Mach Buster Supersonic Turboprop Aircraft

Not to hijack this thread, but here is one more unlimited racer designed by Skip Holm and AirBoss (my company). This was done just before the weight limitation was brought into effect. So, it never came to be. It would left all the boys in the wake - lol - after all the sqawks were worked out. We should probably start a new thread if racer discussion are to continue.
How was this supposed to be powered ?
The racer was going to be powered by a custom build V-12 that would put out over 2,750hp under race conditions. The aircraft would have been very light for a racer - in the neighborhood of 4,200lb gross.
Falconer/LS based?
1000 cu in ?
At the time, we were working with groups out of England and Italy. Since the aircraft was intended for unlimited, and not super sport, the displacement was well in excess of 1000 cu in.

Not to hijack this thread, but here is one more unlimited racer designed by Skip Holm and AirBoss (my company). This was done just before the weight limitation was brought into effect. So, it never came to be. It would left all the boys in the wake - lol - after all the sqawks were worked out. We should probably start a new thread if racer discussion are to continue.
The racer was going to be powered by a custom build V-12 that would put out over 2,750hp under race conditions. The aircraft would have been very light for a racer - in the neighborhood of 4,200lb gross.
Falconer/LS based?
1000 cu in ?
At the time, we were working with groups out of England and Italy. Since the aircraft was intended for unlimited, and not super sport, the displacement was well in excess of 1000 cu in.
I see...the infamous Dart Renaissance had 1000 cu in displacement engine intended.

Falconer/LS based?
1000 cu in ?
Considering that there are 400 cubic inch LS V8s without overbore, that'd put a V12 to 600ci before you start enlarging things. Add lots of stroke for more displacement till you need to notch the pistons to clear the counterweights, then add bore. That'd be 527ci V8s, 790 cubic inch V12s, maybe 800ci with a squidge more overbore.

572ci versions of the V12 LS are pushing 1000hp in mild tune, so an 800ci should be around 1400hp in mild tune. Add lots more boost, water injection, and spray bars on the radiators to help pull more heat out, there you go.

Though the Falconer may have been built on the old 454 big block architecture originally, which can get stupid big in drag engines. 872 cubic inches is the biggest I've seen as a V8. That'd be 1300 cubic inches as a V12.

Falconer/LS based?
1000 cu in ?
That's a beast.

Makes sense, though. No sense trying to get stupid about light weight and high RPMs when you're turning a prop anyways. Go big and keep the boost numbers a little closer to earth, instead of 140+inhg manifold pressure

Falconer/LS based?
1000 cu in ?
Considering that there are 400 cubic inch LS V8s without overbore, that'd put a V12 to 600ci before you start enlarging things. Add lots of stroke for more displacement till you need to notch the pistons to clear the counterweights, then add bore. That'd be 527ci V8s, 790 cubic inch V12s, maybe 800ci with a squidge more overbore.

572ci versions of the V12 LS are pushing 1000hp in mild tune, so an 800ci should be around 1400hp in mild tune. Add lots more boost, water injection, and spray bars on the radiators to help pull more heat out, there you go.

Though the Falconer may have been built on the old 454 big block architecture originally, which can get stupid big in drag engines. 872 cubic inches is the biggest I've seen as a V8. That'd be 1300 cubic inches as a V12.
Fastest piston driven car pulled 3150 hp...from a small TIO 540 or equivalent.

Fastest piston driven car pulled 3150 hp...from a small TIO 540 or equivalent.

Running 35psi boost, methanol fuel, and icewater in the intercooler.

Kryptid said:
I realize that the transonic zone has a large amount of drag and that at low supersonic speeds the drag is actually less. What if one were to design such a propeller-driven aircraft to be carried by a larger supersonic aircraft, such as a B-1, which would carry it above the draggy transonic regime and release it? Would this be more practical than trying to push through Mach 1 with a propeller directly?

The propeller stops being a sensible tool for propulsion at little more than 800 km/h at the latest. The Tu-95 bomber flies at about 900 km/h mostly as a turbojet aircraft.

An easy way to break the sound barrier is to simply dive for a few seconds, and turn altitude into velocity (potential into kinetic energy). Even works for parachutists. :)
I recall reading the memoir of an RAF Nimrod pilot, who reported encountering a Tu-95 when both planes were on patrol. At first the Nimrod caught up with the Tu-95, until the Russian crew spotted it, shoved the throttles open and the Tu-95 disappeared into the distance.

Back
Top Bottom