Miles "Graduate"

boxkite

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
"Miles schlägt die Weiterentwicklung der M.100 "Student" durch ein stärkeres Triebwerk in die Ausführung "Graduate" vor. Dieses Flugzeug soll nur halb so teuer sein, wie ein normaler Strahltrainer. Die "Graduate" ist als Schulflugzeug und als Einsatzjäger für Guerillakriege gedacht."

An attempt of a translation: "Miles proposes a development of the M.100 "Student" using a more powerful engine, half of the costs of a normal jet trainer. The Miles "Graduate" (this is the name of the derivative) is planned as trainer and as ground attack/COIN. aircraft."

SOURCE: Flugwelt-Eildienst Nr. 109 from 18th June 1963 (volume XII) - page 400

My question: Can anybody help with further information? Or did the name of this version later changed and I'm on the wrong track?

" Centurion" was the name later given.
I'll come back to night with more info....

Beginning 1964 the prototype Sudent was modified to the
Mk.2 version with a Marboré 6F turbojet.
Interchangeable underwingpods for a variety of weapons
bombs or rockets were installed.

A four seat communications variant was also planned.
This was known as the Graduate powered by one
Turbomeca Aubisque of 1540 lb thrust.

An other further project was the 4 seat Centurion. A 1 1/8 size
Student powered by a Armstrong Siddeley Viper or two
Rolls-Royce RB.145 engines.

Main source: Miles Aircraft Since 1925.Don L.Brown- Putnam. London 1970

After much searching in my attic, I have found an old 1958 Miles brochure for the M.100 Student.

In the introduction it states that a future development would be the "more improved Centurion".

However, the brochure also has proposed armament for the basic M.100 Student together with a view of Student undertaking a ground attack viewed from the cockpit of a following M.100.

I attach the relevent pages and hope they are of interest.

Attachments

• Miles_M100_Student_Ground_Attack_Armament_1_1958.jpg
    Miles_M100_Student_Ground_Attack_Armament_1_1958.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 846
  • Miles_M100_Student_Ground_Attack_Armament_2_1958.jpg
    Miles_M100_Student_Ground_Attack_Armament_2_1958.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 794
  • Miles_M100_Student_Ground_Attack_Artwork_1958.jpg
    Miles_M100_Student_Ground_Attack_Artwork_1958.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 754
Wow, a great find. Any chance you could provide a .pdf version of the whole brochure for posterity?

Also, I wonder if a dedicated single-seat light attack version of the Student was ever evaluated or sketched, perhaps just a modified forward fuselage with a convertional canopy, ejection seat and a couple of machine guns but identical to the two-seater aft of the cockpit? If Miles never envisioned it, I wonder if the South Africans ever did, as there were discussions at one point to put the Student into production in South Africa.

Mole said:
Also, I wonder if a dedicated single-seat light attack version of the Student was ever evaluated ...

Had the same idea, but remembering the BAC Jet Provost or Cessna T-Bird, both were used as
dedicated strike aircraft with the same seating arrangement. Maybe that a second pair of eyes
was regarded as quite useful ?

Hmm, I don't know about the Jet Provost, but the Cessna A-37 (AKA Super Tweet) was, I think, flown solo in the close-support role and two-up in the forward air controller role. So, yes and no, it depends on the mission.

Next time I'm in the attic I will copy the rest of the brochure - hopefully before next Christmas!

In the meantime there is one other image I was going to post, the accompanying text read:

Carrier Borne

The compactness of the Student enables it to be accommodated on the lift of the smallest aircraft carriers without folding any portion. The fuselage is already suitable for the installation of a hook. With its excellent view, stalling speed only 59 knots, superlative handling characteristics, the Student is ideal for deck-landing training.

Attachments

• Miles_M100_Student_Naval_Artwork_1958.jpg
    Miles_M100_Student_Naval_Artwork_1958.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 605
From 'Learning From The Student', Aeroplane Monthly, May 1975, pp 220-224 :-

"It could be used as a two-seat basic trainer powered by either one Blackburn Turbernéca Marboré 2 engine of 8801b static thrust or two Palas 600 engines, or a four seat communications aircraft known as the Graduate and powered by a 1,5401b thrust Turboméca Aubisque engine.
The Student could also be offered as a light ground attack aircraft, where the excellent forward visibility, light wing loading and manceuvrability were an advantage. In this case the armament was to be carried in underwing pods."

Also :-

"Another proposal was for an AOP version with an increased centre-section span, full span slots, modified flaps, better visibility through rear vision panels and the cabin top, and an intake moulded from clear perspex.
This version could be fitted with a bogie undercarriage for rough field operations, and the controls could be removed from the right-hand seat in order to accommodate a camera installation and observer.
Extra observation windows were also provided."

...the "more improved Centurion".

