were disabled.

The last signal from the Aircraft Communications Addressing and Reporting System (ACARS) was received 12 minutes before the co-pilot's seemingly nonchalant final words.

ACARS transmits key information on a plane's condition to the ground.

The plane's transponder - which relays radar information on the plane's location - was switched off just two minutes after the voice message.

Quote of the day

Boris Johnson in The Telegraph writes the baffling story of a vanished airliner has focused the world’s attention like no other: ... It is not just the biggest whodunnit we have ever seen. It is a whydunnit and indeed a whodunwhat. This is a world in which we thought that they could see everything: whether through CCTV or looking at your internet account or tracking your movements by the signal of your mobile phone.

Now we learn that it is still a world so vast that an object as unmistakeable as a Boeing 777 – 200ft long, 200ft broad and six storeys high – can vanish into the wide blue yonder.
Strange days we are living in...

Archibald said:
Quote of the day

Now we learn that it is still a world so vast that an object as unmistakeable as a Boeing 777 – 200ft long, 200ft broad and six storeys high – can vanish into the wide blue yonder.

Or OPSEC.

Well, they can't find this:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/cannibal-rat-infested-ghost-ship-lyubov-orlova-39-132016334.html#o8UcCEZ

Glad I live on the east coast.

As for scenarios...Anyone seen the film "Thunderball"?

Chris

Not being all that familiar with the inner workings of transponders, just the outer workings. Is this secret code that stays with the aircraft in the transponder itself or hidden somewhere else in the airplane, like the way DEA folks at least used to do, (if not still) hide a xpdr somewhere in a suspected drug runner and wire it in with a pre-arranged squawk code to track them? If not and it is in the xpdr itself, trading out xpdrs isn't too big of a job or expense. I've never heard of this but that doesn't mean anything either. :)

What with the combined knowledge base of the SPF membership, we probably could give SPECTRE a run for it's money...

19.46 Officials have revealed a new timeline suggesting the final voice transmission from the cockpit of the missing Malaysian plane may have occurred before any of its communications systems were disabled, adding more uncertainty about who aboard might have been to blame.

Malaysian Airlines CEO Ahmad Jauhari Yahya said an initial investigation indicated that the last words heard from the plane by ground controllers - "All right, good night" - were spoken by the co-pilot, Fariq Abdul Hamid. Had it been a voice other than that of Fariq or the pilot, Zaharie Ahmad Shah, it would have clearest indication yet of something amiss in the cockpit before the flight went off-course.

Malaysian officials said earlier that those words came after one of the jetliner's data communications systems - the Aircraft Communications Addressing and Reporting System - had been switched off, suggesting the voice from the cockpit may have been trying to deceive ground controllers.

However, Amhad said that while the last data transmission from ACARS - which gives plane performance and maintenance information - came before that, it was still unclear at what point the system was switched off, making any implications of the timing murkier.

21.19 A US defense official says the Navy ship that has been helping search for the missing Malaysian airliner is dropping out of the hunt.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the decision has not been officially announced, said it was determined that long-range naval aircraft are a more efficient means of looking for the plane or its debris, now that the search area has broadened. Navy P-3 and P-8 surveillance aircraft are still involved in the search.

But the official said the USS Kidd, an Arleigh Burke-class destroyer that has been searching in the Indian Ocean, will leave the area and return to its normal duties. It is part of the Navy's 7th Fleet.

[Raises eyebrow]

No kidding..

Well 'spose they might know a bit more 'bout it.. ..or they have other things to do,
..like find Capt Kidd's pirate hoard..

& Diego Garcia's massively powerful mil-spec radar plots read.. how?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/malaysia/10704769/Malaysian-Airlines-MH370-live.html

11.25 As discussed at this morning's press conference (see 09.58), some of the Chinese relatives awaiting news in Beijing are reported to have begun a hunger strike in order to obtain more information.

Speaking to reporters, a woman who had led the chanting held up a piece of paper with slogans written on it, and said the families were calling for a hunger strike.

"Respect life, return our relatives. Can everyone read it? Can everyone read it?" she asked.

"We're going on hunger strike. I'm representing," she said.

