• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Mew Gull

smurf

ACCESS: Top Secret
Joined
Sep 6, 2006
Messages
547
Reaction score
26
Reading the Bugatti thread made me wonder:
Has anyone any information on the fighter Percival proposed in 1940, based on the Mew Gull racer?
 

lark

ACCESS: Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2006
Messages
1,805
Reaction score
70
Maybe the Percival P.33 fighter project of 1940.

The P.32 was a projected ground attack-anti invasion-variant (1940) of the Mew Gull.

Source : the Aroplane Spotter-February 7 of 1948.
 

lark

ACCESS: Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2006
Messages
1,805
Reaction score
70
Must be 'Aeroplane...' of course...

P.33 was to be powered by a 1300Hp. RollsRoyce xxx engine.
weapons : four 0.303 Brwowings.
 

smurf

ACCESS: Top Secret
Joined
Sep 6, 2006
Messages
547
Reaction score
26
Thanks.
I should have said that what I already know is from The British Fighter since 1912 Peter Lewis 1965
the single-seat Percival P.33AB with a 1300hp Merlin and four .303 Brownings - which was expected to have a top speed of 352mph and would have resembled an enlarged Mew Gull fitted with a retractable undercarriage.
Silvester's Percival and Hunting Aircraft says
based on the aerodynamic configuration of the Mew Gull but somewhat larger
and that the Merlin XX was to be used.
The design was in competition with the Miles M20
I was hoping someone might know how much larger, and perhaps even have a drawing.
 

lark

ACCESS: Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2006
Messages
1,805
Reaction score
70
If you have time , will you check your mail Smurf ?
 

smurf

ACCESS: Top Secret
Joined
Sep 6, 2006
Messages
547
Reaction score
26
With thanks to Lark for a 2cm picture in an Aeroplane Spotter, and to my wife with Adobe Photoshop:
 

Attachments

  • percival P33ed copy.jpg
    percival P33ed copy.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 930

Methuselah

Ancient Aviation Junkie.
Joined
Jan 21, 2018
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
The Mew itself was wholly unsuitable for any conversion. There was a 'Panic Fighter' proposal to hang a couple of Brownings off the wings of the extant Mews, but that was totally half-baked. With those on the wings it wouldn't have been able to catch a cold. The other proposals for a fighter were only based on the broad configuration of the Mew. In order to accommodate a Merlin, the whole a/c would have needed to be considerably bigger in order to constrain the wing loading. Mew content.....basically zero.
 

Justo Miranda

ACCESS: Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2007
Messages
4,211
Reaction score
1,850
From my next book "Enemy at the Gates: Panic Fighters of the Second World War" :)
 

Attachments

  • img974.jpg
    img974.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 224
  • img975.jpg
    img975.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 223

cluttonfred

ACCESS: Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2008
Messages
1,373
Reaction score
98
Website
cluttonfred.info
Justo Miranda said:
From my next book "Enemy at the Gates: Panic Fighters of the Second World War" :)

If that's not a joke then you can put me down for a copy right now! That's a topic and era that really fascinates me, not just the late-war German ones that everyone knows but also projects like the Miles M.20 and Bell XP-77 and several stopgap fighters that actually saw services like the Caudron C.714, Koolhoven F.K.58, IAR 80, CAC Boomerang, Ambrosini SAI.207, etc.
 

