Martin Baker MB4

Merv_P

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
I've put together a 3-view of the MB4, a Martin Baker aircraft that was designed but never built. The only picture I've seen is thumbnail-sized, but what there is looks exactly like a halfway-stage between the 3 and the 5, and I've drawn it as such.

The main source is an old 'Air Enthusiast' article on the MB5. I can't claim pinpoint accuracy, but I think the general shape is right.

Looking at the performance and size figures of the other two aircraft, I'd imagine we've got a Tempest-class flighter here.

See what you think.

Attachments

• mb4_3-view.gif
    mb4_3-view.gif
    125.9 KB · Views: 584
Thanks, Justo; I didn't know that there was a Centaurus variant of the MB 4.

Justo, are the MB sideviews from Wings of Fame Vol 9?

On the MB.4, the Centaurus was a backup for the Griffon. As such, could we not expect the MB.4 to be something of a halfway house between the unbuilt 'bubble canopy' MB.3 and the MB.5?

Here's the thumbnail (from Wikipedia) I used; I hadn't seen the drawings from Wings of Fame until now.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 837
Justo: thanks

Merv: that Wikipedia image isn't the MB.4. It is from Dennis Punnett's 1961 3-view of the MB.3 (back when it was still believed that the MB.3 prototype had been converted to a bubble canopy before crashing.

That drawing appears in William Green's War Planes of the Second World War: Fighter Vol 2 (p.87) along with a retouched photo purporting to show the MB.3 prototype with that bubble canopy slid back.

Original MB.4 drawing via Phil Butler and Tony Buttler.

Attachments

• Martin-Baker-MB.4edt.jpg
    Martin-Baker-MB.4edt.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 476
From Le Fana 503.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    247.4 KB · Views: 288