Read the full story here:

Chinese relatives go on hunger strike to demand more information on missing plane

A Startlingly Simple Theory About the Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet.

There has been a lot of speculation about Malaysia Airlines Flight 370. Terrorism, hijacking, meteors. I cannot believe the analysis on CNN; it’s almost disturbing. I tend to look for a simpler explanation, and I find it with the 13,000-foot runway at Pulau Langkawi.

We know the story of MH370: A loaded Boeing 777 departs at midnight from Kuala Lampur, headed to Beijing. A hot night. A heavy aircraft. About an hour out, across the gulf toward Vietnam, the plane goes dark, meaning the transponder and secondary radar tracking go off. Two days later we hear reports that Malaysian military radar (which is a primary radar, meaning the plane is tracked by reflection rather than by transponder interrogation response) has tracked the plane on a southwesterly course back across the Malay Peninsula into the Strait of Malacca.
The loss of transponders and communications makes perfect sense in a fire.

When I heard this I immediately brought up Google Earth and searched for airports in proximity to the track toward the southwest.

The left turn is the key here. Zaharie Ahmad Shaw was a very experienced senior captain with 18,000 hours of flight time. We old pilots were drilled to know what is the closest airport of safe harbor while in cruise. Airports behind us, airports abeam us, and airports ahead of us. They’re always in our head. Always. If something happens, you don’t want to be thinking about what are you going to do–you already know what you are going to do. When I saw that left turn with a direct heading, I instinctively knew he was heading for an airport. He was taking a direct route to Palau Langkawi, a 13,000-foot airstrip with an approach over water and no obstacles. The captain did not turn back to Kuala Lampur because he knew he had 8,000-foot ridges to cross. He knew the terrain was friendlier toward Langkawi, which also was closer.

Take a look at this airport on Google Earth. The pilot did all the right things. He was confronted by some major event onboard that made him make an immediate turn to the closest, safest airport.

For me, the loss of transponders and communications makes perfect sense in a fire. And there most likely was an electrical fire. In the case of a fire, the first response is to pull the main busses and restore circuits one by one until you have isolated the bad one. If they pulled the busses, the plane would go silent. It probably was a serious event and the flight crew was occupied with controlling the plane and trying to fight the fire. Aviate, navigate, and lastly, communicate is the mantra in such situations.

There are two types of fires. An electrical fire might not be as fast and furious, and there may or may not be incapacitating smoke. However there is the possibility, given the timeline, that there was an overheat on one of the front landing gear tires, it blew on takeoff and started slowly burning. Yes, this happens with underinflated tires. Remember: Heavy plane, hot night, sea level, long-run takeoff. There was a well known accident in Nigeria of a DC8 that had a landing gear fire on takeoff. Once going, a tire fire would produce horrific, incapacitating smoke. Yes, pilots have access to oxygen masks, but this is a no-no with fire. Most have access to a smoke hood with a filter, but this will last only a few minutes depending on the smoke level. (I used to carry one in my flight bag, and I still carry one in my briefcase when I fly.)

What I think happened is the flight crew was overcome by smoke and the plane continued on the heading, probably on George (autopilot), until it ran out of fuel or the fire destroyed the control surfaces and it crashed. You will find it along that route–looking elsewhere is pointless.

Ongoing speculation of a hijacking and/or murder-suicide and that there was a flight engineer on board does not sway me in favor of foul play until I am presented with evidence of foul play.

We know there was a last voice transmission that, from a pilot’s point of view, was entirely normal. “Good night” is customary on a hand-off to a new air traffic control. The “good night” also strongly indicates to me that all was OK on the flight deck. Remember, there are many ways a pilot can communicate distress. A hijack code or even transponder code off by one digit would alert ATC that something was wrong. Every good pilot knows keying an SOS over the mike always is an option. Even three short clicks would raise an alert. So I conclude that at the point of voice transmission all was perceived as well on the flight deck by the pilots.

But things could have been in the process of going wrong, unknown to the pilots.