Justo Miranda

ACCESS: Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2007
Messages
4,211
Reaction score
1,850
"Enemy at the Gates: Panic Fighters of the Second World War"
CONTENTS SCALE DRAWINGS
- Avia B.35 Mock-up
- Avia B.35.1
- Avia B.35.3
- Avia B.135.1
- PZL P.50 1st prototype
- PZL P.50 2nd prototype
- PZL P.55
- PZL P.56
- RWD 25 Sokol
- PZL P.45 Sokol
- PWS 42 Sokol
- Orlogs Vaerftet OV-J-1
- Fairey P4/34
- Koolhoven FK.55
- Koolhoven FK 58 with DB 600
- Fokker Ontwerp 150,151,192 and 192
- Fokker D.XXI H with Hispano Suiza 12 Y
- Fokker D.XXIII
- De Schelde S.21
- Renard R.36,37 and 38
- Renard R.40
- Renard R.42
- C.A.P.R.A. R.30
- Bloch MB 700
- Bugatti 110P
- Morane Saulnier MS 408 C1
- Morane Saulnier MS 450
- Morane Saulnier MS 460
- Morane Saulnier MS 540
- Morane Saulnier MS 640
- Payen Pa 112 C1
- Roussel 30
- Potez 230
- Miles M.20/1
- Miles M.20/2
- Miles M.24
- Percival P.32
- Percival P.33
- Shamah Rammer
- Martin-Baker Swinging Arm
- EKW C-3602/03
- Doflug D-3802
- I.A.R. 80 with Jumo 211 Da
- I.A.R. 80 with DB 601 AA
- Manfred Weiss W.M.23
- Marton XV-01
- Ikarus IK-2
- Rogozarsky IK-3
- V.L. Myrsky
- V.L. Pyörremyrsky
- V.L. Puuska
- Irbitis I-16
- Irbitis I-19
- Cuckurs C-6
- Aviotease PN-3
- SAAB J19
- SAAB J22
- SAAB J23
- SAAB J27
- Kwangsi Type 3
- Chu XP-0
- Chu XP-1
- Curtiss-Wright CW-21
- Curtiss-Wright CW-21B
- Republic P-43A
- Vultee P-66
- North American NA 68
- North American NA 69
- Commonwealth XP-17
- Commonwealth CA-14
- Commonwealth CA-14A
- Commonwealth CAC P-176
- Commonwealth CA-15 (may 1942)
- Commonwealth CA-15 (november 1942)
- Commonwealth CA-15 (early 1943)
- Commonwealth CA-15 (june 1943)
- Commonwealth CA-15 R.R. Griffon 61
- Commonwealth CA-15 Racer
 

Jemiba

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Senior Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
8,221
Reaction score
926
I fully agree to cluttonfred, that's a theme and an era, that's inadequately represented still yet,
to my opinion, though most of those projects probably had a better chance to be realised, than
many of the late-war German projects. Great contensts list, when is the publishing date ?
 

athpilot

Fly me to the moon...
Joined
Nov 18, 2012
Messages
305
Reaction score
108
Justo Miranda said:
"Enemy at the Gates: Panic Fighters of the Second World War"
CONTENTS SCALE DRAWINGS
- Avia B.35 Mock-up
- Avia B.35.1
- Avia B.35.3
- Avia B.135.1
- PZL P.50 1st prototype
- PZL P.50 2nd prototype
- PZL P.55
- PZL P.56
- RWD 25 Sokol
- PZL P.45 Sokol
- PWS 42 Sokol
- Orlogs Vaerftet OV-J-1
- Fairey P4/34
- Koolhoven FK.55
- Koolhoven FK 58 with DB 600
- Fokker Ontwerp 150,151,192 and 192
- Fokker D.XXI H with Hispano Suiza 12 Y
- Fokker D.XXIII
- De Schelde S.21
- Renard R.36,37 and 38
- Renard R.40
- Renard R.42
- C.A.P.R.A. R.30
- Bloch MB 700
- Bugatti 110P
- Morane Saulnier MS 408 C1
- Morane Saulnier MS 450
- Morane Saulnier MS 460
- Morane Saulnier MS 540
- Morane Saulnier MS 640
- Payen Pa 112 C1
- Roussel 30
- Potez 230
- Miles M.20/1
- Miles M.20/2
- Miles M.24
- Percival P.32
- Percival P.33
- Shamah Rammer
- Martin-Baker Swinging Arm
- EKW C-3602/03
- Doflug D-3802
- I.A.R. 80 with Jumo 211 Da
- I.A.R. 80 with DB 601 AA
- Manfred Weiss W.M.23
- Marton XV-01
- Ikarus IK-2
- Rogozarsky IK-3
- V.L. Myrsky
- V.L. Pyörremyrsky
- V.L. Puuska
- Irbitis I-16
- Irbitis I-19
- Cuckurs C-6
- Aviotease PN-3
- SAAB J19
- SAAB J22
- SAAB J23
- SAAB J27
- Kwangsi Type 3
- Chu XP-0
- Chu XP-1
- Curtiss-Wright CW-21
- Curtiss-Wright CW-21B
- Republic P-43A
- Vultee P-66
- North American NA 68
- North American NA 69
- Commonwealth XP-17
- Commonwealth CA-14
- Commonwealth CA-14A
- Commonwealth CAC P-176
- Commonwealth CA-15 (may 1942)
- Commonwealth CA-15 (november 1942)
- Commonwealth CA-15 (early 1943)
- Commonwealth CA-15 (june 1943)
- Commonwealth CA-15 R.R. Griffon 61
- Commonwealth CA-15 Racer

