Martin 176-C

Very interesting. Is there more information about this design or is it just the 3-view?

James McDonnell worked for Martin - would not surprise me if this had his input. Agree that it has the features that showed up in the McDonnell Model 1 and later, XP-67.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Good Day All -

Yesterday I had the good fortune of meeting Ron Farver, whose Father, Lyle Farver, was one of the design engineers for the Martin model for which photos are attached. Steve Richardson and his wife Peggy, who live here in the St. Louis and authored the Osprey X-Planes Series book on the XP-67 (https://www.librarything.com/work/29458795), brought him out the hangar and Ron kindly brought the wind tunnel model along with a plethora of drawings and documents which were his Father's collection. The model is 85 years old(!) and is in excellent shape. Ron and his wife are moving to the St. Louis area and at some point, we'll 3D scan the model so we can create a CAD model to CNC cut a wood replica of the model for the Museum and 3D print models as well. A bit of history to go with it - Ron found the model in its original storage box that his Father kept in since taking it home from work. The horizontal stabilizer is the only moveable part and is secured by set screws. The stand was actually made by Ron and he asked his Father about a data plate and Lyle made the plate you see on the stand so it is not an original Martin stand/plate.

I look forward to spending more time with Ron and perusing the rest of the collection of drawings, documents and photos that he has saved from his Father's belongings. Lyle was involved with design work with Driggs Aircraft, designed the Cain Sport light plane and designed the fuselage for the Luscombe 4 amongst other work prior to going to work for McDonnell Aircraft in September 1939.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• zMG_E0560.jpg
    zMG_E0560.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 66
  • zMG_E0558.jpg
    zMG_E0558.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
  • zMG_E0553.jpg
    zMG_E0553.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
  • zMG_E0551.jpg
    zMG_E0551.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 33
  • zMG_E0550.jpg
    zMG_E0550.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
  • zMG_E0549.jpg
    zMG_E0549.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 29
  • zMG_E0547.jpg
    zMG_E0547.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
  • zMG_E0546.jpg
    zMG_E0546.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 25
  • zMG_E0545.jpg
    zMG_E0545.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 25
  • zMG_E0544.jpg
    zMG_E0544.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 25
  • zMG_E0561.jpg
    zMG_E0561.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 65
Last edited:
zMG_E0553, that view from off the port bow, I do like its lines from that angle, Nice!

Going through that collection sounds like it could be a slow motion long duration Christmas Day.