Mauboussin Type 40 Hémiptère

cluttonfred

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Website
cluttonfred.info
Hi ho, all, I've been away from this forum for a while. I am working on a concept for a homebuilt aircraft not unlike the 1936 Mauboussin Type 40 Hemiptère, a low front wing, high rear wing tandem design. I am looking for articles, analyses, etc. on this design, in English or French. I am particularly hoping to identify the airfoils used in the design. Here is a photo and an article from the FLIGHT archives to show you what I mean. Thanks and regards, Matthew

Attachments

• mauboussin hemiptère front.jpg
    mauboussin hemiptère front.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 644
  • 1936 - 2533 Mauboussin 1.pdf
    326 KB · Views: 49
  • 1936 - 2536 Mauboussin 2.pdf
    344.3 KB · Views: 42
The front foil looks like a Fauvel one b? And the rear looks like NACA 00 series.

Here:
http://www.nurflugel.com/Nurflugel/Fauvel/e_biograph.htm
"Still in 1928, toward the end of the year, Charles Fauvel put the finishing touches of a small light single-seater, the Peyret-Mauboussin PM-10" so at least Fauvel built one P-M plane.

True, it could be a Fauvel or an Abrial, but I don't know how much faith I should put in that tiny little sketch. I am hoping to find a reference of some kind that actually identifies the airfoils. Cheers, Matthew

Attachments

• hemiptere wing arrangement.gif
    hemiptere wing arrangement.gif
    18.8 KB · Views: 493
I've attached the sparse information given by Christian Castello "Planeurs & Avions" :

Attachments

• Mauboussin_M-40.jpg
    Mauboussin_M-40.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 481
  • Mauboussin_M-40_data.jpg
    Mauboussin_M-40_data.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 454
  • Mauboussin_M-40_text.jpg
    Mauboussin_M-40_text.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 451
Waking the dead, I know, but I am still hoping to find the exact airfoils and other technical details for the Mauboussin tandem. Perhaps in contemporary (late 1930s) French aviation magazines? Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers, Matthew

Here are some new (to me) pics from a contemporary issue of Les Ailes!

Attachments

• mauboussin hemiptere les ailes 1936-06-18.jpg
    mauboussin hemiptere les ailes 1936-06-18.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 67
Here are a few more treasures from my recent visit to the research library of the Musée de l'Air et de l'Espace at Le Bourget in Paris, including the original factory brochure for the little Mauboussin tandem. Cheers, Matthew

Attachments

• Mauboussin M40 Hémiptère factory brochure p1.jpg
    Mauboussin M40 Hémiptère factory brochure p1.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 85
  • Mauboussin M40 Hémiptère factory brochure p2.jpg
    Mauboussin M40 Hémiptère factory brochure p2.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 85
  • Mauboussin M40 Hémiptère - L'Aeronautique - 1936-02-13.jpg
    Mauboussin M40 Hémiptère - L'Aeronautique - 1936-02-13.jpg
    787.5 KB · Views: 69
  • Mauboussin M40 Hémiptère article - source unknown - circa 1936.jpg
    Mauboussin M40 Hémiptère article - source unknown - circa 1936.jpg
    395.5 KB · Views: 85
And for the cherry on top of the cake, the museum just sent me a scan of a previously unpublished (as far as I know) period photo of the Mauboussin Type 40 Hémiptère from the files at Le Bourget. Cheers, Matthew

Attachments

• MAUBOUSSIN_TYPE_40 (cropped & smaller).jpg
    MAUBOUSSIN_TYPE_40 (cropped & smaller).jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 66
cluttonfred said:
By the way, as a one-off prototype, this might actually be more correctly filed under "Early Aircraft Projects."
If this thread is corrected, the spelling of Hémiptère should be corrected as well to have both its diacritical accents or none. One simply does not make sense.
Hemiptere or Hémiptère, but neither Hemiptère nor Hémiptere.

title corrected

Absolutely right, thanks for the clue !

Thanks for the move and the corrected spelling. And yes, Jens, on the choice of subforum I would argue that a proof-of-concept aircraft intended to pave the way for series production of some new innovation (whether it panned out or not) is exactly the kind of one-off prototype that should be includeed in our discussions.

Jemiba said:
Well, "...Prototypes that didn't enter series production may also be appropriate at the discretion of the moderators..."
As said in those articles, the Hemiptère wasn't just a concept, or experimental aircraft, but should lead to a series
of light, affordable and, above all, safe aircraft.

In the French magazine Le Fana de l'Aviation, No.543, February 2015, there is an 4-page article about the Mauboussin Type 40 Hémiptère.

Must look out for that. The February issue of le Fana wasn't in the Maison de la Presse when I went in on Friday. I'll check again next week.

While I do get to France from time to time, it's a long way from Nairobi and I don't plan to go anytime soon. If anyone would be willing to scan and send me a copy of the article, I'd be very grateful. I recently purchased a DVD with scans of the original Mauboussin Type 40 Hémiptère plans and I am always on the lookout for more info. Merci!

Done Matthew, pls check your mailbox.
The article is by Christian Ravel who also published an article in the revue of "The Musée Régional de l'Air" on the Peyret Taupin retaining quite the same tandem wings scheme.

Photos copyright: GPPA.

Attachments

• IMG_0002a.jpg
    IMG_0002a.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 168
  • IMG_0004a.jpg
    IMG_0004a.jpg
    367.7 KB · Views: 144
From the "new" company site
Jun08228-1024x744.jpg