Whoooo! Very cool. Still sitting here and counting down the days when the "Focke Wulf Jet Fighters" will arrive and now I can´t wait to have this one... ;D The czech and polish planes are here the most interesting to me. What did they plan to hold off the germans?
Btw: Is there still a cover illustration?

Thanks and greetings
Athpilot
 

Justo Miranda

ACCESS: Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2007
Messages
4,211
Reaction score
1,850
Jemiba said:
I fully agree to cluttonfred, that's a theme and an era, that's inadequately represented still yet,
to my opinion, though most of those projects probably had a better chance to be realised, than
many of the late-war German projects. Great contensts list, when is the publishing date ?


February 2019 :)
 

Justo Miranda

ACCESS: Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2007
Messages
4,211
Reaction score
1,850
athpilot said:
Justo Miranda said:
"Enemy at the Gates: Panic Fighters of the Second World War"
CONTENTS SCALE DRAWINGS
- Avia B.35 Mock-up
- Avia B.35.1
- Avia B.35.3
- Avia B.135.1
- PZL P.50 1st prototype
- PZL P.50 2nd prototype
- PZL P.55
- PZL P.56
- RWD 25 Sokol
- PZL P.45 Sokol
- PWS 42 Sokol
- Orlogs Vaerftet OV-J-1
- Fairey P4/34
- Koolhoven FK.55
- Koolhoven FK 58 with DB 600
- Fokker Ontwerp 150,151,192 and 192
- Fokker D.XXI H with Hispano Suiza 12 Y
- Fokker D.XXIII
- De Schelde S.21
- Renard R.36,37 and 38
- Renard R.40
- Renard R.42
- C.A.P.R.A. R.30
- Bloch MB 700
- Bugatti 110P
- Morane Saulnier MS 408 C1
- Morane Saulnier MS 450
- Morane Saulnier MS 460
- Morane Saulnier MS 540
- Morane Saulnier MS 640
- Payen Pa 112 C1
- Roussel 30
- Potez 230
- Miles M.20/1
- Miles M.20/2
- Miles M.24
- Percival P.32
- Percival P.33
- Shamah Rammer
- Martin-Baker Swinging Arm
- EKW C-3602/03
- Doflug D-3802
- I.A.R. 80 with Jumo 211 Da
- I.A.R. 80 with DB 601 AA
- Manfred Weiss W.M.23
- Marton XV-01
- Ikarus IK-2
- Rogozarsky IK-3
- V.L. Myrsky
- V.L. Pyörremyrsky
- V.L. Puuska
- Irbitis I-16
- Irbitis I-19
- Cuckurs C-6
- Aviotease PN-3
- SAAB J19
- SAAB J22
- SAAB J23
- SAAB J27
- Kwangsi Type 3
- Chu XP-0
- Chu XP-1
- Curtiss-Wright CW-21
- Curtiss-Wright CW-21B
- Republic P-43A
- Vultee P-66
- North American NA 68
- North American NA 69
- Commonwealth XP-17
- Commonwealth CA-14
- Commonwealth CA-14A
- Commonwealth CAC P-176
- Commonwealth CA-15 (may 1942)
- Commonwealth CA-15 (november 1942)
- Commonwealth CA-15 (early 1943)
- Commonwealth CA-15 (june 1943)
- Commonwealth CA-15 R.R. Griffon 61
- Commonwealth CA-15 Racer