Evidently the ACARS went inoperative some time before. Disabling the ACARS is not easy, as pointed out. This leads me to believe more in an electrical problem or an electrical fire than a manual shutdown. I suggest the pilots probably were not aware ACARS was not transmitting.

As for the reports of altitude fluctuations, given that this was not transponder-generated data but primary radar at maybe 200 miles, the azimuth readings can be affected by a lot of atmospherics and I would not have high confidence in this being totally reliable. But let’s accept for a minute that the pilot may have ascended to 45,000 feet in a last-ditch effort to quell a fire by seeking the lowest level of oxygen. That is an acceptable scenario. At 45,000 feet, it would be tough to keep this aircraft stable, as the flight envelope is very narrow and loss of control in a stall is entirely possible. The aircraft is at the top of its operational ceiling. The reported rapid rates of descent could have been generated by a stall, followed by a recovery at 25,000 feet. The pilot may even have been diving to extinguish flames.

But going to 45,000 feet in a hijack scenario doesn’t make any good sense to me.

Regarding the additional flying time: On departing Kuala Lampur, Flight 370 would have had fuel for Beijing and an alternate destination, probably Shanghai, plus 45 minutes–say, 8 hours. Maybe more. He burned 20-25 percent in the first hour with takeoff and the climb to cruise. So when the turn was made toward Langkawi, he would have had six hours or more hours worth of fuel. This correlates nicely with the Inmarsat data pings being received until fuel exhaustion.

Fire in an aircraft demands one thing: Get the machine on the ground as soon as possible.

The now known continued flight until time to fuel exhaustion only confirms to me that the crew was incapacitated and the flight continued on deep into the south Indian ocean.

There is no point speculating further until more evidence surfaces, but in the meantime it serves no purpose to malign pilots who well may have been in a struggle to save this aircraft from a fire or other serious mechanical issue. Capt. Zaharie Ahmad Shaw was a hero struggling with an impossible situation trying to get that plane to Langkawi. There is no doubt in my mind. That’s the reason for the turn and direct route. A hijacking would not have made that deliberate left turn with a direct heading for Langkawi. It probably would have weaved around a bit until the hijackers decided where they were taking it.

Surprisingly, none of the reporters, officials, or other pilots interviewed have looked at this from the pilot’s viewpoint: If something went wrong, where would he go? Thanks to Google Earth I spotted Langkawi in about 30 seconds, zoomed in and saw how long the runway was and I just instinctively knew this pilot knew this airport. He had probably flown there many times.

Fire in an aircraft demands one thing: Get the machine on the ground as soon as possible. There are two well-remembered experiences in my memory. The AirCanada DC9 which landed, I believe, in Columbus, Ohio in the 1980s. That pilot delayed descent and bypassed several airports. He didn’t instinctively know the closest airports. He got it on the ground eventually, but lost 30-odd souls. The 1998 crash of Swissair DC-10 off Nova Scotia was another example of heroic pilots. They were 15 minutes out of Halifax but the fire overcame them and they had to ditch in the ocean. They simply ran out of time. That fire incidentally started when the aircraft was about an hour out of Kennedy. Guess what? The transponders and communications were shut off as they pulled the busses.

Get on Google Earth and type in Pulau Langkawi and then look at it in relation to the radar track heading. Two plus two equals four. For me, that is the simple explanation why it turned and headed in that direction. Smart pilot. He just didn’t have the time.

I don't buy that at all, since it seems the plane flew through multiple waypoints after the point of last communications -- it had departed IGARI (toward Vietnam) and appears to have flown through VAMPI (near Aceh and en-route to the Middle East) to GIVAL (south of Phuket) and was headed to IGREX (over the nAndeman Islands toward Europe) when the Malaysian military primary radar trace ends. That's a series of deliberate inputs to the FLight Management System, not just a turn back to an available airport.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/14/us-malaysia-airlines-radar-exclusive-idUSBREA2D0DG20140314

That report doesn't fit with anything else we know. If the plane was visibly on fire that far east of its last confirmed location, it would almost certainly not have been intact and powered six or more hours later and much further west, as shown by the INMARSAT "keep-live" transmissions. Nor would it have flown through a series of waypoints near the north end of the Malacca Strait, as was observed by Malaysis military radar.

