M203 (?) Strange T16 carrier variant

Petrus

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Elsewhere on the Internet I have found information on a strange variant of the T16 carrier. In "T16 - the American Carrier" (Classic Military Vehicles, November 2001, p.36-39), David Fletcher supposedly wrote the following:
A photograph exists of a modified version designated M203, which should indicate that it was taken into service by the United States Army, but no published information can be found. The front end has clearly been modified into a more modern configuration and it also appears to carry the designation MCV-167, the meaning of which is unclear - 'Mechanised Cavalry Vehicle' or 'Mechanised Cargo Vehicle' have been suggested but not confirmed.

You'll find the photo attached here.

Do you have any further information regarding the vehicle?

Piotr

Attachments

• t16-m203-resized.jpg
    t16-m203-resized.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 882
From looking at the running gear, it is a T-16 (US built version of British Bren Gun carrier). I haven't seen that configuration of superstructure before, but from all accounts the basic T-16 was already at the limit of its development potential.

The Bundeswehr (German Army) used the T 16, too, and one example was experimantally
fitted with launchers for 7 SS 10 anti tank missiles. The SS 10 was regarded as an intermediate
weapon only and so this conversion was never fielded. The basic vehicle could well have been
similar to the one shown above, so I didn't start a new thread.
(Photo and information from "Typenkompass Artillerie, Panzer- und Luftabwehrsystem der
Bundeswehr" by K. Anweiler and M. Pahlkötter)

Attachments

• T-16_SS-10.JPG
    T-16_SS-10.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 381
The photo very strongly reminds me of the Carrier, Tracked, CT20, the Oxford Carrier. I wonder if this was an American attempt to develop a similar armoured carrier based on the T16 chassis for the US Army?