Missile ID?

Mark Nankivil

ACCESS: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings All -

A friend spent time at Eglin in the late '50s and passed this photo onto me. Anyone able to ID the missile model?

Thanks in advance! Mark

Attachments

• Eglin 57-4resized.jpg
    Eglin 57-4resized.jpg
    515.1 KB · Views: 522
Everyone in that picture is wearing US military rank insignia. That doesn't mean it's not a model rocket, but the stand looks pretty substantial for a model.

This USAF model look like, (i say look like)

That's it got four wrap-around booster motors for the central craft.
What ever this is, a rocket or Cruise Missile ?

Look like us analog of the British sea slug missile

They look like they are holding certificates which say Air Training Command - perhaps it is just a student project like the RAF Cranfield ones?

Regards,
Barry

Further to Barry's observation, could it be a top-of-the-class trophy?

Chris

My friend says it was taken off a nearby desk to be used as a "prop" for the group photo and had nothing to do with their visit. I think my friend is the second from the left but he has not admitted that yet.

Thanks - Mark

DzmGVtaWsAMZcz_.jpg:large

F-15A-18-MC s/n 77-0064 of the 4485th Test Squadron is seen here with a dummy loadout of a cluster of three Mavericks, a Harpoon, and an unknown (to me) missile under the port wing.

was ist das?

There were a bunch of early post war designs for all kinds of geometries for ram jets and strap on boosters. That could easily be part of that.

My guess is that it's a model of something proposed. I'd say it dates to the late 40's. The multi-booster configuration with a common ring to help make each booster rocket put out equal thrust, was pretty commonly used up until about 1949 or so, when large single solid fuel rocket boosters became the norm in US designs.

My guess is that it's a model of something proposed. I'd say it dates to the late 40's. The multi-booster configuration with a common ring to help make each booster rocket put out equal thrust, was pretty commonly used up until about 1949 or so, when large single solid fuel rocket boosters became the norm in US designs.

Please check the SSM-A-23 links because it's a very close match indeed.
This was an early 1950s antitank project that didn't really work out.

1644631938732.png

F-15A-18-MC s/n 77-0064 of the 4485th Test Squadron is seen here with a dummy loadout of a cluster of three Mavericks, a Harpoon, and an unknown (to me) missile under the port wing.
First time seeing a LAU-88 on an Eagle, so cool!

None of these are terribly mysterious.

STALINE Organ ? but English

Top right is the T34 Calliope:

Lower left is Land Mattress (aka Projector, Rocket 3-inch, No 8 Mk 1):

PLUTON French nuclear 1971

Pluton is quite well-known and was an operational weapon for about 20 years.

The British land mattress rocket launcher as well as the US 4.5" rocket launchers in various forms were very limited and short-lived weapons systems that appeared late in WW 2. The US Army was never keen on rocket launchers as a weapon.

The T27 "Xylophone" was the US Army's most common launch system, and it was never standardized as the T designation shows

1646163963727.png

The T34 "Caliope" version just uses several T27 launchers grouped on a Sherman.

Another variant, issued to just one field artillery battalion, the 282nd, was the T66 launcher

1646164129891.png

The USMC used some in Korea as the M16, but it was phased out of US Army service after WW 2.

The British land mattress rocket launcher as well as the US 4.5" rocket launchers in various forms were very limited and short-lived weapons systems that appeared late in WW 2. The US Army was never keen on rocket launchers as a weapon.

The T27 "Xylophone" was the US Army's most common launch system, and it was never standardized as the T designation shows

View attachment 674977

The T34 "Caliope" version just uses several T27 launchers grouped on a Sherman.

Another variant, issued to just one field artillery battalion, the 282nd, was the T66 launcher

View attachment 674978

The USMC used some in Korea as the M16, but it was phased out of US Army service after WW 2.
That design did live on into the Cold War after a fashion with the M91 115mm (4.5") 45-tube trailer launcher for the utterly horrible M55 chemical rocket that gave everyone involved in their handling and disposal absolute hell.

2475579186_d5040aabcb_k.jpg

DzmGVtaWsAMZcz_.jpg:large

was ist das?

Well well well. Old Man McDonnell wasn't so crazy after all.

message-editor%2F1595283848253-img_6103.jpg

The only configuration and design that are closest to the model exhibited in the photo is the Early BTV and the Cobra BTV from after- war with its boosters arranged around on rings, however it was a ramjet missile.

Attachments

• Eglin 57.jpg
    Eglin 57.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Cobra and  BTV.jpg
    Cobra and BTV.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 58
The only configuration and design that are closest to the model exhibited in the photo is the Early BTV and the Cobra BTV from after- war with its boosters arranged around on rings, however it was a ramjet missile.
No, the multiple booster configuration was common to most US postwar missiles using a booster stage up to about mid 1947 when the single engine booster in-line with the second stage became the norm following developments by Aerojets and the Alleganey Ballistics Lab of those for Project Bumblebee.
Other missiles using this configuration (multiple boosters) included Nike and early GAPA. The 600 model GAPA at Wendover AFB Utah.

Attachments

• gapa 600 2.jpg
    gapa 600 2.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
No, the multiple booster configuration was common to most US postwar missiles using a booster stage up to about mid 1947 when the single engine booster in-line with the second stage became the norm following developments by Aerojets and the Alleganey Ballistics Lab of those for Project Bumblebee.
Other missiles using this configuration (multiple boosters) included Nike and early GAPA. The 600 model GAPA at Wendover AFB Utah.
Admittedly T.A.G, you You're right but the configuration of the BTV appears more similar and closer to the device on the Foto where the boosters are arranged around on rings.

Admittedly T.A.G, you You're right but the configuration of the BTV appears more similar and closer to the device on the Foto where the boosters are arranged around on rings.
The ring at the nose of the boosters (where the guy's finger is pointing) was another common US feature. This was a common collector ring that was intended to even out the thrust of the boosters which otherwise would usually be uneven and result in some instability in flight. I suspect the model is just that. A model that an instructor might use to show the various components of a missile with boosters on it, and not an actual model of something being used or designed.

Back
Top Bottom