TomS said:
That report doesn't fit with anything else we know. If the plane was visibly on fire that far east of its last confirmed location, it would almost certainly not have been intact and powered six or more hours later and much further west, as shown by the INMARSAT "keep-live" transmissions. Nor would it have flown through a series of waypoints near the north end of the Malacca Strait, as was observed by Malaysis military radar.

How does it not fit the timeline? The oil rig worker does not say what time of night he saw it. The compass bearing he relays is 265 to 275, which is West.

Because for him to see it, the plane woudl have had to go even further east than last known, then turn west.

And it fails to explain why the aircraft would have flown through a series of waypoints on the west side of Malaysia. These points are not in a straight line--they zig-zag around and make several turns. This is not the behavior of an unattended aircraft - someone was in the cockpit setting these waypoints, and they're not waypoints that would be set if the goal was to get back to an airport ASAP.

And the theory requires it to do all this while on fire so badly that the flames are visible 50 miles away. A plane on fire that badly is not going to fly for six more hours.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26503141?ocid=socialflow_twitter

TomS said:

But, but, "Thanks to Google Earth I spotted Langkawi in about 30 seconds, zoomed in and saw how long the runway was and I just instinctively knew this pilot knew this airport." ;)

sferrin said:
TomS said:

But, but, "Thanks to Google Earth I spotted Langkawi in about 30 seconds, zoomed in and saw how long the runway was and I just instinctively knew this pilot knew this airport." ;)

Remember, that was written by a pilot and most pilots are inherently familiar with the airports along their flight routes- and they know other pilots are going to be the same way.

sublight is back said:
sferrin said:
TomS said:

Remember, that was written by a pilot and most pilots are inherently familiar with the airports along their flight routes- and they know other pilots are going to be the same way.

Yeah, I just have a problem with overly emotional statements like this:

"There is no point speculating further until more evidence surfaces, . . . Capt. Zaharie Ahmad Shaw was a hero struggling with an impossible situation trying to get that plane to Langkawi. "

So wait a second. We don't know anything so we shouldn't speculate but he was a hero struggling with an impossible situation? What?

sferrin said:

"There is no point speculating further until more evidence surfaces, . . . Capt. Zaharie Ahmad Shaw was a hero struggling with an impossible situation trying to get that plane to Langkawi. "

So wait a second. We don't know anything so we shouldn't speculate but he was a hero struggling with an impossible situation? What?

Yea, he is getting a little emotionally carried away. If by chance this is what really happened, then I can see where this would have been pretty horrific for everyone involved.

sferrin said:

And this statement you have a problem with has absolutely no impact on the argument based on informed speculation that the author has given. So it should effect anyone’s assessment of the argument about a fire emergency.

And frankly pointing out that a pilot in such a situation - that if it happened clearly lead to a fatal crash- was a “hero struggling with an impossible scenario” is not ‘overly emotive’. But factual.

Yes, until the plane is located - there will be endless speculation.
Its a huge area now to search, and is it correct that to pick up the Black Box signalling, you need to be within a 1KM radius?
I personally believe the Pilot and Co-Pilot would have done their utmost is a critical situation.
Saving the passengers with quick action would out-weigh reporting back to traffic control.
But, lack of oxygen at altitude would have had a rapid effect.

Has anyone seen these 2 items, regarding my earlier posting on cabin decompression?

http://mh370lost.tumblr.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c6P42WxyPM

Still has a couple of key problems. ]

1) Based on radar data from both Malaysia and Thailand, the plane did not fly a straight line course after loss of communications. Either someone programmed the FMS to fly a really odd route or they were alive to update it as it passed through each waypoint.

2) The SATCOM antenna isn't very close to the VLF antennas (plural) on the 777. That argues against a failure of that antenna that took out all the other comms on the plane.

http://cdn.lowyat.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/post-418035-1394552563-600x326.jpg

3) SATCOM was still working in background for several hours after the loss of comms. That argues against a structural failure around the antenna.

(PS: the website refers to "radar communications." That alone is a big strike against its credibility.)

Status
Not open for further replies.