Man Successfully Flies With Custom-Built Bird Wings

It seems Jarno Smeets is using battery powered actuators to flap the wings, while using a smartphone and Wii controllers to convert his arm movements into wing movements. Link.
Jarno: When I was studying in England, my knowledge about mechanical- and electronical engineering started to expand. I soon discovered that flapping wings without external powersupport would be impossible. During the more boring lectures I started sketching and writing down ideas about how wings could be powerassisted by actuators during their flapping movement. Back then there were no easy accessible components to, for example, collect arm movement data. The last few years a lot of exciting consumer devices, like Wii controllers and Smartphones, have been developped which changed my original ideas drastically..
A problem used to be, where do I find batteries light enough to be able to power strong electromotors for a longer continuous period. Since the introduction of Lithium Polymer batteries on the consumer market, this problem wasn’t relevant anymore. Components like these are very affordable and easily accessible, through webshops and online marketplaces.
<edit>If no mention had been made of powered actuators I would have dismissed this as a fake. Now, I'm not sure. Thank you for posting.

bazz said:
What do the good people of SP think?

Hmmm.
1) basic skepticism says "Bah."
2) Notice that this video is the one that shows success. All the others are apparenly leading up to this. And they knew *months* in advance that this video would be the final, successful one. "14 out of 14."
3) It's a common feature of hoax videos to have extremely enthusiastic "witnesses" jump into the field of view and go wacky. This video has just such a witness.

A straightforward way to fake this would be to have be largely real... but he's being towed, perhaps by a thin cable on a winch. Simply edit out the cable. Shrug.

Fake. The four feet of deflection at that frequency wouldn't generate enough lift to get him off the ground much less sustained flight.

Birds generate lift and considerable forward thrust on the downstroke, slight backward thrust and lift on the upstroke. In Jarno Smeets' video, it's clearly visible that his body moves up and down, which indicates he's getting either no lift or negative lift on the downstroke. The altitude reached in quite a short distance is suggestive of efficient wing movement, but this is counter-indicated by his body's up and down movements. Looking at the shape of the wings in flight, I don't see how meaningful forward thrust can be generated.
- Some lift appears to be generated on the downstroke
- No lift, and likely negative lift, appears to be generated on the upstroke
- Doubtful forward thrust on the downstroke

For comparison:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q5DY72dJck&feature=related

Gizmodo.com had an interesting article debunking the whole thing including animators at Lucasfilm's ILM division pointing out obvious errors in digital compositing including mention of them showing a screenshot of Maya (a 3d rendering application) that was supposedly
a show of their CAD/CAM setup for producing the framework but Maya would not be suitable for doing this. The damning evidence was
the very screen shows that they had it set up to render a cloth fabric in the image - in other words, the whole thing is a nicely done fake
of 3d rendering with some errors here and there. Quite a nice video though.

aliensporebomb said:
in other words, the whole thing is a nicely done fake of 3d rendering with some errors here and there. Quite a nice video though.

Whatever came to this engineer's mind, he's pretty much ruined his credibility and his career with this hoax...

Stargazer2006 said:
aliensporebomb said:
in other words, the whole thing is a nicely done fake of 3d rendering with some errors here and there. Quite a nice video though.

Whatever came to this engineer's mind, he's pretty much ruined his credibility and his career with this hoax...

The plot thickens: apparently the company he allegedly works for has apparently never heard of him and now he apparently be contacted in any way. It's possible he never existed.

But, here is the interesting saga thus far:
http://gizmodo.com/5895235/cgi-experts-say-flying-bird-man-is-fake

http://gizmodo.com/5895638/flying-bird-man-admits-flying-bird-man-is-fake++here-he-is
It is a fake :)

I thought he was towed, because you can see him land right between two tiretracks.
Never thought of all cgi..
Nice work :)

My head was telling me it was a hoax my heart wanted it to be real. ::)

I wonder if it is any good with a tow?

Notice, that tree on right of frame at "takeoff" at 30 secs is the same as tree at "landing at 1min 05. Footage in between is aerial shots and foliage does not match to what we can see on ground.

He's confessed to the hoax....

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/03/birdman-admits-hoax/

Though even now the 'believers' are claiming that the 'confession' video is the hoax, not the 'flight' one........

cheers,
Robin.