Mephisto - the only surviving A7 tank

Would it not make sense to swap the two and allow the original to go back to Germany? Seems to me that if there is only one, it belongs in Germany.

Foo Fighter said:
Woould it not make sense to swap the two and allow the original to go back to Germany? Seems to me that if there is only one, it belongs in Germany.

We won it off them, fair and square. They ignored that, for over sixty years and then suddenly, "Oh, we would like to buy it back, please?" Sorry, mate, we'll let you copy it but we keep the original.

Foo Fighter said:
Woould it not make sense to swap the two and allow the original to go back to Germany? Seems to me that if there is only one, it belongs in Germany.
In 1667, the Royal Charles was captured during the Raid on the Medway. She was scrapped in 1673, but her stern piece was preserved and has been kept in the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam since 1883. In 2012, it was on loan to the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich for an exhibition about the river Thames, but has since been returned to Amsterdam.

You capture it, you keep it.

If they had the replica, woud it be so bad/important?

Foo Fighter said:
Would it not make sense to swap the two and allow the original to go back to Germany? Seems to me that if there is only one, it belongs in Germany.

Why ?
The German Imperial Army abandon this Tank after its crew drive it into a hole in battlefield.
The 26th Battalion found the tank and transported back to Australia and they take care of it over 99 years.
And most thoughtful, even put it in a protective cocoon!

Mephisto is ONLY surviving A7V tank, While all other A7V were destroy after the War.
because The 26th Battalion refused British orders and took Mephisto as trophy, literally move to other end of World, were it survived !

On Mephisto was source for other Replicas:
Next the German replica Wotan in the Deutsches Panzermuseum in Munster. (based on Mephisto)
are British replica of A7V number 504, Schnuck in the Tank Museum, Bovington (based on Mephisto)
and a mobile A7V mock-up is at the Milovice Tankodrome in the Czech Republic. (movie prop?)

Last edited: