Merriman's Submarine Modelling Masterclass

Really appreciate your posting all these images and info in this thread - great stuff!!

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Really appreciate your posting all these images and info in this thread - great stuff!!

Enjoy the Day! Mark
Thank you, Mark. We all have Orionblamblam to thank for these posts... he put me up to these postings, this flagrant violation of Internet decorum, and tenets of the Geniva Convention.

That’s lovely:

This may be of interest to you:

Has anyone tried to use a kite-sail to tow an object below all the wave action—-only lines cutting through the surface?

That’s lovely:

This may be of interest to you:

Has anyone tried to use a kite-sail to tow an object below all the wave action—-only lines cutting through the surface?
Does mounting a model shark-fin atop a SKIPJACK model count? (Cleared a kiddy pool quick with that gag once... then I was asked to leave -- Ellie was very quiet on the drive back home).

From age ten I knew I was going to build models professionally for the movies; just about every free moment of my life -- through school and a career in the Navy -- was spent studying and practicing the Craft.

One vital aspect of the discipline is learning how to draw, both technical and sketch type work; stuff you can work from and stuff to tickle the creative juices of you and the client alike.

One such exercise was to draft a very famous SF movie spacecraft, 'The Ark of Space', and make the presentation in an ersatz 'general arrangement', three-view, orthographic format. Complete title-block, technical authentication blocks and listing of associated drawing numbers. Very official looking. That project done during off-hours aboard the USS YOSEMITE on a Mediterranean half-year deployment -- something to add to my ever-expanding resume; my door-opener for the day Ellie and I would march into Burbank and demand a high-paying model-builder's job.

Later, I added axillary views to illustrate suggested model building techniques -- all that condensed into an article for one of the many model magazines I was contributing to at the time.

Professionals either publish, or they perish! Mom taught me that. And she was right.

Much to my surprise, that drawing recently found its way into the pages of Bill Warren's magnum opus of SF movies, KEEP WATCHING THE SKIES. I don't know if he's aware that the drawing is merely a work of fan-art and not from the Parmount files. Well... cat's out of the bag now!

And in time we did get some movie and TV work -- and that portfolio, featuring sketch, conceptual, orthographic, and story-board work got us the jobs. A life well planned.

Last edited:
It's really refreshing to see a superb craftsman skill set that won't be taken over by so-called AI anytime soon.
Too late. today It's CAD, CNC, resin and filament printing.

Full blown Start Trek Replicators are right around the corner, boy's and girl's -- working off your Musk implant.

(Remember what happened to the Krell -- only took one night to fix their wagon).

Mankind is painting itself into a corner.

I've lived too long.

David