• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Merriman's Submarine Modelling

merriman

David Douglass Merriman lll
Reaction score
Your posts always give me the feeling, I once had in the apprenticeship workshop, when the foreman demonstrated
a new technique to us ... often with that special aha-effect. Thanks for sharing ! ;)
It is most gratifying to hear that, sir. You made my day.

My country has lost touch with the classic apprentice, journeyman, master ranking and order of Craft; a time honored system best suited to teaching, refining, and passing on the skills of a specialized guild. We are the poorer for its abandonment. Professionals have become to 'specialized'.

These posts are my attempts to keep the spark alive by passing on what other Craftsmen taught me.

David

Mark Nankivil

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
You continue to amaze me - thanks for sharing your work! Mark

merriman

Reaction score
I've been busy, but had nothing new to show off. Hence my absence from the forum of late. Only recently have I found a few things to save me from the crushing boredom of MSD production work.

Here are some recent shots of production work, SOS I'm afraid:

Hurray! I just got working drawings from Richard O'Malley on a 1/96 USS NAUTILUS we're collaborating on. Finally! Some model building to break shop boredom! He's doing the hull master, I'm doing the fiddley stuff. We'll reduce our work to proper tools and from there will produce r/c submarines for ourselves.

My model building pal, Kevin Rimrodt, is putting the finishing touches on his backyard 'shed' that will be his production facility for the kits he's going to produce starting early next year. Stay tuned, more GRP ship and submarine hulls soon to be available!

David

merriman

Reaction score
FINALLY! I get to do some traditional model-building stuff!

Here I'm checking out a RTR 1/72 SKIPJACK submarine assembled by good friend Tom Chalfant who sold it to another guy. A little maintenance to the propulsion motor, replaced a bum angle-keeper, installed an r/c system, and dialed in the transmitter for correct servo direction and end-points. Should have this thing in the water soon for a final trim check, then I box it up and send it on its way.

This little 3D printed Swimmer Delivery Vehicle (SDV), MK-8 was produced by a wonderful model-builder, Darrin Hataway. He's done masters for such outfits as OTW and is now negotiating with Nautilus Drydocks to produce kits of the MK-8 as well as several scale sizes of the German one-man submarine, DELFIN.

I'm working up a practical WTC for the SDV -- so far it's gone through no less than four iterations, but I've finally settled on a hybrid employing both MSD and SD bulkheads and fittings. I call it the FrankenSubDriver.

Darrin is working up a big and small DELFIN. This is the small one and an early mock-up of the WTC it needs to make it a practical r/c submarine/pool toy.

A while back I produced a 1/96 kit of the German Type-212 submarine --Steve Neill did the hull master, Brian Stark detailed it beautifully, and I produced the appendages, propeller, and WTC. One of those kits got into the capable hands of Manfred Reusing, way up there in northern Europe.

Manfred sold it to a guy here in the States and sent the model -- several seasons of good use under its belt -- to me for check-out and forwarding it to his customer.

Amazing features: two practical gas propelled torpedoes, practical deck vents and hatches, retractable masts, and a working floating recovery buoy should the boat get stuck on the bottom. Manfred is scary good at this shit!

... and the usual MSD tool making stuff (sigh).

merriman

Reaction score
Yesterday -- after nine months of design, prototype, master and tool work -- I finally settled down to a session of resin casting in support of our new product, the modular subdriver (MSD). We're in the production phase of the effort. Time to cash in on all that hard work.

Darrin Hataway, an excellent model-builder, has produced this beautiful little SDV, MK-8 model submarine. He generated a file for use by guys who wish to 3D print their own hulls employing godless, spawn-of-Satin Star Trek technology.

He sent me this little gem so I could work up a water tight cylinder (WTC) for it. A simple affair: 2.5" diameter, a very small ballast tank and employing both old SD bulkheads, and the new MSD type bulkheads.

Darrin has struck a deal with my Boss, Bob Martin of Nautilus Drydocks. Bob will market the 3D files and sell the hybrid water tight cylinders I make for customers looking for a unique, maneuverable, and fast pool toy.

The real SDV's are wet type subs that are used by SEAL's and other sneaky types who need a cold and exhausting ride to and from the job at hand.

Initially I'm making three of these WTC's. One for me to proof out integration with the hull, one for Bob, and one for Darrin. Three sharp knifes working out the bugs should get the product ready to sell in no time. That's the plan, anyway.