Military Books for Teens

starviking

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
A quick question to the Bar: are there any good military book series for kids these days? I’ve been searching Amazon for books like Bill Gunston used to write - with nice, not over-technical summaries of planes, warships, and the like. So far it’s been a bust - does anyone have any good suggestions?

Its a good idea, but I'm not sure there's anything like that. Most books like that for general readers are really basic and sub-Wikipedia in quality IMHO.

As a kid i used to pour over the Jane's volumes in our local reference library (i'm not even sure such things still exist ?)
My other go to's were dads Harleyford and Putnams volumes as well as Aircam and Profiles books ... then the first edition of Derek Wood's Project Cancelled was released which changed everything ! :)

Here, public libraries have sections for Weapons, Warfare, and Military History. Those could give ideas.
Amazon seems to be a source for much more variety. There's so many titles available there.

In addition to technology, what about novels that depict war from the point of view of the ordinary soldiers? From my point of view, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Unknown_Soldier_(novel) is an obvious choice . I'm sure one or more of the films based on it will be shown here on TV, on 06 December.