Whoooo! Very cool. Still sitting here and counting down the days when the "Focke Wulf Jet Fighters" will arrive and now I can´t wait to have this one... ;D The czech and polish planes are here the most interesting to me. What did they plan to hold off the germans?
Btw: Is there still a cover illustration?

Thanks and greetings
Athpilot



Payen fighters shooting Stukas
 

airman

ACCESS: Top Secret
Joined
Oct 14, 2007
Messages
1,214
Reaction score
82
Website
zeef.com
Justo Miranda said:
"Enemy at the Gates: Panic Fighters of the Second World War"
CONTENTS SCALE DRAWINGS
- Avia B.35 Mock-up
- Avia B.35.1
- Avia B.35.3
- Avia B.135.1
- PZL P.50 1st prototype
- PZL P.50 2nd prototype
- PZL P.55
- PZL P.56
- RWD 25 Sokol
- PZL P.45 Sokol
- PWS 42 Sokol
- Orlogs Vaerftet OV-J-1
- Fairey P4/34
- Koolhoven FK.55
- Koolhoven FK 58 with DB 600
- Fokker Ontwerp 150,151,192 and 192
- Fokker D.XXI H with Hispano Suiza 12 Y
- Fokker D.XXIII
- De Schelde S.21
- Renard R.36,37 and 38
- Renard R.40
- Renard R.42
- C.A.P.R.A. R.30
- Bloch MB 700
- Bugatti 110P
- Morane Saulnier MS 408 C1
- Morane Saulnier MS 450
- Morane Saulnier MS 460
- Morane Saulnier MS 540
- Morane Saulnier MS 640
- Payen Pa 112 C1
- Roussel 30
- Potez 230
- Miles M.20/1
- Miles M.20/2
- Miles M.24
- Percival P.32
- Percival P.33
- Shamah Rammer
- Martin-Baker Swinging Arm
- EKW C-3602/03
- Doflug D-3802
- I.A.R. 80 with Jumo 211 Da
- I.A.R. 80 with DB 601 AA
- Manfred Weiss W.M.23
- Marton XV-01
- Ikarus IK-2
- Rogozarsky IK-3
- V.L. Myrsky
- V.L. Pyörremyrsky
- V.L. Puuska
- Irbitis I-16
- Irbitis I-19
- Cuckurs C-6
- Aviotease PN-3
- SAAB J19
- SAAB J22
- SAAB J23
- SAAB J27
- Kwangsi Type 3
- Chu XP-0
- Chu XP-1
- Curtiss-Wright CW-21
- Curtiss-Wright CW-21B
- Republic P-43A
- Vultee P-66
- North American NA 68
- North American NA 69
- Commonwealth XP-17
- Commonwealth CA-14
- Commonwealth CA-14A
- Commonwealth CAC P-176
- Commonwealth CA-15 (may 1942)
- Commonwealth CA-15 (november 1942)
- Commonwealth CA-15 (early 1943)
- Commonwealth CA-15 (june 1943)
- Commonwealth CA-15 R.R. Griffon 61
- Commonwealth CA-15 Racer

i remember about it on Reich Dreams ebooks
 

lark

ACCESS: Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2006
Messages
1,805
Reaction score
70
Mouthwatering contentslist Justo.
It will be a long year ;)

P.
 

riggerrob

I really should change my personal text
Senior Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2012
Messages
1,098
Reaction score
546
Wow!
February 2019 is a long time to wait for a book about "Panic Fighters!"
A loooooooooooong time.
 

Similar threads

Top