Marquardt Composite Engines

DSE

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Marquardt Composite or Combined Cycle Engine/propulsion System reports on NTRS. Includes SERJ.

http://ntrs.larc.nasa.gov/search.jsp?N=0&Ntk=Title&Ntx=mode%20matchall&Ntt=%22A%20study%20of%20composite%20propulsion%20systems%20for%20advanced%20launch%20vehicle%20applications%22

Attachments

• marquart_composite_engines_fwd.jpg
    marquart_composite_engines_fwd.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 334
Via the General Dynamics/Convair hypersonic transport designs thread (h/t blackkite):
eq5icdnwkaisfwz-jpg.654270

eq5icdzxsaekk_l-jpg.654271

Mentions both the scramjet that was developed and tested for the Air Force's Low Altitude Supersonic Vehicle (LASV) and the hydrogen powered Ejector Ramjet developed for the HST program as well as USAF applications.

Last edited:
Composite engines for application to a single-stage-to-orbit vehicle (these are SERJ): https://ntrs.nasa.gov/api/citations/19760006115/downloads/19760006115.pdf
Has supposedly 7 different engine configurations and how they are positioned respective to a 2D inlet, I only found 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7. All use LH2 except 6 and 7, which use JP-4 (and have less ISP). The different engine configurations come with tradeoffs between ISP and TWR among other factors: for example, Engine 4 has 70-86% increased thrust over engine 3 (percentage depending on whether you count the inlet or not), but 56 seconds less ISP.

PDF also includes COMPOSITE PROPULSION SYSTEMS FOR AN ADVANCED REUSABLE LAUNCH VEHICLE APPLICATION by the same author, which uses these engines for an airbreather TSTO.

SERJ operating modes.png SERJ ISP.png 1626885549111.png

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 1-2.jpg
    1-2.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 2-2.jpg
    2-2.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 70
  • 3-2.jpg
    3-2.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 4, 5 and 7.jpg
    4, 5 and 7.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 60
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 5 temp.jpg
    5 temp.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 69
The SERJ was such a great engine ! Shame they didn't used it for Lockheed D-21. Escher actually did briefed the Skunk Works, but they were not interested.

NASA (nearly) brought SERJ and D-21 together, but in the 90's...

Agreed, out of most of the engines I've seen so far, SERJ is one of the better concepts. I'm somewhat critical of the ejector feature however: it provides an increase in thrust but you could just do that in fan mode by switching on the ramjet, then the ramjet should suffice till a possible scramjet stage (you go back to the "normal way", lose all the magic that makes the SERJ unique, but gain ISP). I'm not sure the additional ejector thrust justifies additional complexity of the engine, unless of course it's a huge craft hat needs a lot of thrust.

Some time ago I've frantically downloaded every single SERJ / Escher Pdf I could get my hands on on the web. William J.D Escher was a prolific writer unfortunately he passed away some years ago.
There were many variants of the ERJ / SERJ along the years. I personnaly prefers the RP-1 / H2O2 late work, but it is just me daydreaming about "airlines to space", 2001 style.

So rumor has it that a SERJ prototupe engine escaped destruction still exist in someone's garage....?

Ind
So rumor has it that a SERJ prototupe engine escaped destruction still exist in someone's garage....?
Indeed? Who has it and where is it located? What is the source for the scuttle?