Maru-Se rocket powered submarine

World B4

my bad y'all
Reaction score
Hi.

There is a short article series about IJA late-war developments in Ground Power Special Issue 2/2005"Less Known Army Ordnance of the Rising Sun". This is the source for the pics mentioned above.

Sadly I have to say that there are only few sources on these things and some projects are weird even for me. I´m about to rewrite a lot of older pages from my website due to new sources I found and a lot of the older things like these are full of mistakes of me trying to read japanese :mad:...

All I could proof by now is that there where were several projects at wars end with more or less value including Maru-Se, submersible guns etc. but only few reached prototype stage.

Jentschura, Mikel, Jentsch: "Warships of the Imperial Japanese Navy 1869 - 1945" mentions Maru-Se being a project of a Walther-type jet engine powered speedboat by Kawasaki, not a (semi) submergeable boat, with a prototype finished in August 1945.

But the pictures definitely show a submarine-style vehicle and they definitely have the designation "Type 5 (something)"...

Yours

tom! ;)