"In July 1957 the Centurion range, a new, developed and more powerful range of the Student design was announced. As well as the Mk 3, these projects also included the Mk 4, powered by a 1,4051b thrust Turboméca Gourdon engine giving the aircraft an estimated maximum speed of 580 m.p.h. at 25 ,000ft, and the Mk 5, powered by two Turboméca Arbizons developing 5501b of thrust each for take off, and with an estimated speed of 300 m.p.h. at 22,000ft and a climb to l0,000ft in five minutes. All the Centurion variants were 51ft 8in long, and the all-up weight was 4,000lb, making them a little larger than the Student."

...as there were discussions at one point to put the Student into production in South Africa.

"The Student completed its military trials and plans were made for licence production in South Africa for the SAAF, but these were cancelled before being put into effect due to an arms embargo imposed by the British Government,
and the Student never entered production. The prototype, which last flew on August 5|, 1964, was already in its packing case waiting shipment to Cape Town when the Labour Government's embargo brought proceedings to a halt..."

cheers,
Robin.

robunos said:
"In July 1957 the Centurion range, a new, developed and more powerful range of the Student design was announced.

Wonder if this is the same (or related to) the Miles Century project?

Attachments

• Century.jpg
    Century.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 480
My dear Boxkite,

the Miles Graduate is a variant of Miles Centurion,a four seat liaison aircraft/business
jet project,but with a larger fuselage and powered by a Turbomeca Aubisque engines,
and for Satgazer,the Miles Century is not related to them,but it was a new design of
1963,and in 1964 the mock-up was built,and Scottish Aviation was invited to partner
the project.

a bit more about the Century.

F.G.Miles: Century

... A new design,the Century was put foreward in 1963 after a commission from Col.J.Scott of Johannesburg
and was to be a six- to seven seater executive twinjet able to travel over 1.600miles at 450 mph.
In 1964 a mock-up was built at Shoreham,and Scottish Aviation were invited to partner the project.
Power would have been provided by two Turbomeca Aubisques of 1.540lb thrust.
The design ,of high wing layout with a single fin and mid tailplane , attracted interest of joint funding from
governement, and studies were made as a joint venture with France , but the
company was unable to fund its share of the project.

Span: 40ft.

so far :Richard Payne in 'Stuck on the Drawing Board' Tempus 2004.U.K.

P.S. :Air Enthusiast N° 69-70 produced also a lot of info about the Miles Student /Centurion/Graduate and Century.

Hi,
There was a canard light transport proposed in the middle sixties, i think there was an illustration in Flight published some years later. i do not know if it was devolved from the student.

lark said:
a bit more about the Century.

F.G.Miles: Century

... A new designs,the Century was put foreward in 1963 after a commission from Col.J.Scott of Johannesburg
and was to be a six- to seven seater executive twinjet able to travel over 1.600miles at 450 mph.
In 1964 a mock-up was built at Shoreham,and Scottish Aviation were invited to partner the project.
Power would have been provided by two Turbomeca Aubisques of 1.540lb thrust.
The design ,of high wing layout with a single fin and mid tailplane , attracted interest of joint funding from
governement, and studies were made as a joint venture with France , but the
company was unable to fund its share of the project.

Span: 40ft.

so far :Richard Payne in 'Stuck on the Drawing Board' Tempus 2004.U.K.

P.S. :Air Enthusiast N° 69-70 produced also a lot of info about the Miles Student /Centurion/Graduate and Century.

Some more from the 1958 Miles Student brochure...(only a year late!)

Attachments

• Miles_M100_Student_Cockpit_[3].png
    Miles_M100_Student_Cockpit_[3].png
    296.4 KB · Views: 166
  • Miles_M100_Student_Cockpit_[2].png
    Miles_M100_Student_Cockpit_[2].png
    871.8 KB · Views: 177
  • Miles_M100_Student_Cockpit_[1].png
    Miles_M100_Student_Cockpit_[1].png
    822.3 KB · Views: 215
  • Miles_M100_Student_Exploded_View.png
    Miles_M100_Student_Exploded_View.png
    311.7 KB · Views: 242
Providing more images from what is probably the same document Cy-27 provided above - Miles Student.

Attachments

• scan0656.jpg
    scan0656.jpg
    466.9 KB · Views: 35
  • scan0657.jpg
    scan0657.jpg
    792.8 KB · Views: 38
  • scan0655.jpg
    scan0655.jpg
    837.1 KB · Views: 39
  • scan0654.jpg
    scan0654.jpg
    841.4 KB · Views: 35
  • scan0659.jpg
    scan0659.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 39
And some info on the similar Miles Graduate.

Attachments

• scan.jpg
    scan.jpg
    475 KB · Views: 38
  • scan0648.jpg
    scan0648.jpg
    358.9 KB · Views: 38
  • scan0649.jpg
    scan0649.jpg
    1,021 KB · Views: 37
  • scan0650.jpg
    scan0650.jpg