• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Tandem wing comparisons, studies

cluttonfred

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Website
cluttonfred.info
Hi, all! I have a weakness for tandem wing designs including of Mignet, Delanne, Miles and others. I wonder if anyone knows of any academic or scholarly analyses of the the pros and cons of tandem wings vs. canards vs. conventional configuratons, or the the pros and cons of various tandem wing configurations?

Thanks and regards,

Matthew

Retrofit

Reaction score
Mole said:
Hi, all! I have a weakness for tandem wing designs including of Mignet, Delanne, Miles and others. I wonder if anyone knows of any academic or scholarly analyses of the the pros and cons of tandem wings vs. canards vs. conventional configuratons, or the the pros and cons of various tandem wing configurations?

Thanks and regards,

Matthew

Hi Matthew,
You can try this web-page but it's in French:

"Stabilité et formule Mignet: Nouvelles réflexions sur la stabilité longitudinale des appareils de formule Mignet."
(Stability and the "Mignet" formula: New reflexions on the longitudinal stability of the Mignet formula aircraft)

http://inter.action.free.fr/publications/stabilite/stabilite.html

and, on the same site:
"Des couacs chez les canards" (Ooops, difficult to translate, something like: "Quack" for the canards)
http://inter.action.free.fr/publications/canards/canards.htm

All the best,
Philippe

cluttonfred

Reaction score
Website
cluttonfred.info
Thanks for these, Philippe, and French is no problem. I do actually have a lot of info on the Mignet configuration but not much on any other tandem designs. I am particularly looking for something objective on the pros and cons of the Delanne configuration. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Mark Nankivil

Top Contributor
Reaction score
And if you find something, please share it here as I am fascinated by the Delanne designs as well.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

mz

Reaction score
There was the early tandem wing UAV Alliant Techsystems RQ-6 Outrider
http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/app2/q-6.html

It didn't work very well and even after a significant redesign the conventional RQ-7 Shadow was deemed better.

cluttonfred

Reaction score
Website
cluttonfred.info
I found three past articles on the Delanne designs in an index of French magazine FANA DE L'AVIATION. Do any of our French-speaking members have these in their collections?

12/1988 No. 229 p20
Delanne : une certaine formule
1ère partie
Liron Jean

01/1989 No. 230 p14
2ème partie
Cuny Jean

02/1989 No. 231 p33
3ème partie
Cuny Jean / Lebourg J.

Cheers,

Matthew

cluttonfred

Reaction score
Website
cluttonfred.info
Yes, I do, thanks, and I have corresponded with Koen. But I am still looking for something more technical on tandem wings, especially the Delanne configuration. Cheers, Matthew

Kryptid

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Dr. Daniel P. Raymer's textbook talks about tandem wings. He says that it's best to design a tandem-winged aircraft with each wing as far separated as possible from the other, both in the vertical and horizontal planes. Otherwise, the second wing will lose lift due to airflow disturbance coming off of the first wing.

cluttonfred

Reaction score
Website
cluttonfred.info
Thanks for that. My understanding, though, is that there can be favorable interaction between the two wings, notably reducing induced drag in cruise and/or greatly improving low-speed handling, depending on the focus of the design.